Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeylargo_gw

Jim Bishop Cabinets anyone?

skeylargo
11 years ago

I have few posts with cabinet ranking from this website but Jim Bishop was not on that list and I did not see much about them. Can someone tell me how good or bad they are quality-wise? I assume they are lower end cabinets? I was told they are semi-custom and can be framed or frame-less. The price I got a quote for them seemed good but I just don't know what level they are. Is they price good because they are low quality or because I was given a good price.

Comments (7)

• allison0704
    11 years ago

We have their upper priced cabinetry in the laundry room and bathrooms at our home. Have had no issues with the painted/glazed cabinets, but the stain/glazed in the MBath has a few places worn due to opening drawers with wet hands (DH!) for the past almost 7 years. It's not really noticeable though.

We bought just before they added the Blum as part of the Ultimate series... so when we bought the Deluxe was different than now. Ours have the nicer interiors. It was also just before they came out with inset cabinets, so I did not use them in our kitchen.

I had our installer cut off the bases and order/stain/paint/glaze furniture style feet in the bathrooms.

Master Bath:

Laundry:

I can't find the other 3 bathrooms in Photobucket, but one is similar to MBath and 2 are similar to Laundry room.

One reason Jim Bishop costs less is they do not advertise much - like Kraftmaid, etc.

DH and I each have one of the center MBath 3 drawers on our side of closet with a bookcase sitting on top. We also have their bookcases in our lower L shaped hallways. 5 in each hallway. Those are black painted.

We had our guy order a few sample doors so I could see in person before ordering.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Tour

This post was edited by allison0704 on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 14:36

• hcdny
    11 years ago

It's very decent cabinet line. Good quality and not that expensive.

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(allison0704) -Yuor cabinets look nice - I like the idea of cutting of feet in your bath - looks great. I definitely want the stained/glazed cabinets for the kitchen. I am a little concern that your finish is coming off after 7 years. wonder what it would do to the finish in the kitchen with addition of possibly grease and wetness. I would think that kitchen gets more abuse and more people touch it - especially the highly used drawers and cabs, sink cab. I have to check on the different series - not sure what leve mine are priced at.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Thank you. It's not the stain or glaze that's worn, looks like the overcoat or a clear finish? I'm not sure since the cabinets are not shiny, I don't know how else to describe. The other bathrooms are all fine and 2 of those are used daily.

I'm not home but can take a close up this weekend.

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Allison. So you think they would hold up just fine in the kitchen with 2 adults and 2 kids? We are not rough on things but would like the kitchen to hold up.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

The cabinets will hold up, but I can't/won't vouch for the finish since DH door has had issues - it is only one door, right top/sitting on counter cabinet. I thought it was in more places, but it's only the one. I looked at it yesterday afternoon, and I can scratch off more with my nail.

I've never had stained/glazed in the kitchen near water. Currently, we have it on either side of the range.. but it doesn't have a finish.

It is something I would ask JB about before ordering.

• skeylargo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Allison. I will check with them before I purchase.
    I do want the cabinet finish to hold up for a while or at least until we move :) which right now we think will be probably about 10 years.