Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Arts & Crafts bungalow kitchen

Posted by saintpfla (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 13:37

I've been reading the threads here over the years and now am ready to do my own kitchen remodel.

My kitchen is 133 square feet. That is 14.0 x 9.5 (measured up to the existing old crappy cabinets).

So...tiny. And, odd shaped. It has a 'bump out' which is the backside of the built-in china cabinet in the dining room.

This creates a design challenge. I've included some photos. I just finished ripping up the 4 layers of old linoleum, a one-inch layer of cement board and another inch of ceramic tile.

The floor is ready for restoration and repair. I've decided to rip out the old cabinets and replace.

I'm stumped on a 'good' design. I've been looking for a few years and still haven't decided what to do because it's such a small space.

Would love to hear your suggestions and ideas.

thank you kindly!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Arts & Crafts bungalow kitchen

More pics....thought I could attach multiple, but apparently it's only one at a time....

o
china cabinet bump out

This creates a very difficult design 'work around'....

o
sink and upper cabinets

sink and upper cabinets

o

Here's what we did with our bump-in from the hutch in our bungalow. I think some sort of tall pantry cabinet could work in that nook. Our kitchen was the same size as yours pre-remodel. We got rid of a bedroom to enlarge the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1910 Craftsman white Shaker reveal

o
Threegraces....wow!

Your kitchen is seriously GORGEOUS!

Unfortunately, I cannot expand anywhere, so I'm "stuck" with teeny-tiny.

Also, I'm trying to avoid a 'boxed in' feeling and not have cabinets everywhere --- due to the tiny size.

What do you think about just doing a row of cabinets where the existing base is --then adding like a buffet or china cabinet?

My other thought was to do an L-shaped kitchen...and put a base row of cabinets around the bump out. Stove would go on the right wall of the room (near sink).

For such a small space, it's created a lot of anxiety for me.

o

Could you include a rudimentary floor plan with doors/windows and what rooms are adjacent to the kitchen? It looks like a very sweet space!

This post was edited by cluelessincolorado on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 14:32

o

Happy to! Can you recommend the best/easiest way to do that? Is there an online app?

One doorway (right of sink) leads to the laundry room and outside. The other leads to the dining room/living room

o

Graph paper, fine point sharpie, camera.

Are you willing to give up the built-in china cabinet? Is there anything else in the bumpout that prevents you from tearing it out?

o

>Are you willing to give up the built-in china cabinet?

Nooooo, don't do that, please. I hate seeing old buildings have all the character ripped out of them to turn them into generic spaces.

o

And when you measure, don't measure wall to cabinet front. Measure wall to wall. Since the cabs are old, there's no telling how deep they might be. We can assume standard 24, but in a small space, every inch counts.

o

I don't want to remove the built-in. I really, really like these old architectural features. I just want to find the 'best' layout --not a cluttered, crammed look -- for the current footprint as it exists. Not looking for a $40k kitchen renovation...maybe later...not now. ;)

I've attached the current floorplan...I measured this back in July and became "stuck". Let me know if it's not 'legible' or understandable. Photos are in prior segment of this thread.

Last weekend, I figured -- if I rip up the flooring - I've have to move forward. ;)

thanks to everyone for your help. It's a bit of a challenge for sure!

o

A beginning thought-- put a straight run of lower cabinets on the window wall pushed out to a depth that matches the nook created by the bump out. A blind corner cabinet with good pull outs could take advantage of that storage space in the nook below counter

Above the counter, fill the nook with open shelves--possibly a place for dishes, glasses cookbooks? If not open, then with glass doors. The piece would have to be custom fitted to fill the nook.

Center a cleanup sink on the window and put a fridge down near the other end. The dishwasher would go between the cleanup sink and the open shelves. Perhaps no other upper cabinets?

On the opposite wall, a prep sink and your range, with primary prep space in between. Upper cabinets on this wall would create more storage. I'm not sure I'm reading your measurements correctly but if I am I think this is possible.

o

Hmm, looking at your pictures I'm realizing an open dishwasher door would block access to the nook. Perhaps I did read your measurements incorrectly?

o

Size and shape is a good start.

Also useful is to know the type of household the kitchen will serve: young family? childless household? empty nesters? This suggests the intensity of space usage such as how intensely to plan storage vs. display space. Also the size of sink.

And the type of use it will service: 3 meals from scratch prep, mostly reheating, a few weekly meals of light cooking? This suggests what zones and how much proportion to allot to them.

And the actual type of cooking: hot cooking such as a lot of frying, stir frying; mostly moderate cooktop use such as simmering or sauces? This determines the type of cooktop and thus ventilation suggested.

Also, what is the situation with the remodel - will it be done DIY, combo, or solely by contractor? What is the level of skill if DIY? This determines which direction to point in terms of how to best use your budget, such as if you are able to use RTA (ready to assemble) cabinetry, etc. Doing your own tiling, painting, flooring?

What is the scope? Just cabinets? Appliances? New plumbing fixtures? Different flooring? Backsplash?

There are some great kitchen wizards here who can really help you with your space once they get the right data!

An authentic bungalow space is an AWESOME space to work with, can make a warm, cozy kitchen!

o
kitchen?

Hi Sarahstew --

Nope...you read it correctly! I have a china cabinet bump-out, hence, the 'odd' shape.

I too, was leaning towards just a bottom row of cabinets in order to keep the room uncluttered.

Also, by skootching the existing DW (which is new) over an inch, I could squeeze in a wine rack maybe? There's a huge gap of un-used space due to the back of the built-in next to the DW.

See pic attached

o

What is the door in the wall behind the fridge?

o

My thought was to fill the nook with a cabinet facing the sink--turned 90 degrees from your current cabinet, if that makes sense? A built in cabinet mirroring the one you have in the dining room, but dropping down on top of the counter. But even with a smaller sink and a smaller dishwasher, you'd maybe have a foot space to stand in to unload the DW into that cabinet. It would be a bit...acrobatic.

o
Answers to some questions

I want to keep the existing upper cabinets -- but replace the doors with different glass doors - something nicer than what exists currently.

*Doing a combo of DIY and hired help; I just DIY'd dem'd the flooring down to existing hardwood. (see pic)

*Just me- no current or future kids - a work-a-holic who actually enjoys cooking when I have the time - I even make bread from scratch if I have the time! :) I like to entertain - again -- when I'm not working 12-14hrs a day. So work days are usually quick meals - nothing fancy.

*The door behind the refrigerator is a common fixture in homes from the 1900s. My house was built approx. 1906. It was where the iron and ironing board was housed. Now, it's my spice cabinet. :)

*DW is brand new
*Sink is new-ish
*Frig is brand new
*Plans to buy a gas range...something high-end-ish (would love a Wolf...but not sure if the price makes it worth it for my needs....)

o
View of door behind fridge

It's kind of a neat feature.

However, as the house was built before refrigerators were a normal kitchen item, there is no 'great' place for the fridge. I sort shove it back and forth in that space...next to the wall or next to the window.

o
Spice cabinet

Inside view...you can see the old outlet cover from where you plug in the iron. It's still "live".

o

That's a clever use of that space.

o
spice cabinet

LOL...thanks....not much else would fit in it -- except for spices! :o)

Here's the hardware (original)...really charming considering it's not a 'fancy' kitchen.

o

So...I saw this post here....this is definitely an idea inspiration for me...looks like similar space too.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0420453531953.html?50

o

magsnj's kitchen was my very first thought when I saw your photos! I would study them carefully, and start asking her questions of you have not already. It is so very helpful to pick the brains of those who have already done a of of the planning legwork.

I would love a challenge like this! If it weren't mine, that is, lol!

That hardware is AWEsom, and if you have enough to re-use it it can be spray-painted black or pewter or...whatever...to work in your new kitchen. And to have the old hardware is very cool.

Heck, if you aren't going to use them send them to ME! lol

I probably don't have much useful to offer you except to recommend that you use a virtual designer like the ones on the IKEA, Lowes' and Home Depot's websites. You can plug in your exact measurements, add windows and doors and obstacles like your bump out. My favorite one is the Lowe's one, it has a lot of options the IKEA one does not, but is essentially the same program.

o

Honestly, this kitchen takes me back..... to August 2013 when I tore up my own linoleum. Lol. Your floors look very similar to mine at that stage.

In the floor plan that you posted, where is the fridge positioned? In the pics it looks like it's near a window but there's only one window in your floor plan, and it can't be next to the one on the dishwasher wall.

Where was your stove? And did you hate it being there, or do you think it'll probably go there again (b/c of gas hook up?)

o

How wide is the frig? How much space is in between the spice cupboard and the walls (both sides)?

Will you be able to move the gas line and 220 electric?

If you could take another 2 photos, of the corner at the other end of the bump-out wall, and the wall with the other window, that would be helpful. From your sketch it looks like the other side of the door bumps even farther into the room? So one end of the room is 88" wide but the other end by the sink is 98"?

And please, do try to create a sketch on graph paper, or using a ruler, or on one of the planners mentioned above with the drawing in proportion to the measurements. Your sketch above has really confused me because it doesn't seem to be the actual shape of the room. Use the wall to wall measurements -- pretend the cabinets are not there.

o

Hi Magsnj!

I adore your kitchen...really, really do! You are so lucky you have that butler's pantry...I'd love something like that!

Sorry if it wasn't clear in my floor plan -- I have two windows...one over the sink and one at the opposite end of the kitchen. This is where I keep the fridge-- which is a tough item to place in the kitchen.

I've attached a photo of the kitchen pre-demo with electric stove. I hate the stove and want to replace it with gas. I already have a gas line in the house.

I would have the gas line re-plumbed to accommodate a move of the stove. I was thinking of moving it to the wall on the opposite side. Again, another 'floating appliance' problem. And, yes, I hate my stove in the current location.

Greenhaven: thanks for the suggestion on Lowes instead of Ikea. I tried the Ikea room planner and found it rather cumbersome.

Thanks for the compliment on the hardware. I do plan on keeping it. :)

o

I'm trying to map it out but I'm lost...... I'm not sure what the measurements with the arrows represent... I'd understand it better if it was just showing the measurement of the walls.... no cabinet measurements... and how long is the the wall that has the back of the built in china cabinet in it?

o

So - this is not the 'cleanest' copy - granted...so-- sorry for the confusion. Let me re-measure and post a cleaner copy. I did this initially and included trim to trim and without the bump-out/with bump-out...hence why it looks crazy.

The 85.5 is length from wall to wall by sink area.-which is without the weird bump-out piece.

The actual "wall to wall" length in this sink area is 110 inches (approx.).

The 162.5 inches is the length from sink window to wall.

Where it says 85.5 inches - that is where window #2 is located....and, a quick re-measure says It's actually 81.5....

o

Wow.... I'm as torn on your kitchen as I was on my own. There's something I really like about the pic you just posted. You did well with the space you had.

I think if I were you, I'd consider being more flexible on the upper cabinets..... the only reason I say that is b/c if you're going to keep the dining room china cabinet (which I think is a good idea), you could possibly get better ideas from people if you're willing to give them up (possibly some type of galley style on that end of your kitchen? Not sure, have to think it through). You may end up keeping them in the end, but at least you'll know you thought of every possibility.

Your fridge is driving me nuts. LOL. Every time I think I've thought of something great, it gets in the way. :)

The ironing board cabinet is so stinking cute. I can't figure out a way to keep it though b/c it goes so low..... bottom cabinets would cover it. I guess you could just keep it there and cut the door where bottom cabinets would end.... that could be kind of cute...... but where do we put the fridge?

Closing the second window isn't an option, is it? Normally I like to keep windows, but I have to ask. Also, is that the only entrance into the dining room, and if not, would you consider closing or moving the doorway? (if the doorway could be moved to the left it might create a pocket for the fridge?)

No matter what any of the answers to these questions are, I can tell by the photos that this has great potential to be a really neat kitchen. I love the high ceiling and the moldings. The floors are going to be beautiful. And the nooks and crannies are going to add so much interest. It's going to drive you nuts, but it'll be well worth it!

o

lol.... words to live by - measure twice, post your floor plan once

o

Yeah, this kitchen layout has been driving me NUTS for a few years -- which is why I've done nothing with it from a layout aspect. The refrigerator...ugh...it's like trying to move a Volkswagen beetle around a 133 sq ft room and not block a door or a window. I fantasize about replacing it with small lower-sized cabinet frig/freezer -- but - meh - it's new and it's already here.

I wrote down the floor plan about 8 months ago....it was more 'notes to myself' -- but in trying to provide a quick response, I just posted it.

So -- I will try to post a 'cleaner' version.

Btw -- your kitty is adorable. But, I may be biased because my kitty looks exactly like yours except she has a pink nose.

Over the years, I have replaced the crappy cabinet doors with these HD on sale doors and replaced the hardware. A minor improvement. I also stripped the painted-over-wallpaper-walls and repainted the current pale yellow. I removed an old set of upper cabinets which sort closed in the room. I built the shelves and bought antique brackets from craigslist to hang them.

I have an antique plate rack (looks like the top of a maple welsh china cabinet. I'm working on it and I want to hang on the wall to create more space.

Included an early version of my kitchen with the wall cabinet that I removed (it weighed a ton...btw).

o

I strongly agree with greenhaven:

"Heck, if you aren't going to use them send them to ME! lol

I probably don't have much useful to offer you except to recommend that you use a virtual designer like the ones on the IKEA, Lowes' and Home Depot's websites. You can plug in your exact measurements, add windows and doors and obstacles like your bump out. My favorite one is the Lowe's one, it has a lot of options the IKEA one does not, but is essentially the same program."

o

I'll check out the Lowes planner and see if I can have some luck and then respond back with the sketch.

It'd be easier if it was a rectangle or square room, but there are design obstacles.

o

I would really think about a smaller refrigerator if it will help your layout. Our first kitchen was in a 1939 house that had not had a refrigerator orginially. The space was 8 x 8 with two doors and a window (yes, that's wall to wall measurements).

The previous owner had shoved a regular size refrigerator in a corner and it kept the back door to the house from opening completely. We replaced it with a 10 cubic foot LG refrigerator that was counter depth and just 24 inches wide. It had plenty of space for the three of us and made a HUGE difference in how that kitchen looked and functioned. And it cost about $600. Much less than new cabinetry.

I'm not a layout guru so I am no really help on the overall layout, but if shrinking the refrigerator helps your layout, I would suggest you really consider it.

o

Yes, what is the capacity of the current fridge? Summit also has fridges that iare 24" wide or 28" wide. I agree with crl_, that that's one thing I'd seriously consider.

o

used this a lot; unfortunately, does not work on ipad

Here is a link that might be useful: free design program

o

Easier to use/learn, works on ipad, free app

o

Thinking outside of the box, is there anyway you could cut an opening in an interior wall to push the back end of the fridge into another room if it would help a layout? Some on GW have pushed theirs into a closet in an adjacent room or just sheetrocked around it. On another website, a very clever interior designer cut the back out of an antique wardrobe cabinet to enclose the back of the fridge. This cabinet actually sat in the foyer of the home.

o

I was wondering the same - can you recess a counter-depth fridge (or smaller) into a wall?

I know for us what really limited me was making allowances for how things already were. My biggest piece of advice would be to forget the existing cabinets, forget the existing appliances and start over. If it turns out they work in later, great, you've saved some money. You already have limitations with the shape of the room, doors, windows etc. Don't put more limitations on yourself. For example, are you going to create a design you don't really like just to save the cost of a new dishwasher? I know no one's budgets are unlimited but you have to think about the payoff you get from spending a little more (or not being able to reuse an existing item).

Start over from scratch, disregarding anything but the floorplan itself and go from there.

o

When I was trying to figure out my floor plan, a lot of people suggested drawer fridges bc I wanted more countertop space than I ended up with. At the end of the day, I decided having a full size (actually, my fridge is huge....28 cubic square feet of glorious food storage) was more important than getting the counter space I wanted.

It would really irk me to get rid of a new fridge to get a smaller one..... every time I tried to fit something in and it was difficult b/c there wasn't enough room in the fridge I'd kick myself..... but to keep your full size fridge, you will probably have to make a compromise that you don't want to (that said, I don't think I'm missing the extra countertop that I wanted so it was a good compromise to have to make).... unless you're happy to put it on a dolly with an extension cord and roll it from place to place.

o

Your kitchen is a similar size to mine. I don't have that "fun" bump-out to work around, and our doors are in different locations, but in case it helps, I can link (below) to the thread where I asked for layout help. It was quite helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: My layout thread

o

Also, here is a completed kitchen that I found that has a similar floorplan to mine. I don't know whether or not it will help you, but maybe!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adel White Kitchen

o

When you do post the updated dimensions, can you include the laundry room?

o

Hi!

I had to work very late today and didn't get a chance to post the updated floor plan.

I will try to do this tomorrow - I tried a few free online apps....and the design tools are not that great. I'll try one of the others suggested.

Jill314....thanks for the posts! You are right - we do have a similar space!

I appreciate being able to view everyone's completed projects.

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions! :)

o

I would like to second everything threegraces said re: letting go of that built in cabinet. Your kitchen already has a great many constraints not to consider straightening that wall. On my remodel, I was considering all kinds of expensive cabinets to work in a top drawer for silverware where it was needed. The "a-ha! moment" finally came when I looked at the obvious, simplest solution of spending another $300 for plumbing to move my sink two feet to the right to make room for a 3 drawer base cabinet to go on the left side of the sink.

o

Oh no! I need to clarify - do not get rid of the built-in cabinet! I like you am a total sucker for all that original irreplaceable stuff. Your current cabinets and appliances are replaceable, in my opinion, but those lovely details original to the house are not. People tried to tell me to get rid of ours to open the wall to the dining room and I said "never!"

o

My goal is to work within the existing space and not knock out walls or remove the existing built-in features.

Yes - it does make designing in this space more challenging.

Why buy a 100+ year old house only to make it like a newly constructed space? I bought it for the unique features that exist. I like these features. Otherwise, I could have just bought a cookie-cutter, newly constructed house and have the giant chef's kitchen.

Removing these architectural elements runs contrary to owning an older home. If it was shoddy construction to begin with, that would be different. But, my house withstood a direct hurricane hit in the 1921 and is still here.

I feel like I need to stay consist to the integrity of the house.

o

Totally agree with you, saintpfla.

But, we need that good view (pictures of all walls and corners) of the actual space! and good measurements!

Another question -- is that laundry room an enclosed porch, or an actual room?

o

"I will try to do this tomorrow - I tried a few free online apps....and the design tools are not that great. I'll try one of the others suggested."

I used the one on the IKEA site. I really think it's worth working with an 3D planner - particularly in your case - because of those small dimensions and built-ins. Things will come down to inches, and you'll want to be aware of the sense of space, sightlines, and focal points, which can be hard when you're working in 2D.

I really wanted to create a specific feeling in my small kitchen so I had to think outside the box. A lot of time we're dealing with the 80/20 rule - we use 20% of our stuff 80% of the time. So the less frequently used stuff may not *have* to be stored in the kitchen. In my case I'm installing unobstrusive below-the-waist wall cabinets in the dining area to house some of that stuff. And, I'll have a wood chest on my balcony with some of my pantry cans. My home is not so big that those places are far from my kitchen ;) .

Other outside the box solutions:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Efficiency Comes in Small Packages

o

Raee: I included several photos in this post.....I can include more if you would find that helpful? I just didn't want 'over-kill' on the photos. I'm happy to submit more. Just let me know!

Fiesty68 - I agree with you on the 80/20 rule...as the majority of my low-use 'stuff' is stored in my built-in china cabinet in the dining room.

I really like the number of open shelves that MagsNJ has -- it's made me realize I need a few more nicely aligned shelves for that purpose.

Question: how long were your kitchens unusable during your "remodel"? I know it depends on how much deconstruction (ie: walls, etc...), but just wondering how long I'll need take-out or sandwiches....?

o

" do try to create a sketch on graph paper, or using a ruler, or on one of the planners mentioned above with the drawing in proportion to the measurements. Your sketch above has really confused me because it doesn't seem to be the actual shape of the room. "

no layout yet?

o

I would like to see a photo of the corner including the door to the dining room and the wall/corner with the second window. There are only partial views of that area -- most of the photos are of the sink end of the room. I am trying to get a better feel of just how doors/windows/corners relate. Sorry to nag you! I have some ideas but absolutely no idea if they can work yet!

Let me see if I have the measurements straight. Starting at the door to the dining room (which is 30.5" wide) and moving counter clockwise around your drawing:

There is a short wall that runs 20.5" perpendicular to the doorframe, into the kitchen, that forms an L with the doorway. Then the wall from door to corner is 39". Turning the corner, the wall with the spice cabinet is 88" (here we need the measurements from the edges of spice cab to the corners on both sides. Also, from the bottom of the spice cab to the floor).

Next wall, the one with the window, is 81.5" (what is the distance between the window trim and each end of that wall?

Next is a 32" door, then another section of wall -- 60.5"? That doesn't add up, I think, If the total dimension along that wall is supposed to be 162.5. What does the 49", and 72", refer to? Does the door measurement include the trim?

Next is the sink wall. I am not at all sure how long this is from corner to corner. Seems like if it matches the opposite wall, it should be about 109". But what is the 112.5"? What is that not quite legible number in the corner by the bump-out?

Lastly we come to the wall with the china cabinet bump-out. Looks like the bump-out is itself 10" deep; and starts 30.5" from the corner. How wide is the bump-out itself, and how much space is left from the bump-out to the dining room door trim?

If you will confirm or clarify these measures, I will try to draw the floor plan.

o

I'm just throwing this out there, simply because I've seen it on [ducking] Rehab Addict.

Since I haven't read where you've answered the questions re: your laundry room, I had this thought:

Could you take the china hutch out and install it elsewhere? What's really important is the woodwork (framing and casing), but the box and insides are generally not the same quality, nor treated with the same care.

Perhaps if you did a quick layout for yourself, moving it. You might find you have a place for it on another wall in the expanded kitchen, or something.

It seems to be the serious root of all your design difficulties. I would also, never, suggest destroying something so intrinsic to the style of your home. But moving it? Well........ why not?

o

I see this space (your tight, quirky vintage kitchen, that is, not the picture here), and I see it developing into something like this (the picture here):

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 11:48

o

Or this:

o
Updated Floor plan attached!

Okay! I had to do it with pen & paper...I haven't had the bandwidth to learn a tool...so...I apologize. Work has me engaged about 12+ hours a day right now....Gotta work to pay for the kitchen rehab!... ;)

Please let me know if anything isn't clear.

I noticed the measurements changed in some areas due to the demo of the 3-inches of flooring (linoleum, vinyl, cement board and ceramic tile...).

Again, I really appreciate ALL of your feedback and suggestions. I am very grateful for all of you willing to spend your free time providing me with input and help with this.

o

Here's one idea. This preserves the little built in cabinet by recessing your fridge into the laundry room. Instead of glassfront along the back of the hutch, you could do open shelves or even pegboard with 12" deep cabinets below. Major disadvantage is door conflict between dishwasher and fridge.

o

Wow...Robotropolis! Thanks for putting that together!

I like the idea of the hutch and have been thinking along those lines myself....or a buffet that can also be a 'counter'. I almost bought an antique hutch last weekend at a antique show but decided to wait until I know what I want to do with the kitchen.

The Fridge:

That wall is also the utility room/pantry. The electric box is there plus gas lines. I didn't put it there...it was created over the millennium. The laundry room area is a former porch now enclosed.

I had thought of putting the stove where you have the fridge. But, that's essentially keeping the same floor plan.

I'll post a pic of the panty/utility/laundry area. It's quite small. It was a useless closet and I had turned into what it is now.

o

How wide is your refrigerator?

o

I adore both or beautybutdebtfree's pics. There are so many details in both of those pics that add so much character....the tiles, the simple (yet very present) details on the cabinets (the upper cabinets in the first pic grab my interest), the floors. Even if it's not your color palette....there's alot to notice there.

I plan to work within the confines of the space, but what about CEFreeman's suggestion of moving the dining hutch. Is that a possibility? Also, I'm intrigued....can you show us a picture of the ining hutch?

o

First swing.....

I didn't get too specific about where I would put pantries vs hutches, vs counters vs etc.....I think you probably need to figure out appliance placement first and then figure out how you want everything else to be placed. In order to do this, you'd need the ability to be able to make the cabinets as deep as you want.

If you keep all walls the way they are now, I like this floor plan. I like that the sink isn't all the way across from the stove, I like that you have a landing spaces for groceries to the fridge, I like that you can have an ample amount of counter space...... obviously the fridge and stove can be moved a foot here or a foot there. I think I'd be pretty happy with the function of this floor plan.

o

That is pretty good, mags! Good use of less than ideal space!

o

I know you said your sink was newish, but imagine if you could have a sink like the one in the link there. he has two prices listed, so goodness knows what he wants, but sinks come up all of the time for reasonable prices...you just have to lay in wait.

And when you think about the cost, remember, if you go for stone countertops, those drainboards are alot of countertop you don't have to pay for, and you also don't need to pay the price for a sink cut out to the fabricator:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink in dundee florida

o

Oh wow...I never thought of the sink anywhere except of where it is under the window. Hmmm.....thinking...not a bad idea.

And, I'm not emotionally attached to the sink at all. It's a typical 18 gauge SS.

In this design, where would the DW go? That front corner is quite small so it wouldn't fit flush in there. Would next to the refrigerator work?

I have a small-ish white Carrera marble round table. My idea is to get matching counters. However, I know marble is extremely high-maintenance - although beautiful.

o

MagsNJ: That's probably the original sink that was in my house way back when!

You know, I like the look of it...and love it in your kitchen! It's so pretty! I've actually thought about it....

But, I really like having a deep sink to fill pots and wash dishes without risk of flooding the floor.

So...how long should I expect my kitchen to be in complete shambles? ((sigh))....I think it's going to be a while.

I have to get this floor refinished ASAP. Which means -- I have to remove the cabinets ASAP. That dirty, nasty tar paper adhesive stuff on the pine floors is just so gross. Plus, I don't want my pets exposed to it for a long time.

I just booked the appointment for the floors to be refinished - April 21st. So, I have to totally gut the kitchen prior to this date. (gasp)

As I have no idea as to floor plan right now, I'm worried I'm going to be living like I'm camping for the next 6 months.....

Maybe I made a mistake doing this now -- before I have a real plan.

I didn't realize how complex this was going to be. :(

For example, I know nothing about cabinets --- at all. I did some reading out here on some of the cabinet threads....holy cow! My head is spinning!

o

I haven't read all of the previous suggestions, but I think your best bet is to get a cabinet maker to make custom cabinets that will address all of the quirks of your kitchen AND maximize all of the unique potential it has. This is coming from someone who owns a unique 1916 house with all of its quirks and special needs.

The standard size cabinet boxes that you will find at IKEA or Lowes or any of the cabinet stores will not help you do justice to all of the potential you have. In some places you might want cabinets that are only 20" or 22" deep on the bottom. You could have something specially built to fill in that space where your dining room piece bumps into the kitchen.

If you shop around and do your homework, I think you can find someone who will build cabinetry that is appropriate to the era of your home and that will address your many concerns. And, the cost can be potentially the same as you'd be spending trying to fit in standard cabinetry. It will just be too difficult to try to work with typical standard sizes intended for a blank square or rectangular space.

o

I like the galley kitchen idea. How about putting the range across from the sink, and the fridge and MW... somewhere else?

o

This sink is deep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-double-Cast-Iron-Farm-Farmhouse-Vintage-apron-Kitchen-Sink-legs-/291120525292?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item43c822afec#ht_720wt_916

I honestly couldn't imagine why you'd worry about overflowing the sink. To soak a pot, I put water and soap in the pot, normally the outside doesn't need soaking. The great thing about having a sink with the drainboards is that it gives you a large level of comfort with marble....anything that's sloppy, I do it on my drainboards. Cleans up like a dream.

You could put your dishwasher in alot of different places. First thought is to the left of the sink. I Personally would probably make the stoarage around the fridge just be tall pantries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deeper sink

o

ankh, the only problem with that is that the fridge would have to go somewhere around where the range is now in my floorplan, and there's a window on one side and an ironing board cabinet on the other side that should be preserved if it can be. sorry, I didn't include them in my floorplan...I was in a hurry.

o

I second needinfo1's advice....it's either the wonky walls go or you need custom cabinets. In the end, I personally think custom cabinets are the better idea (which is why I went that way in my home). Feel free to email me and I can give you an idea of what my cabinets cost so you can compare.

If I were you, I'd call the flooring people, postpone the job, and put cardboard or something down on the floor over the tarry stuff. I'd reschedule the floor people the day after I finalized my floorplan and ordered the cabinets.

This is how it works......The floor can get done very quickly...they'll need about 3 days......the cabinets take 2-4 weeks after the contract is signed and deposit is given to be built and THEN they work you into their schedule for installation. After you finalize your floorplan and order the cabinets, that's when I'd start focusing on countertop. Right now, all I'd be focusing on is floorplan and appliances......and until I had that nailed down I wouldn't gut the kitchen b/c you want to minimalize the amount of time spent without one.

o

PS....you need to figure out a way to keep your animals out fo the kitchen for the remodel if you don't have one.......I put up kid gates.....not only do you not want them stepping on the tar, you don't want them stepping on the wood stain, or the finish, nosing about any installations....there may be holes in the floor under your cabinets.....there are really any number of pitfalls for them.......mine were really accepting of the kid gates....I've actually left them up.

o

I agree that custom is the way to go. You do not have a cookie-cutter space, and you need to utilize every inch!

I signed a contract for my custom cabinets in early March, after talking with the cabinet maker in January and going through a couple of iterations of the plans. He put me on the schedule when I signed the contract and made the first payment - and I was on the calendar for the beginning of July, 4 months later. I wasn't surprised - he has a terrific reputation in town, and has been around for 25 years. I would be worried about a builder who was sitting around waiting for me to show up.

o

I forgot to add - can you gut the lower part of the kitchen to get the floors done, then put it back together the same way, until you're ready to remodel? It wouldn't be easy, and it probably wouldn't be pretty, but it solves the time crunch problem.

o

needinfo1 and the rest really have given the best advice you are likely to get: find a qualified cabinetmaker. You have potential for an amazing space, even with its quirk; that is why you bought the house, right?

Try not to get bogged down in too many details. Education is important, but there are lots of options and really only a few that will work for you in your kitchen.

You should, however, have at least a general plan/timeframe. Having realistic expectations as to how long the individual processes should help you to know better.

I second whoever said to postpone your floor refinishing and put down some cardboard or thin luan (that you can reuse to protect the refinished floors while the rest of the remodel happens) for now.

o

Here's an idea for the piece of bump-out (behind dining hutch) wall: (left-to-right) drainboard/sink/butcher block-counter-over-trash-pull-out, using below: ($262 including shipping on the sink)

Here is a link that might be useful: sink link

o

Or this one. You have your cabinet guy build a drawer unit or dishwasher cubby under the left drainboard, a trash pull out under the right drainboard, and one of those kewl shaped skirts under the sink basins (like the two pictures I posted above)! $312 incl shipping on the sink

Here is a link that might be useful: two drainboard stainless sink

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 14:17

o

MagsNJ: would you please send me your email address? I do want to ask you some Qs about cabinets -- I love yours - especially the sink cabinet. My email is:
KimberFL at hot mail dot com (spelled this way to avoid Bots on this public page...).

I actually got a referral to a custom cabinet maker (from the floor guy...). I definitely have thought about this as a way to go due to the wonky-kitchen layout.

My pets will be locked out of the kitchen during the floor refinish. Just for now, it's open. The floor is just so gross right now....I just don't want them walking in there. I have the original 'swinging door' and can just close it with a doorstop. Easy.

Annkh: I was thinking of reconstructing the kitchen in that "Hillbilly-esque" manner until I could find a workable plan.

It definitely won't be pretty!!!!

o

I'm on a roll, now! Imagine an awesome deco tile wall behind this that you could easily do yourself!

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 14:34

o

Beautybutdebtfree:
Wow! You drew that? You're pretty talented! I liked those cute kitchen pics that you posted, btw!

The doors are lovely!

I just made an appointment with the custom cabinet guy for next week.....we'll see how that goes.

o

Would you be willing to entertain shifting that great ironing board cabinet over to the left, closer to the window? Then your fridge could slide back into that corner right where it seems to want to live! Also, how far from the floor is the trim of window #2? Thanks.

o

This is apropos of nothing but could you be so kind as to show us the built in hutch in the dining room?

o
China cabinet - built in pics

Here's some pics of the china cabinet which causes the bump out in the kitchen.

It's not 'fancy', but I like it. It's the focal point of the room when you enter the house. The door are long gone, but were probably glass.

My house was a rental and had many, many owners over the years, so it's suffered through a lot of bad remodel decisions.

o
china cabinet pic 2

Another angle...excuse the clutter. I had to remove a cabinet and my marble table in the kitchen to start the demo.

o
china cab pic 3

Another angle....

o

Oh, I LOVE it!

We had one in the house I grew up in. Wish I'd thought to put one in my house.

o

I love it! Don't touch it. That bump out is going to add interest and character

o

It's great! I would definitely leave it and when budget permits I would look into restoring the now-missing cabinet doors with careful reproductions.

o

Say, depending on what happens in the kitchen, wouldn't it be neat to open the area in the hutch where the mirror is as a passthrough to the kitchen? (maybe with little tiny doors along the back to close off as needed...!)

o

I updated a small 1930's kitchen with a tough layout and three doorways. I'm linking it here in case it gives you some ideas. I used a 24" wide all refrigerator and a separate under counter freezer. I would recommend looking into a 24" fridge/freezer to save on space. I also had the ironing board cabinet door shortened so it would open over a new counter.

I look forward to watching your kitchen take shape!
Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: ljwrar's kitchen

o

>wouldn't it be neat to open the area in the hutch where the mirror is as a passthrough to the kitchen?

Actually, if you look at efficient house plan designs from the 20s and 30s they often show this: a back panel that can be slid open from the kitchen side to replace the dishes without having to go out into the dining room.

But with saintpfla's layout problems, I'd put that way down the list of priorities. But I also wouldn't try to move that from where it is now.

o

Thanks everyone! I really like the china cabinet -- and, I do plan on either finding salvage doors to replace the missing ones or having some custom made. It's a nice focal point but also provides much needed storage as well.

Some homes in the area do have the 'pass-through' feature in the china cabinet. Mine does not and I do like the old mirror. It's in very good condition....it's miraculous that it has survived over the years of gutting the house.

Virtually every interesting built-in has been removed in this house due to being a rental property. It's missing the colonnades and window seats as well. The window seats I'm fine with but the colonnades I would also like to find salvage and replace.

The kitchen had built-in banquette seating and table (per the outline on the floor...), but, I also found the original banquette table in the garage. I don't have any interest in adding it back to the kitchen due to space,, but was surprised to find it.

I'm still not sure what to do about a floor plan.....just keep thinking and thinking about it until my head hurts....

o

I've been wondering if it would work to add a sort of window seat area next to the window near the current refrigerator location... Maybe a bad idea, but I do love window seats and I've never had a house that had one! Was that where the built-in banquette used to be?

o

Yes - that is exactly where the former built-in banquette was. Attached is a pic....you can see the floor outline of where it was located.

I totally understand why they removed the banquette. Probably, refrigerators came into use (vs. an ice-box on the porch...) and they needed the space to put it in the kitchen.

I found the original table in the garage being used as a tool/project work space. It's pretty beat-up now, but it was neat finding it and figuring out what it was used for.

o
View of floor where banquette was

Here's another outline of the floor

o

I really like magnsj's galley idea. I figure that if you take the wall to wall measurement of the bumpout to the wall opposite it, you have about 98" wall to wall to work with. Adding 24" deep standard cupboards on either side (with a slightly short 1" overhang) gets you to 48" from counter to counter, which is a very respectable width for a galley kitchen.

I would also suggest that that 32" wide, deep corner to the right of the bump out would be an interesting place for a 30" wide fridge, single door opening to the right, no handle on the door. This would allow the front of the fridge to be flush with the cabinets and not protrude into your 48" walkway. Then small cupboards on either side of a stove on the bumpout with sink and dishwasher opposite, then you could actually have a banquette at the bottom if you wanted.

I do think a carpenter should be able to move that ironing board cabinet closer to the window - it really shouldn't be a big deal at all. I would not let that get in your way. The fridge really would work well down at the bottom of the room there.

o

Thanks for the suggestions on layout.

I have been thinking a lot about the galley layout as well.

I also postponed the floor refinish until I have a handle on the cabinet and floor layout. I just covered the floor with paper drop-cloth material for now. It's a bit of pressure off for the moment because it was scheduled for Monday. Now, I can take a little time to consider options.

The cabinet builder comes by this week...it will be interesting to see what he says.

o

I've been plugging away at my totally DIY kitchen project since Christmas (did pay for counter install labor, though, since they are stone). I can say that each time I've run into a snag, or delay, or even period of burn-out, it's been for the better! Each time I've come up with better ideas, better products, a better way to accomplish something, when I've allowed the time to let the solution emerge. I'm so glad I didn't force a schedule on myself, because what's emerging is so much better than it would have been. It has really taught me patience, and focus!

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 7:38

o

BeautyBDF:

That's great advice. I'm feeling a little "over-whelmed" with this kitchen 'stuff' right now. Plus, the extra-clutter that is created from the cabinet I removed and everything else.

I'm sorta hating this idea of remodel right now......

I still don't know what I want for a floor plan.

Btw...I did my bath remodel a year ago.....I knew EXACTLY what I what I wanted. It was completed in 2-3 months.

The kitchen has me stumped - still.

Everything option looks great! Everything is pretty. I just don't know the 'best' option for the layout.

All I do know is...

I want white cabinets in this style:
http://www.crown-point.com/arts-and-crafts/index.html

I want white carerra marble (or maybe granite which looks like marble?) counters.

I want more storage space to remove counter clutter. My dream is to have a clutter-free counter.

o

The solutions often present themselves after you get enough information. For example, you are harvesting a ton of ideas from GW posters. Your cabinet maker will have ideas, too. Houzz pictures have a lot of ideas.

It's like a wheel of fortune puzzle. When you don't know the solution, it's because you don't have enough letters, yet. You have to plug away, bide your time, study your objectives and budget, and fill in each letter, until you can solve the puzzle.

You have a WONDERFUL heritage space, surrounded by an entire house of heritage space. This context, along with your desire to mesh with it period-wise, will aim you. Your budget will help with boundaries. Next, get your objectives very clear. What do you want from your project, from your space? Exactly how are you going to spend time in it, how are you going to use the space. This will suggest a lot of things, from whether you need that full size fridge, to whether it's a good investment to go custom on cabinetry to maximize storage inches. Let your objectives help you solve the puzzle, so get as clear as you can on them!

And allow yourself time, flexibility, and your "wants" - if you are stubborn, and resourceful enough, a solution WILL emerge!!!

Sending you good thoughts, loving your project!

BBDF

o

Oh, yeah, and two more things:

1) Set up Plan B. By this, I mean, get basic functionality somewhere else, while the remodel drags on. That way you are not holding your breath, without a way to wash dishes, or boil water, etc. So, alternate kitchen sink, way to cook or heat food, etc.

2) Set up either a clean zone, or a crap zone, or both. If you have a little island of clean or crap set aside, then you can go forward for as long as you need with larger areas being in construction/transition, and just tell yourself they are GOING to be in construction/transition as long as it takes, but if you need a sanity break you can sneak off to your "clean" corner and pretend it's bigger than it is, or dump the "stuff" in your crap corner, to put is SOMEWHERE.

Those zones may move around as you do different things in your project, but mentally having them defined is a sanity-saver for me!

BBDF

o

I love Robo's idea of a fridge in the corner! What an efficient use of a difficult space. It isn't perfect fridge placement in a dream kitchen, but I think there's room there. And you can easily put a cabinet above it without building it in, saving precious inches.

Hang in there, SaintP! I worked on kitchen plans for my house off and on for 15 years (nothing was torn out, however). It was never quite right. Then, one night I hit on a new angle, and the whole thing fell into place. Within weeks I met with a cabinet maker, and started the ball rolling toward full remodel. Now that it's done, I wish I'd had the new kitchen years ago - but the plans weren't right years ago, so I'm glad I waited.

You'll get it right, and will forget about how long it took to get there.

o

I hope that you get some good pricing from the cabinetmaker. I also hope that he can make frameless, if you are interested in that, since those do give you a bit more interior room; I think that you could get an arts and crafts look (love it btw) with frameless.

Another advantage to having the cabinets made is that you are not locked into stock sizes. So, say if you want a 30" sink you don't have to buy a 36" cabinet, you can have it made just large enough to accommodate that particular sink. Shopping fixtures like sinks, garbage disposals, pullouts, faucets etc this early in the design process can help you know what you really want and what you need your design to have room for (beyond the frig and dishwasher which are your major problems) without requiring that you actually buy the things now. I remember threads where folks were desperately looking for a certain size fixture to fit the space they had designed -- but it just didn't exist.

I think that there is more than one "best" layout, if we are excluding recessing the frig into the utility room, but they all will involve moving the sink. Well, keeping stove, frig and sink all within a few steps of each other, instead of having one across the room, may be more best than some others. Think about which 2 of the 3 you would prefer to have close. In your space actually nothing will be all that far, will it?

You mentioned a small table -- do you want to have room for it in the kitchen too? Like under one of the windows?

o

It took me multiple readings of this thread to understand your room's dimensions and obstacles but I think I finally got it. Think being the operative word here. I'm sure I missed something. ;-)

Anyhoo, it seems to me that the biggest hurdle you face is having too many interruptions on each length of wall. I agree that if at all possible, the DR hutch and built-in ex-ironing board cab should be kept. And it seems a shame not to take advantage of those recesses on each side of the DR hutch.

So I turned my attention to the opposite wall and and played with the idea of moving the doorway from the outer room into the kitchen. I realize this means moving utilities and all that but it might be cost effective if it means you don't need to do as much customization of cabinetry in your kitchen. I just checked and with a few minor tweaks, you can make this plan work with Ikea cabinets.

This is what I came up with:

photo saintpflaA.jpg

The outer room will be on large space, a mud room with utilities (behind doors), W/D and whatever else you want to keep out there.

Moving the door down to the end gave me enough room to put the fridge, DW, sink and range all in one section of your kitchen, creating a very efficient work zone for 1 cook. The fridge is slightly recessed into the wall so that it's bulk is less obvious.

The DR hutch is bordered by 2 pull-out pantry cabs with a shallow cabinet between them. You could mimic the DR hutch, giving a nod to your home's past. It also gives you a decent section of shallow counter to set down bags of groceries or a place for small appliances such as toaster, coffee maker, etc. You can fit the GE spacemaker MW above (it fits in a 12" deep upper cabinet). You could also make this section standard depth, sitting slightly proud of the pantry cabs on either side. You'd still have a 49.5" aisle, which will help your smallish space feel less squished.

As someone above suggested, I moved the ex-ironing board cabinet. I shifted it over towards the window, next to the range so that it can continue its life as your spice cabinet (love this!).

With all the storage on the DR hutch wall, I think that you just might be able to go without upper cabinets elsewhere, which will also help your kitchen feel spacious.

You can fill in the old doorway space with an interior window - fixed or working, your choice. If the view isn't nice but you want the light, put in a real or fake stained glass window or other type of obscure glass. Or you can just make it a wall.

Note: aisle measurement is counter edge to counter edge. I assumed a 1.5" counter overhang.

o

PS You can use Ikea boxes and get cab fronts made to fit in a style you prefer. Still quite cost effective. Hopefully someone else can remember the cab company that does this because the name has completely slipped my mind.

o

BBDF: great suggestions! I really like the 'clean zone' and 'crap zone'. Just finding a space to drop everything will be useful.

I'm normally a very decisive person - so this, "Gee, I just don't know..." is sort of a new experience for me!

Annkh: I think you are correct....I need to move past this 'perfect placement' idea. It's helpful that everyone recognizes the challenges in this space and that it's not something that I've 'missed' in my perspective.

Raee: Laughing at your comment...."Think about which 2 of the 3 you would prefer to have close. In your space actually nothing will be all that far, will it?"

LOL...pretty much sums it up! ;)

Lisa_a: thank you for taking the time to review my floor-plan and make suggestions to the layout.

I've attached a pic of the mudroom area....it's more narrow and small than the sketch/footprint seems. Behind the levour doors are the W/D.

Yes, I do have a small, round white marble table. I rather enjoy my morning cup of coffee and looking out at the garden. The simple pleasures of life kind of thing. ;)

But, if it's a casualty of the new design, I'll figure out something else....

o

I wasn't going by your sketch - that would have been foolish since it was so out of scale - I was going by the dimensions you posted in your sketch on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 12:10 and an earlier photo. Unless the posted dimensions of 125 L x 94 W (assuming this is for the entire space, not just the area your cute kitties are occupying in the above photo) are incorrect, you have the room to do what I'm proposing.

o

Those dimensions 'should' be correct...I did it from the wall behind the WD to the opposite wall.

It's such a small space, it's hard to envision room for anything....maybe just room enough for my cats. ;)

o

'Those dimensions 'should' be correct...I did it from the wall behind the WD to the opposite wall.'

The dimensions might be correct - but they don't match the sketch at all. That's why a layout drawn on graph paper with all of the dimensions correctly measured and marked is what is needed to do a workable redesign for the kitchen.

graph paper is online - free.

then we can actually visualize the space that lines up with the dimensions.

do you plan to keep your fridge? your stove? open to changing out either? what size of a sink do you want?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here