Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islanddevil

NYCBlueDevil

islanddevil
11 years ago

Hi NYC I remember seeing pics of your beautiful walnut kitchen before it was complete. Did you ever post a final reveal with your backsplash? If so can you please post the link here? Would love to see it.

How are your marble counters holding up? Do you have to baby them or are you in the camp that doesn't mind etching?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Thanks Island. I never got around to posting the final photos. I am so bad at doing it but I will try to find some time this week to attempt it. The backsplash is basically the same as the counters, except in a 6 x 18 tile. The counters are holding up pretty well. One or two tiny chips along the edge where someone (not me, that's for sure) must have knocked something against them. There is some etching but it doesn't bother me that much. Would I do it again? Yes, definitely.

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great thanks would love to see it. I'm sure we all would! Sounds beautiful.

TheDork just posted a thread asking for suggestions about walnut cabs, Veneer or not, run grain vertical or horizontal and it reminded me that I haven't seen your beauty yet.

Here's that thread in case you want to offer an opinion from experience.

Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical or horizontal match.....

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooops forgot to ask, what door style did you go with for your beautiful Rutt cabs? Thanks.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I did post pictures of the kitchen before the backsplash was in and before the beehive lights were hung. Did you see that post? My grain is vertical, which I preferred for my space. The door style is called New Yorker. Rutt has a terrible website and that door style is not on the website. The door is basically a shaker style with an extra "step". I really really love the cabinets. Let me know if you have trouble finding the post, which was called "almost done--NYC galley with walnut and calacatta". I don't know how to link from my iPad.

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes that's why I remember it, so beautiful, but was hoping you had some with the backsplash and lighting.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Hopefully, this works.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

hopefully this works too

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

here is one more showing the new opening of the kitchen to the dining room

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

NYC I just love your kitchen! The cabinets are so beautiful and of course your WS is gorgeous. I really loved the chrome (it was the one on display at the plumbing supply house) but thought a brass or bronze would look better with my kitchen!

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

oh BTW how do you like your simple human paper towel dispenser? I almost ordered one from Amazon today but decided that I should wait til everything is done because I may have room to keep them tucked away under the sink.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Thanks HK. I think the paper towel dispenser is the least attractive thing in my kitchen--LOL. As these things go, it is very good. I just wish I didn't need to have one. I hate how it looks. I have too much junk in the sink cabinet to keep it there, though, so I don't have much choice. I have moved it to a less conspicuous place on the counter--to the right of the range so that it can't be seen from the foyer and dining room.

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG stunning. Love the backsplash. Pure perfection. Where did you end it, height and width, to the right of the range where the peninsula is?

Love love the beehives! I bet they look great when lit. And your chunky door handles are terrific. Are they polished chrome? Can you please give me the specifics on those and the lights,, name, model # etc?

I wish I had a galley, so efficient. My current kitchen isn't very big, but it's open to other rooms that unfortunately won't work with walnut, but after seeing yours I'm contemplating it for my master bath. I'll have to check if anyone carries Rutt in San Diego.

Love your style NYC. Have you remodeled any baths or other spaces?

Thanks.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Island

Thanks for the compliments! Let me answer your questions:

1. We ended the backsplash flush with the upper cabinet. We polished the edge of the last tile. There are a couple of inches of wall before it makes the turn. Since we did not go beyond the cabinet, the height is just the 18" of the space between the counter and the upper cabinet.

2. The beehive lights are by Chameleon Lighting. I don't remember the model number but they are on Chameleon's website. The finish is polished nickel.

3. The hardware is by Forms and Surfaces. I forgot the model name. The finish is polished stainless, I believe. They look a lot like polished nickel. I mixed metals throughout but I think it works. The Waterstone faucets are polished chrome, the latches on the tops of the upper cabinets are polished nickel, the pulls are that polished stainless finish and the appliance pulls are Hickory Hardware "bright nickel" so it is all over the place. Forms and Surfaces does not make appliance pulls so I went with the Hickory which was pretty close but not a perfect match in terms of shape. The Forms and Surfaces had a subtle curve on the top and bottom which I like but paid dearly for. The Hickory pull that would have matched the appliance pulls was a quarter of the price of the Forms and Surfaces pull.

4. I would bet that Rutt is sold somewhere in San Diego. By the way, I bought all of my fixtures from International Bath and Tile (aka plumb tile dot com--they also sell over the Internet) located in San Diego. By fixtures, I mean the Waterstone faucets, the Julien sink and the cabinet hardware. I first used them for my bathrooms. I suspect that they have a really nice showroom because they sell every high-end brand.

5. I did two bathrooms in 2011. I posted pics in June 2011 under "pics of my new bathrooms" which you can just google. The pics are not very good because the baths are only five feet wide and very long, so it was difficult to get good angles. Happy to answer questions though.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Island

I found the model for the cabinet pulls. It is the Sweep series 1500-04.

NYCBD

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Blue! I looked at the website, but couldn't tell for sure. Appreciate all the info. Oops one more Q, how high are your ceilings?

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Island. The ceilings are 9'1".

• taggie
    11 years ago

Your cabinets are just GORGEOUS!! And the rest of it too! Hurry up and post that reveal.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Taggie, I did post the reveal. It was the thread I referred to above--"almost done--NYC galley with walnut and calacatta." The pictures I included in this thread are just a couple if extra photos.

Also, did you see the Miele coffee system question on the Appliances Forum? I told the poster to shout out to you. I seemed to remember that you have, and love, that system.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Oh! I didn't realize that was your final reveal, sorry! I thought it was the pre-reveal and was waiting for a full new thread. Well, your kitchen is pretty enough to have a second (fully, not almost, finished) reveal thread :-)

Off to check out the appliances now ...