Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Cushy Cupboards?

gobruno
14 years ago

Previously, I had read posts about cushy cupboards, but I can't find any of them. I know folks love them. Can you tell me what's so great about them? Should I line every single drawer/shelf with them?

We had traditional semi-sticky shelf liners in our last house. When we removed them, it took off some of the finish on the drawers. I didn't like that. Will cushy cupboards have the same problem?

Thanks!

Comments (39)

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

I bought some online, and they are not at all sticky so I don't think they will hurt your finish. But they are stiff and thick enough that they should stay in place and not bunch up.

On one of the treads I read before buying them. someone compared them to the material that electronics sometimes come wrapped in and I do see the resemblence, but they seem a little thicker to me than what would be used for wrapping.

So far, I am happy with them.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I love my Cushy Cupboards. I was skeptical of all the hype, but they are definitely living up to it. So far, I have only lined drawers, but I have recently received a new order, so I have more to play with. Hooray!

They should not remove any finish because they aren't sticky at all. They are very easy to clean, and they are different from other shelf liners I have tried.

They really are difficult to explain. You just hafta experience them. Sounds weird, I know. ;^)

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

They are a foam-like material, but do not stick to your shelves. If fitted property, they won't move either. I like them because they're like a cushion, yet firm enough for my plates and glasses. I also put one in my frig produce drawer, and it's so easy to take out and wash when necessary.

They're pricey, but the best thing I've found for cabinet/drawer shelving. They don't roll either.

You don't have to use them in every drawer, but where there is heavy items, plates, and glasses, that's where they're especially effective to keep from scraping the surface of the shelves. Also good where messes may occur with cleaners too.

HTH.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I have a combination of Cushy Cupboards and cork. The cork is prettier, and nice for under pots and dishes, but it wants to roll, it's a bit fragile, it's more expensive, and it smells (it's bark). The Cushy Cupboards is great in the drawer I didn't have time to wash the organizers for yet, and just tossed the utensils and gadgets in. They don't roll around. It's marvelous under cans and all in the pantry. It feels good putting things on it. And this stuff can go in the dishwasher if something nasty leaks!

Some tips for fitting: Use a utility knife, metal yardstick, and board, or rotary cutter/ruler and mat, to cut, if you can.

Use a good quality measure tape and a three by five card to get an accurate measure of your shelf or drawer. Put the card against the edge where the body of the tape is, and measure to the edge of the card, then add the size of the card. Don't assume that all the shelves or drawer bottoms in a cabinet are exactly the same size.

I like my cork a lot, but could probably have been happy with all Cushy Cupboards. It looks a little dumb going in, but it feels really really nice in use.

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

pillog -

I am trying to decide on this exact thing - cushy cupboard vs. cork. At the moment I don't think I will line everything. The first ones I want to do are - 2 pan drawers which include quite a bit of cast iron, a baking ware drawer where I have dividers and put pand on side, and "oil pullout" in the base.

I like the natural look of things - wood, our stone tile floor, granite counters. I want easy clean and keep looking nice.

If you were making the decision and had yet to buy - cork or cushy cupboard?

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I put them in and I like them. They are easy to clean and I think they look nice. A hint to get them to lay flat, I ironed them! I put a towel between the Cushy Cupboards and the iron and it worked great.

• plllog
    14 years ago

My cast iron is enamelled, so I don't have pot marks. My shelves and drawers are hard varnished and really don't need liners, but these cupboards are meant to last the rest of my life, and it's so much easier to clean liners.

On the cork, it depends on what you get. I didn't want the sticky of the Contact brand, and my kitchen is big. I bought a couple of different large rolls, and found the Portuguese cork (duh) much superior (duh) to the Chinese cork. A heavy stack of plates did, immediately, create a pressure ring. Also, things don't slide on it. If you push, the cork moves. A heavier sheet cork might work better. Something like they use on floors. But the price would probably be prohibitive.

For the look, cork wins. For function and price, Cushy Cupboards wins. I don't like lining paper much, and really don't like contact paper for lining. Formica, melamine or commercial sheet vinyl are much more permanent, plastic, and expensive, but are very functional, especially if cemented in place. Barring that, Cushy Cupboards, which is also plastic, is next best. Cork is pretty. And kind of annoying. I'm glad I have it for my dishes and pots, but my bakeware is on the Cushy Cupboards and I like that too.

I guess if I have to choose, it's Cushy by a hair.

• atd_oc
    14 years ago

I noticed that Cushy Cupboards are on sale at DeNault's again this month. They have sales about 3 times a year and the 24" roll is on sale for the regular price of the 12" roll. So, you can buy all 24" and cut them in half.

I am not sure when the sale is over.

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

I even used them in my fridge! Makes cleaning up spills (kids ALWAYS spill something) so much easier. Yeah, it sounds like overkill but works for moi.

• datura-07
    14 years ago

thanks for the heads up on the sale. I love them and can always find new places to put it.

• datura-07
    14 years ago

Here are the prices at DeNault's True Value. The 24" roll is regularly $17.99 and now $12.97. The 12" roll is reg. $11.97 on sale for $8.97.

Those are great prices.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Cross-posted from the shelf lining thread:

I was never into lining my drawers although I did line the old cabs here with contact paper--I was too skeeved to put my things in them without it. They weren't very nice.
    In the new kitchen cabs I used Cushy Cupboards in the drawers/pull-outs that have pots/pans, glass baking dishes or some small appliances, in order to muffle clanking noises, prevent scraping, or sliding around. I also used it in the pull-out with oils and vinegars, and my wood cutting boards (which I oil after use) in order to avoid oily build up in/on the drawers. Otherwise, everything goes right into/onto the au naturel drawers and cabs.

• debpic
    14 years ago

I ordered my Cushy Cupboards on April 5 at regular price and just received them with the sale prices datura just mentioned. That is a wonderful surprise Kiddo's to Denault! I have never used this product but it does look interesting and I'm certain just by the feel of the liners that I want it under heavy or fragile items. Again, thanks to all for info on this item. Now if only my cabinets would come in..........

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Does anyone know what the shipping charges are at Denaults? I can't seem to find out without putting in credit card info first. Thanks.

• debpic
    14 years ago

Countrygal~I live in NJ and the cost for shipping 5 - 24" and 4 - 12" came to $15.41. Hope this info helps!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

debpic1 - thanks!

• atd_oc
    14 years ago

You can probably call DeNault's on Monday and they will tell you exactly how much. Maybe they even have a free shipping on orders over amount that that will help.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Ugh--I tried to order this and $33 of Cushy Cabs had $30 of shipping!! No way! Not paying $60 for cupboard liner....went to IKEA and bought the $4.99 ones for most of the shelves.

Hopefully I can find a roll of the Cushy Cabinets at a local store and NOT pay shipping.....

• atd_oc
    14 years ago

Why was it so much? Do you live in a remote location?

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

I tried ordering from DeNaults too - one roll of the 24".

It was coming from CA to WA and was $10 shipping. I too didn't submit the order as that almost totally negates the sale price. Way too much to pay for shipping.

This stuff is a pain to locate. Cushy Cupboards website lists one store in our state that carries it and it's an hour away.

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

Not sure why it's so high. I ordered last week from DeNaults and one roll of 24" was $8 shipping and handling to Boston!

• plllog
    14 years ago

I think it's the one roll thing that's the problem, along with an old fashioned distance based schedule. When I've ordered 10 rolls at a time, the shipping has been little enough--something like $10, but within So. Cal. DeNaults is an hour from me too. I'd spend well more on gas to get there and back.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Wow, $30 for shipping is awfully steep! Just a couple months ago I ordered from DeNaults--4 rolls of the 24", and it was around $10 for shipping, and I'm in the midwest.

• plllog
    14 years ago

You know...I wonder if it's a web site thing? It might be giving you a shipping price off of an algorithm that has nothing to do with the real price. Give them a call and make sure.

• pudgybaby
    14 years ago

I just ordered 3 of the 24 inch rolls off of the website. Shipping was $8.86 to Denver (UPS Ground).

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Going to try again with a few of the other choices and try Google shopping. Seriously, $30 shipping of two rolls to the San Francisco area?

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

Well I broke down and bought it. My shipping went up with more rolls. From $10.54 for one roll to $11.25 for 2.

The clincher was that I called the one store in WA state that carries it, and sell it for $23/roll and said it never has and never will go on sale. So it would have been about $50 to buy 2 rolls in person and was $37 to buy 2 rolls from DeNaults, even with $11 shipping.

• datura-07
    14 years ago

$30 just doesn't seem right. I've never paid that much.

• atd_oc
    14 years ago

Try calling them because from one CA to another should be less than to ship out of state. They probably have a "contact us" on their website.

• beejay27
    13 years ago

I missed Denault's sale in April. Does anyone know when the next sale will be? I called them and all they could tell me was that the liners wouldn't be on sale again in the next couple of months. For those kinds of savings I may hold off.

• beejay27
    13 years ago

bump

• jcla
    13 years ago

Thanks to this thread, I got several rolls from DeNaults when it was on sale in April. (Shipping was quite reasonable to No. Calif.) Since then, our contractor has found melamine-like sheets that work beautifully as shelf and drawer liners. They're a textured white, easy to clean, can be cut (sawn) to fit, and lie flat. Not sure what the stuff is really called, or where he got it. (It comes in sheets the size of sheetrock.) I'll probably use the Cushy Cupboards too, but we're using the melamine (or whatever it is) for the large areas, such as under the sink, under the cooktop (where we store pots and pans), pantry, and such.

• atd_oc
    13 years ago

My favorite spot for CushyCupboards is under the pots and pans because you can pull out the bottom pot (of a stack) and the liner stays in place. Also, pots and pans scratch the surface and leave marks and CC solves that problem also.

I also love that it has some grip & it may keep the glasses/china on the shelf in an earthquake. I know my friend with a motor home loves it to keep things in place.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I just spent all afternoon lining my drawers with CC, and wiping the others that already had it. I feel so tidy now. LOL.

Love, love this stuff! :^)

• momofonlymutts
    13 years ago

Based on all of the great reviews of this product on GW, I ordered a case. My new kitchen will be done within the next 10 days or so and I can't wait to use CC. It was a little "spendier" than many other shelf liners, but I trust it will be worth it.

The only store in my state to carry it (per the CC website) has a disconnected phone number. I ordered it online from cupboardliner.com (no sale right now at Denault's and this was best pricing I could find).

If anyone has any awesome shortcuts on cutting it, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!!

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

For cutting, use a roller cutter; you can buy them at sewing store, and probably also craft stores. Very easy. Just make sure there is something underneath to protect your cutting surface. Those things are sharp!

• ladelta
    13 years ago

It's amazing that this message popped up today. I was just signing on to ask if anyone had a great liner to recommend!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Use a scrap board underneath, even if you have a cutting mat, if you're using a rotary cutter or craft knife to cut the cushy cupboards. If you have granite, your knife probably won't hurt the granite, but the granite could quickly dull your knife! You can also easily cut Cushy Cupboards with scissors. You can draw on it with a soft pencil or marker, but take care so the mark won't show after it's cut.

The liner will flatten given a short amount of time.

Measure carefully. Use a 3"x5" card and a quality measuring tape to get accurate measurements. That is, put the card against the side of the cupboard or drawer, and the tip of the tape against the other side. Measure to the card's edge, then add the size of the card. This is much more accurate than just using the tape.

An L-square or T-square will help a lot, if you have one. Any machined metal long measure (yardstick or longer) will also help. Second choice would be a large rotary cutting acrylic ruler for marking your lines, or cutting against. Make sure that your measurements are accurate to your tape measure.

Start with the largest spaces and work your way down. There'll be plenty of scrap, much of which can be used.

If you have a very tricky area, make a template first out of scrap paper. An upper corner can be eeked out of the wide roll.

If you have a lot of storage, the wide roll is adequate for everything. You have one more cut to get two upper shelves out of the wide, unless they're exactly 12" deep, but it saves a lot of figuring which to buy.

• momofonlymutts
    13 years ago

Great advice on how to cut...thanks, folks! Hopefully I can post some pics of my new kitchen before too long. :-)