Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Anyone have a column right next to your island?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

If, so, how did you detail it? I would love to see pics!

The wall's coming out today, and the 4x wood support post installed... I am trying to visualize how to trim it out.

It's along the seating side, so only abuts the countertop material, not cabinetry. I hope it won't look TOO strange!!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• megradek
    14 years ago

we have a support beam in our kitchen as well...lost much sleep over this and finally came up with our 'coffee bar' solution. We had originally planned on trimming it out with panel mouldings (all white), but the painters got at it with the color of the kitchen and hallway and we actually liked it! I figure we can always cover it up later on if we want to change it. We ended up making the bunch (6??) 2x4s into a square collumn and butted it up against a very thin cabinet (8") and about 12" of the granite.

not the best shots of the actual column, but you get the idea!

• ni_2006
    14 years ago

Does a column in smack in the middle of the island count? We did not do anything to "dress" it up...

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey thanks!
    ni 2006- wish I had seen that photo last week! We ag-o-nized about having a soffit/column ending in mid-ceiling, and I just thought it would look too weird.... so we paid the extra $$ and had the framers cut the beam into the ceiling joists, instead. They literally finished doing that about 2 hours ago!! Now I see it looks totally fine!

Do you mind me asking what your granite is? That is very near the look we're after! (We have cherry shaker cabs). Am considering Kashmir White honed...

My "column" is much skinnier. It's just 3.5" square untrimmed. My dad the architect thinks we want to make it into a piece of wall (like 12" wide or whatever) but I don't want to close the room up too much...

• ni_2006
    14 years ago

Hi stacyneil,

I worried so much about the column being in the middle of the room. We really wanted to get rid of it, but it was going to be too costly. So, we decided to live it alone and get used to it :)

The granite is Bianco Romano. Here are some close up shots of the stone.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

the light countertop makes the pillar far less noticeable.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    14 years ago

ni_2006,

I just have to ask: How did they fit your granite around that column? I don't SEE any obvious seams and I'm thinking there would have to be at least a couple.

• karen_lynne
    14 years ago

We wanted our 3" support column to be wrapped with the cabinetry, so it ended up being almost 11" on the sides. We've had it re-designed from the original installation. It is in 3 pieces. The top piece is u-shaped and fits over the granite. The bottom piece is also u-shaped and fits under the granite. The third piece (facing the camera in the first photo) is equal to the height of the column and closes the "u". Our kitchen is not finished, but here are some photos from several angles.

• ni_2006
    14 years ago

bevangel, we actually have 2 seams (the granite was installed as 1 very large piece and 1 very small piece). The seams are not visible in the pictures I posted, but they are there...

• RubyJean
    14 years ago

Wow, Karen Lynne! Your design is terrific! I love what you did with the cabinetry and how you ran it from floor to ceiling. The fluting and crown molding on the column really looks great. Instead of a eyesore, your column has become a center piece. Nice job.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure