Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

can you retrofit this?

Mom23Es
12 years ago

This is the style of my rangetop base cabinet. The 36" version.

{{!gwi}}

This is what I want. Imagine it being a rangetop cabinet.

kitchen design by new york architect Crisp Architects

I have drawers flanking the rangetop, and the KD told me that if I try drawers under the rangetop they won't line up. He advised me that I should do one or the other. I really have a lot planned for those drawers flanking the rangetop so if I have to choose, that's where I want my drawers. I think the current cabinet in which I have to open both doors to pull out my pots and pans is going to be annoying. We are obviously not using a custom cabinet maker. I'm pretty sure we're going to use Medallion. Do you think I could find a cabinet maker or local carpenter to turn our current cabinet style into the more desireable style without replacing the whole cabinet?

I'm open to other ideas as well. :)

Comments (5)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I'm looking at the Cabinet Joint (.com)'s catalogue as we speak, and I think there is one with a drawer like you're talking.

You might have to either jiggle your flanking cabinets or make it such a difference it looks planned.

I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheCabinetJoint.com's Catalogue

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

If I understand you correctly, you currently have installed the top drawing (two full-width shelves behind two doors) and want the bottom picture (bottom shelf pullout with the doors, top internal drawer. There's a very top drawer that's where your cooktop goes.

Here's a way to do that but it depends on how handy you are or how good (=meticulous) your local handyman /cabinet guy is. We did a similar thing on a cab for a trash pullout on an existing pullout tray. It took the two of us eg me holding door so DH could measure. I don't have a pic of that one (I can take one if you think it'll help) but here's a pic of a different trash pullout of ours using the Rev a Shelf shelf as well as the Door Mount Kit. We use both pullouts for recycling.

1) Get two Rev A Shelf Door Mount Kits from somewhere, they're under $20 at Lowes in stock even here in NM lol.
    2) Make temp marks showing where the cab doors line up now. Maybe with blue tape or light pencil mark (so you can clean it off later!).
    3) If you have external hinges, unscrew the hinges from the cab *frame* but not the door. If you have internal hinges, you might be able to remove them completely but check beforehand how it'll look.
    4) While the bottom drawer is pulled out, hold each door up to it and mark /measure the Door Mount Kit. You might have to add a small piece of wood for the attachment or to reinforce. This is the meticulous part because you need about six hands and patience to make sure everything lines up correctly.

Now, when you pull on your cabinet door handles, the lower drawer pullout will come out. Then you can pull out the top drawer pullout.

When you shut it, the doors look like whatever other doors you have and you don't have to worry about lining up with the drawer stacks on each side of your cooktop stack.

Retrofitting is soooooo great to get cool features that you want without having to get new cabs!

Hope This Helps!

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

ok, I swear I read your post several times but I apologize that it didn't stick in my head that this a new installation, not retrofitting existing cabs.

If you don't find a new cab that's just what you want and you use what you showed here, you could still have your installer put the doors on the bottom pullout.

off to get more coffee...

• jakuvall
    12 years ago

Order the cabinet without doors, order a drawer front the correct size, a drawer box with glides for the bottom and a rollout with glides....field assemble. Make sure the support brackets for the glides at the back of cabinet are ordered too. Medallion will do some dimensional changes so there might be a cabinet that could be modified to make it a little easier. I don't handle the brand nowadays so not sure.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

In the inspiration photo the top drawer and the control panel on the range appear to be approx the same depth (top to bottom measurement). Will your top drawer be of similar depth to your rangetop control panel? If so, then you don't have to worry about lining up the top drawer. For the bottom drawer, if you want it to match the drawer bases flanking it, the cabinet installer can do a matching faux front on it so that it visually matches up. When you open the drawer, however it is really all one big drawer like in your picture. We did this on our spice rack pullout. Its a full counter-height pullout that has a faux front on it made to look like the matching 1/2 of a drawer over cabinet double door cabinet complete with matching pulls.

Then again, do you really want a 3 banks of identical drawers all in a row? Making them not match may not be a bad thing. Besides, the front control panel of the rangetop is going to set that section off as it's own separate entity anyway. I would see if your designer could print off a visual of both options to help you decide. I've attached a basic visual for you below.

I just noticed that the cabinet doors & drawers in the inspiration photo are inset. Will yours also be inset? With inset, you can lose a lot of space to the frame--especially when it comes to drawers.

Hope this helps!