Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carecooks_gw

Bread Drawer Inserts-Preferences?

carecooks
14 years ago

One of the goals of the remodel is to clear off the counters as much as possible so I'm going to put my bread in one of the lower cabinet drawers. There are two after-market inserts available and I want to know if any of you have had experience with either one.

Rev-a-Shelf

They have a bread drawer insert that is a top slide close in translucent, almond or white. The bottom of the drawer is the bottom of the drawer. They can be cut to fit the drawer. (I'll have an 18" wide drawer by the way). The prices are $35-$50.

Kitchensource

Along with some other suppliers, they offer an acrylic box that is made to fit the drawer exactly. It fits into the drawer and completely encloses the bread. Of course, the price is higher about $190.

http://www.kitchensource.com/drawer-organizer/cibreadbox.htm?utm_id=1101

I'd obviously rather pay less but I'd like to know from your experiences whether or not it is worth paying extra.

Comments (7)

• megradek
    14 years ago

ya know, I had every intention of purchasing one of these after market as well. I would love to see if anyone had further feedback, bumping it up for more eyes.

I've been keeping all my bread in the selected drawer for a year now. To be honest, I can't imagine that a liner would make any loaves last longer, but I'd love to be enlightened. I love having the bread, wraps, etc. within easy reach. and just to have a great place to put it all!!

I do not make much of my own bread (waaaaay too much going on in my life for that, but can't wait till live settles down a bit to try some of the great recipes I've seen here). but I do purchase a lot of fresh loaves (put them in a ziploc). so not sure how much impact this would have.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I originally had planned to get one from my cabinetmaker but eliminated it due to budget. I just store bread in a drawer as-is and it's fine. It actually lasts longer in the drawer than it did in our old pantry!

My bread drawer is the bottom drawer of a 24" wide 4-drawer drawer base.

Today, the drawer is full..with bagels, bread (1-1/2 loaves), kaiser rolls, hamburger rolls, hot dog rolls, English Muffins, and Cinnamon Raisin bread. It holds more than you think it would and nothing gets lost!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

If you really want an insert and it's after-market, you might consider "Custom Inserts". They will make one that fits your drawer exactly. While they're not cheap, they're less than my cabinetmaker was charging (over $300 in late-2007!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Breadbox Drawer Organizer at Custom Inserts

• momtofour
    14 years ago

I wasn't going to bother with a bread drawer or liner of any sort. But my best friend had the RevAShelf lid and said it made a big difference for fresh/bakery breads. I had mine in a drawer like buehl does and ordered the almond lid and cut it to size. I have found it does keep all our breads fresher!

• gwentm
    14 years ago

My freeaer is my bread drawer. I double bag my bread and bagels and put them in the freezer - take out what I need and it's always fresh. Also trying to cut down on bread and other white flour foods in general!

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should cut down my bread consumption but I live in a small town with two wonderful bakeries. It's just too hard.

Buehl, the acrylic bread holder that I mentioned from Kitchen Source is the same as the one that you linked to. It looks nice but after the other responses I think that the Rev-A-Shelf will suit me just fine.

Momtofour-It's great to have the comparison from someone who has used both the Rev-A-shelf and nothing. That was very helpful.

Mairin- I just took a bread baking class from a woman called Mairin. It's the first time that I had ever seen that spelling before. She was very sweet and very informative. Just kind of weird that I associate you both with bread!

Thanks all for your responses.

• cindyinct
    14 years ago

buehl - Do you find it a pain to have to bend down anytime you want bread? I'm thinking about a bread draw, and have convinced myself that it would be best to get a 3-draw base and use the middle draw for bread, etc.