Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Bluebird and Kitokeefe, Q about Varde

eleena
12 years ago

Bluebird,

The installation manual shows some included metal screws on the bottom of the legs. I thought they were to regulate the level, no?

I think my floor is pretty leveled and I am almost sure it is finished under the cabinets. At least, it was under the built-in fridge when we pulled it out.

Do you have the one with stainless drawers? Do you like how they look? I ask b/c it is sort of unusual to have SS cabinet fronts with wooden sides.

I'd like to ask you and Kitokeefe (if back from vacation) for a favor b/c I am at least six hours away from the nearest IKEA. :-(

Could you measure your cabinets and let me know the following:

1. The distance from the floor to the visible external part of the cabinet bottom. Their manual provides no detailed dimensions. :-(

2. How much does each leg "protrude" from each side. I don't know how to explain it but the side panels are sort of recessed and part of the leg sticks out about 3/4", kwim?

3. If you do not use the metal surround on the bottom of the legs, would it look bad?

4. How thick is the cabinet top? I think it is 1.5" but not sure.

5. Have you by any chance seen a VARDE sink. If so, do you know the gauge? Does it look OK?

Thank you so much!

Comments (10)

• blubird
    12 years ago

First, I have to apologize. The varde cabinet DOES have an adjustable screw leg. Mine is sitting on carpet (it's in my sewing room)so it can't be seen even if I slide the metal foot covering up.

This is my cab:

1. The distance from the floor to the visible external part of the cabinet bottom. Their manual provides no detailed dimensions. :-(

The length of the leg to the cab base is 7 1/2 inches.

======
    2. How much does each leg "protrude" from each side. I don't know how to explain it but the side panels are sort of recessed and part of the leg sticks out about 3/4",

The leg protrudes about 1 3/4 inches from the side panel.

=====

3. If you do not use the metal surround on the bottom of the legs, would it look bad?

The metal covering would help to disguise the adjustable leg, especially if the heights were unequal. Other than that, the wood leg is completely finished and presentable looking.

======
    4. How thick is the cabinet top? I think it is 1.5" but not sure.

The cab top is just about 1 1/8 inch thick. Both top and bottom edges are slightly beveled.

====
    5. Have you by any chance seen a VARDE sink. If so, do you know the gauge? Does it look OK?

Never noticed the varde sink.

Let me know if I can be of further help. I love my cab in the sewing room

Helene

• blubird
    12 years ago

P.s. the cab drawers seem to be some sort of painted white finish with a rippled glass insert- no stainless in sight.

Helene

• eleena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helene,

Thank you so much!

I see. I thought you had the one with three drawers, that is why I asked about stainless. I really like the one you have.

I know this is too much to ask, but if don't mind, I have a few more questions.

The glass looks tempered to me. Does it have any greenish tint?

What is the width of the legs? From what you said, I am guessing they are about 3.5" wide, right?

Could you tell me how the drawers are constructed? They look like full-overlay to me. IDK if that even applies to drawers but I have a cabinet where the front panels of the drawers are sitting outside of the cabinet cavity and they almost touch each other, if that makes any sense. Are they bottom mounted or side-mounted? Also, are the drawer side panels the same height as the front panels?

This will probably sound like a very stupid question but I have looked through (almost) countless pix of IKEA kitchen, mostly the free-standing ones. I think that VARDE cabs are made quite well but I cannot figure out if they will look "too country".

On some pix, they look quite "hip" while they look pretty "rustic" on some others. I know you don't have it in your kitchen but what do you think?

Thanks again!

• blubird
    12 years ago

The glass is essentially clear, with a very, very vague tinge of green, textured with regularly spaced 'dots' which are really squares. I can see the real colors of items as I look through the glass. The texture of the glass sort of looks like the grid for the kid's game "boxes' where you take turns drawing lines to connect the dots, eventually to form boxes ;-)

The legs are 2 1/2 inches wide.

I guess the drawers could be considered full overlay. The cab is a frameless cabinet. They are bottom mounted, but they are NOT full extension. The sides and back are the same size; the front is larger all around.

I don't think it has a country look at all...it's very contemporary, not mid-century modern, but very current. I could definitely see it in my traditional kitchen with a granite or soapstone or quartz top. Wood is fine, too, but this top isn't tough enough for a hard-working surface.

Hope that helps, and if you have more questions, ask away. I can even take close-up pictures tomorrow if that would help.

Helene

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

I have been looking at the same cabinet for my quilting room. I found this on the sewing forum (I can't remember the poster but her quilting room is AMAZING!! - Hope she doesn't mind me sharing her pic). Not rustic at all. I think the drawers are inset vs. overlay. I love that you can see through the glass so you know what you have in there. How are you going to use the cabinet in the kitchen?

M

• eleena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Helene!

I have just found the a recent thread discussing kitchen cabs finished at the bottom.

You know what's funny? People go into all that trouble trying to make their cabs look like free-standing. So, why not just use free-standing? :-)

My house can probably be called "warm contemporary" (not "stark contemporary" and not MCM either). I just have a few MCM pieces that worked here.

Pix would be lovely!

Thank you!

• eleena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Michelle,

Thank you for the picture.

I was typing when you posted and did not see your post.

How am I going to use the cabinet in the kitchen? Just like any other cabinet - for storing stuff. LOL. JK!

I am thinking of putting them under a countertop where the peninsula is. My house is very "airy" with nothing absrtucting the air flow over the floor - except those heavy (and ugly, if you ask me) peninsula cabinets.

I have worked out a design in my imagination but I need to implement it in IKEA Kitchen Planner or another software.

If I ever decide to proceed with it, I'll post pix.

The kitchen is simply gross with all the holes from dead appliances and needs to be fixed ASAP. But we are under a lot of stress at the moment for various reasons and I don't think we can survive a full remodel. If I get some free-standing pieces, I can remodel one part at a time - I think. We'll see, as I have already entertained (and abondoned) several ideas for quick fixes. But this one feels more "real" - or something...

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

OMG...That is MY sewing room in the photo above! LOVE my varde cabinet! I put a different top on mine, that 's why it may look a little odd, I made it so that there is an overhang at the back.

This is the most amazing cabinet, with so much storage space. It is my favorite piece in my sewing room. I love my sewing room and setting it up was so fun -- I only wish doing my kitchen was as fun and easy, but it's just frustrating.

• eleena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One example of using VARDE cabinets in the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: One way to use VARDE

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

The varde sink is ok - had some sound deadening but might sound a little tinnie. The bowls are kind of small, but the unit with sort of a marine edge and the stainless counter bits on both sides might make up for it.

I would suggest you have a backup plan in case you don't like it and if at all possible, see one in advance because it's personal preference. If you go, stop in the marketplace first and pickup some pots to try in the sink.

I'm sure you know you can buy the sink base cabinet without the top and install just about any sink using just about any counter material. There are some varde wood tops also available.