Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30 in gas cooktop and ventilation help

Posted by stella072 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 13:34

Bought a home almost 2 yrs ago with a downdraft GE profile cooktop that only has 2 burners & a griddle with an over the range microwave. I need more burners and don't like the over the range micro. Over $500 to get 2 new burners for existing range. Micro died so this seems like a good time to replace both. Will probably go countertop micro so kids can reach.
I'm not excited about downdraft but is it preferable to a recirculating hood? The current model dramatically pulls the flame to it but wondered if the rear installation retracting models aren't as bad with this problem.
Had a Thermador range at previous home that I loved so I'm leaning towards Thermador cooktop or Bosch 800.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30 in gas cooktop and ventilation help

From what I've read, the rear downdrafts that stand up 12 inches high or so work better than the downdrafts in the middle of the range or a low rear one. I would say a rear downdraft is much better than a recirculating hood.

o
RE: 30 in gas cooktop and ventilation help

We have a GE profile 36" cooktop with a down draft at the rear. It's been fine for us. It replaced a thermador that had the rear telescoping downdraft as part of the cooktop. I liked that the GE has a separate downdraft unit bc our thermador had to be replaced bc the downdraft stopped working. Bummer to replace the cooktop when it was working. We've had the GE profile cooktop for about 6yrs. No issues so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here