Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second-guessing counter selection

Posted by annkh (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 13:33

DH and I were looking at counter tops, and fell in love with a Cambria color. When we first saw it (a 12"x12" sample) we both were struck by its warmth and color.

I ordered a sample, and have had it in my existing kitchen for several weeks. I still love the color, but I'm not sure it will provide enough contrast to our cabinets. My instinct is that the counters should be quite a bit darker than the woodwork, but we haven't found anything we like nearly as well.

The cabinets will be oak, but we haven't chosen the stain color yet. It's a small U kitchen with cabinets going to the ceiling, so we want them a light color. Will I be OK going with a quartz color that is not much darker than the wood? I'm hoping that the pattern in the quartz will provide enough interest to keep it from disappearing.

I think there was a member here long ago (ktkitchen) that had this color, but I can't find any finished kitchen pics - I just found a post from '08 that mentioned it.

This is such a huge decision - I don't want to screw it up!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambria Somerset

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second-guessing counter selection

Why not bring home several samples and get a feel for some different colors in your space. We went through a few samples before actually deciding on one. With our backsplash we actually ended up going with tile that I didn't like at first, but after bringing home the sample it grew on me and looked much different in my kitchen.

o

The kitchen below has Cambria Somerset with a lighter wood (maple); two pics, the Butzin kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambria Somerset

o

In my small kitchen, I tried for less contrast among the finishes to make the space look bigger. So the combination you're considering may be quiet, but it will seem more spacious. But trying a few samples, as teachertile suggests, is a good idea anyway. Sometimes it's surprising what works in the house.

o

Thanks, nosoccermom - I haven't been able to find anything!

I did order another Cabria sample in a darker color, and we don't like it as much, either with the cabinets or by itself. I'll definitely be looking at more samples before we're through.

Part of the problem is that our current kitchen is typical golden oak, and the new cabs will be a lighter color (hoping for less orange). So while I can see the sample in my light at home, it might be different against our actual cabinets.

My cabinet maker won't get started on my project until the end of June, so I have a lot of time to drive myself crazy with every decision.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here