Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athomeinvagw

holligator- island size?

athomeinvagw
14 years ago

Holligator your kitchens is one of my favorites; I was sorry to hear about your flood and I hope that everything is getting back to normal for you! I hope that you do not mind me asking for some details about your island- mainly the dimensions and how much leg room for stools you have. Also can you tell me how wide of an aisle you have on the 3 sides with cabinetry?

No hurry, I feel kinda bad asking for info from you when I am sure you have tons of stuff to deal with as it is. My first thought when I read about your flood was that I hope it didn't damage your beautiful ceilings- did they hold up ok?

Comments (17)

• athomeinvagw
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dang! I hate rereading my posts and seeing the errors- kitchens, ceilings???

• holligator
    14 years ago

Hi, and sorry to be so long in responding, but I've been traveling (and handling repairs via phone). Thanks for the kind words!

These plans for my island and for the overall layout changed slightly in terms of cabinet configuration, but the measurements on the things you're asking about stayed almost exactly the same, so I hope they are helpful.

Oh, and the ceilings held up fine! :)

• athomeinvagw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much, very helpful!

• meetmeinthegarden
    14 years ago

Anyone know where can I find the link to Holligator's finished kitchen?

• holligator
    14 years ago

Anyone know where can I find the link to Holligator's finished kitchen?

Unfortunately, it's not finished yet! It has been very close for over a year, but it still needs a backsplash, among other things. However, here are a couple of pics in its "almost done" state.

Let me know if you're interested in something specific, and I'll try to get a better pic or answer your question.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I hope it's okay that I bogart the thread and ask about your range, holligator. What brand is it? How do you like the set-up? I don't have space for the standard 2 oven pro-range but I'd love the flexibility of more than 1 oven. Plus I hate the idea of heating up a huge oven when I'm just cooking one item.

Your kitchen is lovely!

TIA!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

bump.

Holligator, are you out there?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I have a question too!!! What are you planning for your backsplash?

Your kitchen has the same feel i want ours to have, and now that I am considering a darker honed stone with our shaker cherry cabinets, I am wondering what backsplash tile to use! What is your plan?

• footballmom
    14 years ago

I have a question too, holligator. Do you mind not having the DW right next to the sink? Is there any problem loading and unloading? It looks like you have the dish drawers. Do you like them?
    TIA G

• athomeinvagw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like an AGA to me.

• footballmom
    14 years ago

Bump

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

bump

• holligator
    14 years ago

Hello, hello, I'm back! Sorry to be so slow to respond, but I've been traveling and away from GW for days (thanks for the heads up, Rita!).

OK, to answer questions...

lisa_a, about the range, athomeinva is right, it is an AGA Legacy 36" dual fuel. I, too, was taken by the oven arrangement and multiple ovens when I saw this pic in one of their ads:

Unfortunately, the photo is a bit misleading. The turkey pictured must be tiny, because the 12-pound one I got at Thanksgiving didn't fit nearly that well. Also, there is no turkey roaster made by any major cookware company that will fit in that oven. I bought the smallest one in town (I measured about 25!) and it was too big by about a 1/2 inch. I ended up using a regular small roasting pan an putting foil underneath for the juice that dripped over the sides. Also, those pans in the tall oven are not standard 13x9 pans. Well, they may be 13x9, but nearly every 13x9 pan out there has handles protruding from the ends, which make them too big to fit in the tall oven. Supposedly, AGA sells cookware that fits, but it's impossible to find in the US.

My other major complaint about the ovens is the absolutely ridiculously long preheat time. I have to really plan ahead, because it takes my ovens a minimum of 40 minutes to get heated to 350. If I want hotter, I have to wait longer. I have never had an oven that took even half that long to heat up, so it's really frustrating.

The broiler oven works well and doesn't take nearly as long to heat up, but it doesn't accommodate many items. The maximum space between the bottom of the slide-out broiler pan and the heating elements is about an inch and a half. I wanted to toast a leftover biscuit the other day, so I cut it in half and added cheese to the top, but on the thicker half, the cheese rubbed against the heating element as I slid the pan out and made a bit of a mess.

The cooktop, on the other hand, has been wonderful. The five-burner arrangement has worked great. It has one super high-power burner, one medium-high, and three regular burners. The are easy to control, although the igniter doesn't work reliably.

Given the price, I expected better performance from my AGA. I would not buy another Legacy.

staceyneil, about the backsplash, I have finally settled on a field tile and may be ordering it any day now. It's a Seneca tile that has a great handmade look to it. It's a somewhat boring off-white color, but that should really bring out the veins in my soapstone and keep the kitchen light. I have gotten so used to the painted backsplash that I knew I couldn't go darker.

I am still trying to decide if I will have any accent tiles. I'm thinking of doing either a strip of 2x2-inch square soapstone tiles or two strips of 1x1-inch squares. The strip would probably be about four or five inches from the counter. I was planning on trying some mock-ups to get feedback sometime soon. Maybe this post will motivate me to get that done! :)

footballmom, I love the DW location. When the drawer is open, it extends almost all the way to my hip and makes for very comfortable loading and unloading. I do love the drawers. It seems amazing that no one had come up with this design before this. It's so, so much more sensible than the old-fashioned shin-banger doors. I love that I can load it and start it and still be able to load the second one at my leisure. Each drawer holds about 60% of a regular DW load, so together, they hold 120%. This works out great for us, because with just two of us here most of the time, that 60% is plenty, but when we have guests, the two drawers accommodate everything so much better than our old DW.

There. I hope I got all the questions!

• footballmom
    14 years ago

Thank you for the response. I purchased a Miele 863 and the thing is that the salesman did not tell me about the problems with my kind of setup, so I may need to rethink my plans. You kitchen is one of my inspirations....

• holligator
    14 years ago

footballmom, does your setup have DW perpendicular to the sink like mine does? If so, I wouldn't worry, even with a traditional DW door. I had that configuration for 11 years and did just fine with it. In fact, I had planned to keep the DW in my new kitchen in that spot even before I decided to go with the drawers, because it had worked out well for so long. I do have about 20-24" between the edge of my sink and the corner, so there's plenty of room for a DW door to open.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

thanks, holligator for not only telling me what your range is but the whole scoop on it. I'm sorry it hasn't lived up to your expectations. Sounds like it won't work for me either. Back to the drawing board for me!

• footballmom
    14 years ago

Yes, Holligator, my kitchen is going to end up with that kind of setup. It has been a real Pain to get a new kitchen plan done as the one done by the KD ( who ordered cabinets based on his measurements and plans) won't work, so a new plan has to be reworked. The shop agreed to buy whatever cabinets I need to rework the plan, but it has been very difficult to get one that will function the way I need it too and not just be jimmy-rigged the way they what to..... The question regarding the dish drawers is because the salesman where I purchased the DW told me that the intake hoses and drain hose cannot be any longer than 6 feet total according to Miele. I am a little suspicious, so have emailed miele. The KD told me the I would had the DW at the diagonal, but I prefer that to the single bowl 22 inch sink he wants me to use to fit the DW in the sink run. I also considered a corner sink, but LWO is adamant that it isn't a good idea with a granite top.... It is very draining and here I am with two rooms looking like a shambles for almost 2 years trying to work at this kitchen plan and refigure appliances..... companies are not always fast responding to consumer questions, so I am calling the Miele recommended service place tomorrow to see if the setup is ok.. Thanks for the help.