Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Stainless steel and oil

Bunny
12 years ago

Yesterday my stainless fridge arrived. After the installers left, it was covered in fingerprints. I grabbed my sprayer of water + few drops of Dawn and wiped it down. It cleaned up okay but every time I went near it, it got smudgy again.

I had to go into the appliance store to report a small scratch on the door (they're going to fix it). I told them about cleaning it and they blanched a bit when I mentioned the soap in my mix. He said it removes all the oil in the surface, making the oil in your hands leave such noticeable marks. I bought some spray from them called Thor and did the entire surface when I got home. It not only left the surface looking better, but my fingerprints don't show up later on.

I've read where many of you use an alcohol+water+lavender oil mix to clean your SS appliances. You say the lavender oil is for a nice smell and also its antibacterial qualities. I wonder if it's also providing the oil that the metal is seeking from your fingertips.

I acknowledge that not all stainless surfaces are exactly the same. Magnets stick to my fridge. I need to clean each one with alcohol first or their ancient patina will leave a smudge.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    12 years ago

I have found Bayes Stainless Steel Cleaner and Conditioner to be, by far, the best. Google it to find some. Make sure you use a fiber cloth and just a few squirts. It lasts for over a week and no fingerprinting! Great stuff.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I'm a Sheila Shine girl myself. One can will last an entire lifetime.

• L thomas
    12 years ago

Sheila Shine is vegetable oil based. Bayes is also oil based, but not sure if it is vegetable oil. So yes, virtually all SS polish is oil and additives. In a bind, I have dapped some canola on a rag and have done my appliances. It's all just oil. You could also probably wipe a very light coating of veg oil on you magnets to keep them from smudging. And your appliance repair man was correct. Dish soap contains surfectants to break down oils. So using dish soap certainly will not hurt SS, it will leave it prone to smudging. If you're going to go that route, follow up the soap with a SS polish.