Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Should counter veins all go in same direction on all counters?

threeapples
10 years ago

I have Montclair Danby marble. Our island veins will go lengthwise and the sink wall has the same direction, but the range wall has the veins going front to back instead of left to right. Is this how its supposed to be done? Are we going about this the right way? Here is a pic from the fabricator indicating the vein direction. Thanks

Comments (64)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think it should look as much like one big piece as possible, which means the grain will run all in one direction (side to side and front to back depending on the run, but all in one direction)

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Late to the table here, but I have illustrations of what you're talking about. This was Option 1 with the island/peninsula grain at 90 degrees to the L:

Option 2 with the grain of the island/peninsula parallel to the L:

This was a computer view of how our stone could be cut from our particular slab rather than a generic one. We chose 1, but you could make a case for either. Here it is in place.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suzanne, I'm a visual person so your photos were really helpful. Thanks so much!

I guess I feel like since the island vein direction cannot change then we need to work with that and change everything to work with it.

They used a white out marker to plan out the slabs. I sure hope that can be cleaned off!

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Just be aware that you may need an extra slab if you turn the island. That will increase the costs.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Here you go. All running the same direction.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

I think on the L, because it is one continuous piece and will look best if it looks like it was all cut out as 1 solid piece, the grain should all run the same direction on that piece. The grain on the island does not have to run the same direction as the grain on the other sections of counter. Personally, I would run the grain lengthwise on the island and everywhere else except the range wall.

In my kitchen, there are no corners where cabinets intersect, just 2 separate perimeter runs plus a large island. The island and sink wall run east-west, and the range wall runs north-south, with the veins going lengthwise on all 3 sections.

Sochi's gorgeous kitchen has an L where the grain direction is maintained around the corner:

• kaysd
    10 years ago

I'm not sure why the picture didn't load, but here is the link to Sochi's kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sochi:

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Threeapples,

I think your fabricator has it right. It will look like the counters are all from one big slab. The seam in that corner, running along the stripes, will be invisible. It is going to be beautiful! (And the best part...scrubbable with Ajax! I love that.)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

3apples, could your fabricator mock up the grains with a program like Suzannes's? Your marble has such a predominant stripe that I think it is extremely important that you are clear about which look you prefer. Just his layout with ink scribbles is not enough to make such a monumental decision on.

My granite is cut out like option #2 which I find more pleasing to my eye (though my veining is very subtle). But you have to live with this very strong veining, and I wouldn't rush into a decision.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I called and told them to wait. They don't use software to help with things like this so I'm going to have to figure it out with photobucket somehow. I agree that this step is very important.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Ladies - That is some seriously beautiful stone.
    Threeapples This is tuff You can make a case for it going in either direction depending on the actual piece of stone.
    I do know I'm weird about seams and if staying in the same direction lessens the "seam" factor then that's what I'd go with. The stone had so much beauty in the linear that you will focus on that, but changing directions at a seam, and if that seam is a bit off would forever cause me to frown in a beautiful kitchen. That's just me.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband had the brilliant idea for me to print out photos of my slabs, print them at the drugstore, and cut various versions to mock this up myself. I'm going to do that tomorrow.

I love the look of this stone when the veins are running from left to right. It's not a quiet stone at all, so running it front to back might look really choppy and strangely rhythmic. I'll post photos of my little project tomorrow evening. :)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband had the brilliant idea for me to print out photos of my slabs, print them at the drugstore, and cut various versions to mock this up myself. I'm going to do that tomorrow.

I love the look of this stone when the veins are running from left to right. It's not a quiet stone at all, so running it front to back might look really choppy and strangely rhythmic. I'll post photos of my little project tomorrow evening. :)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The great thing about Sochi's kitchen though is that s/he has that very long run where the veins go horizontally and only a short run where they are vertical. For me it'd be the opposite it seems because I have to go with what the island dictates.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

I had a question about how to handle the corners with linear veining and got some good responses in this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Macabus. How did you handle the 90 degree corners?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

how'd you end up doing it, island?
    the image of sochi's kitchen with the corner is not on the thread anymore. how did sochi deal with it?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That's such a strong pattern, I think it needs to flow, be able to breathe, run free (lol). I wonder what was done in the old days before people were so "organized" about things.

I did find a picture of Pirula's heavenly kitchen. It's a cherry counter but does have pronounced grain which was run lengthwise on both legs. I wonder if a more quiet part is in the corner if yours would work to run it lengthwise. They did not seem to worry about that here and it still looks beautiful.

She has linked her album in another thread, so here it is again. I think it looks fine and more natural this way.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a beautiful kitchen. I see what you mean about letting the pattern "breathe" and now I'm really torn.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I agree that you'll need to determine what looks best to your eye on the island and go from there. BTW, I have seen one kitchen with a highly directional quartzite (blue, though) where they opted to put a piece of butcher block in the corner in order to avoid having to make the decision you are trying to make. Then all the "stripes" went parallel to the walls, i.e. lengthwise. Sorry, I never took a photo.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One thing we have going for us regarding the seam at the L is that there will be a "hutch" resting on the counter at the end of the range wall run. It won't be deep enough to cover the whole counter, but it will cover a portion. Actually, now that I think of this the hutch may draw attention to that area so I will have to be extra diligent in how we handle that seam.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Yeah for DH, that IS a brilliant idea. Though granite in particular, is so hard to capture in a photo. That is one element where the depth and beauty and the whole appeal of the stone is nearly impossible to translate into 2D. Mocking up will hopefully help you come up with a final decision. Of course in real life, with hutch, and appliances and daily debris (bread, food, papers, etc,), you won't be concentrating so much on this one detail, and I find photos can exaggerate things like veining when in person, the stone has more to offer than just the veining.

Can hardly wait to see the mock-ups!

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

IMHO I would never put a seam in the corner with the range side also running L-R and butting up against the long side (running L-R). I would most definitely leave that set up exactly the same as the fabricator has it. I think making both counters run L-R would make that corner look choppy and horrible. After looking at Suzanne's pictures, the island running the opposite direction is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. After seeing that, I would leave it as the fabricator has it set up. Your stone looks very much like my statuary marble. It's very beautiful!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The other thing that bothers me is that all counters will seemingly be different. The way I perceive it, the range wall doesn't really look like the sink wall because the grain is so short. I find it disconcerting to be cut short. Maybe it would not feel that way in real life.

Did you see island's link? Olyrider is a fabricator and says he butts or miters. Now, maybe he would handle something with this much vein contrast differently. Maybe he has some pictures.

I hate these type of decisions! But you are lucky you are preparing yourself and thinking it through. Coming home to find something you didn't expect or anticipate is much worse, lol.

Maybe they have some other customers where you could arrange to see the proposed installation. Sometimes companies have them as referrals for their work. I'd also like to find photos of old kitchens with marble counters, to see what they did in the past. They have an unfitted charm that's beautiful in itself.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Beacause we have the same stone, zooming closer for another try. Put your finger over the screen where the counter height changes, and you can see exactly what your corner and adjoining counter would look like.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Yep, I have a really tough time with this kind of decision as well, but I'm so glad I thought to think it through before letting them begin cutting. My photos will be ready at the drugstore shortly and I'll make my little mock up this evening and post photos. I see all of your differing points as having equal merit! I LOVE the look of unfitted kitchens and, had I to do mine over again, I'd make it look even less "fitted" because that's what makes best sense with our house.

Great idea to look up photos of old kitchens....I'm off to do that now.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and helpful photos.

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Regarding the island - I like what Suzannesl did - I think her choice was the best choice. I like the island running perpendicular to the counter veins - the island stands out in a good way. her Option 2 looks boring and everything just runs together with nothing special.

"The great thing about Sochi's kitchen...that very long run where the veins go horizontally and only a short run where they are vertical. For me it'd be the opposite..."

If you look at the drawing in the original post, the bottom leg of the "L" that has the vein running front-to-back is broken up by that very large range area. So, the front-to-back areas are actually small compared to the large expanse of left-to-right on the left leg of the "L".

Add to that the left-to-right piece on the far right, and I think your fabricator's design is the best. - My personal opinion, of course!

• Gigi_4321
    10 years ago

I didn't have time to read all the responses. My kitchen is similar in shape, a U with an island...... someday.
    My photos show that the sink wall (widest expanse) are side to side, no seam in the corner, which leaves my smaller counters on either side of range front to back.
    Counter left of the range, front to back, and if I use a stone on my island, it will run side to side lengthwise. I haven't had my coffee yet so I hope this makes sense. If my words don't convey, here's photos.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I agree that the island looks best running perpendicular to the sink wall for interest (and the veins running its length). It's too uniform and unnatural to have everything the same.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 13:32

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gigi, your stone is beautiful.

Thanks for the extra responses. I can't find good photos of darkly veined counters in antique kitchens, but will keep looking.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, excuse the kindergarten craft project quality of this--I did it in a hurry.

Here are several options I came up with:

I ignored the small counter on the other side of the room since that is going inside a cabinet.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Are those the actual pieces that would lay out?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think so.

I drew on the kitchen an image for all three options. Here they are:

This post was edited by threeapples on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:26

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one

This post was edited by threeapples on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:27

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For what it's worth, none of my layouts are helping me decide!

This post was edited by threeapples on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:25

• Vertise
    10 years ago

With a hutch there, I think I'd miter it if you can get subtle enough graining there so it appears a decent enough match (not jarring differences). I like the first SECOND one in those last perspective drawings (looks mitered) where the veins flow parallel to the wall on both walls. I also like how the island grain flows nicely with the range grain rather than introducing a third layout.

There's another fabricator back in 2008 showing how he handles it (like oldryder does). So it doesn't seem to be "incorrect" to butt or miter. The type of grain certainly plays into it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grain and L shaped counters

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 16:05

• Megan Meyers
    10 years ago

shanghaimom- Love the Striato! What color did you use on your cabinets? That is my decision of the week : )

Threeapples- what about you? What color are your cabs? Is your stone also linear (Striato)? Beautiful.

After seeing Gigi's stone, I am almost considering the fleuri cut Montclair....

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I like the fourth cutout picture. The one with the mitered corner. For me your perspective pictures, have the third one upside down. Can't tell what it looks like, but I like the second one better than the first.

I think the island should have veining lengthwise for sure, which I think you also have decided. If your guy can do the mitered corner as well as you have, that's the way I would go.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our cabinets are Farrow and Ball Light Blue. I'll check that link, thanks.

• Gigi_4321
    10 years ago

i'm kinda liking #4 because your veining is so linear and that you have the cabinet partially covering the seam.
    Can't wait to see your kitchen! It's going to be fabulous!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Mis-voted and corrected my post!

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I really like this one if they can do it. It looks more planned and professional to me.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I really like the 4th one as well. It has a better flow and if it's possible, I'd choose that one.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

I like the last cut out option best. If possible (depending on slab length) I think it would look best to have the corner seam on the range wall, rather than the sink wall, as it will be disguised better if it runs with the grain rather than cutting across it, plus the hutch will hide half of the seam that way.

The mitered option could also look cool, if the pattern can be matched as well as you show.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Threeapples I haven't done anything yet. Just in the early stages of planning a remodel and only know I want white cabs and a whitish stone that isn't marble.Love it, but too afraid of the etching and staining. The Macabus is looking promising, but not sure I want something that linear. Will check out the crosscut.

Never seen Danbury in person; yours looks beautiful.
    Gigi, what is your stone? Also love that and Shanghai's.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo I took this morning.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Look what turned up on another search!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Snookums is that picture you just posted a kitchen from someone on Garden Web? Would like to get some scoop from the owner!
    That looks likeGreen Bamboo granite and I've been searching high and low for that for my BBQ island. A few years ago it was everywhere, but can't find it now. Not giving up though!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Not GW. Someone on another thread mentioned it so I googled to see what it looked like. They'd said it wasn't around anymore.

There are a few views and the contact information here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Stoneworks

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Here's one supplier that still lists it. FL I did not look for others.

Very pretty stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Bamboo

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:56

• Kath
    3 years ago

gigi what are your counters made of?