Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

finished diy ikea kitchen, black granite, marble backsplash

mayland
16 years ago

Well, we are 99% finished. We still need to add some small wood fillers either side of the wine rack above the fridge (maybe), and add some big/bold art on the empty walls. And think about a window treatment.

We began this in August as part of a whole-house renovation on a 1950s split-level. The kitchen was mostly finished by December, just had to wait on a couple of trim pieces from IKEA. My husband installed the cabs, appliances, sink, faucet etc, mostly by himself (with much "help" from our 4- and 2-yr olds!)

I think the total kitchen cost was about $15-17,000. (Not including drywall, moving plumbing, electricity etc, which we used contractors for).

Thank you to everyone on this forum, its such a great source of information, advice and support! (and Bmorepanic, thank you for suggesting our layout, which we love, if you are reading!).

Here is a "before" pic of the kitchen when we bought the house last July. (we moved the kitchen to what was the old living room, and this old kitchen was ripped out to become a sitting/fireplace room).

And here is the new kitchen:

(the french door is to the dining room)

Here are the details:

Cabinets -- IKEA Askome (ash)

Granite -- Black Galaxy (i wanted soapstone all along, but when it came to it, this was a great deal and saved us about $1500)

Backsplash -- marble 18x18" tile from HD Expo (i think its Calacatta)

Oven, microwave and dishwasher -- Bosch

Cooktop -- Bosch induction (imported from germany, my husband is German), love it!

Fridge -- Jenn Aire cab depth

vent hood -- Lux Aire = no name brand

Floor -- original 1950s hardwood, which we sanded and refinished.

Sink -- Ticor something from Galaxy tool supply

Faucet -- Danze Sonora

Along with the kitchen, we've also renovated the whole house (much has been DIY). Thankfully we are almost done inside, and I can finally think about planting instead of painting!

Comments (38)

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

Wow! Fantastic transformation and you did it yourselves! I'm impressed. You must be so excited with your new kitchen. Congrats!

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Love the two lights above the sink. They're a great splash of color and playfulness.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

what a great way to get some marble into your kitchen, without worry so much about durability!

Beautiful.

• nicoletouk
    16 years ago

What a beautiful job - congratulations! And it is so nice to see an Askome kitchen, there doesn't seem to be very many in the States (at least not many posted on line). I think I heard that Askome is very popular in Europe, however.

Any way, it is stunning. Enjoy your kitchen!

Nicole

• amcofar
    16 years ago

I love how the wood floorÂs ginger tone warms the color of your cabinets. While your counters, stools and appliances are sleek and contemporary, the soft-toned marble creates a perfectly balanced, organic backsplash. I agree that the pair of vibrant pendants is perfect. I love it, and I tip my hat to you and your very handy DH--along with the two young helpers. Great job! Enjoy!

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Mayland, that is one marvelous kitchen! It is not only gorgeous to look at, but it impresses as a highly-functional and FUN place to do your kitchen work and entertaining. Ikea and DIY to boot? You guys totally rock!

• flatlander62
    16 years ago

Your house must truly thank you! What a beautiful transformation that brings new life to an aging home. All the more remarkable by the do-it-yourself aspects. I love the pendants, the use of marble for the backsplash (very smart!), the mix of colors and materials...just gorgeous and original.

• zeebee
    16 years ago

Amazing transformation. I love Ikea cabs and yours look terrific in that space. Great job!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I've been hoping to see your kitchen. I remember when you were planning it. Looks great! Which ikea boxes did you use (white or birch)? Did you have to do any special tricks to make them work?

I love your island. Great job!

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

DIY and IKEA are music to my ears! I think KDs are getting a run for their money trying to out do kitchens like the one here.

Gorgeous, nicely designed, great layout and its DIY!!!

I think we should start a website for a contest for the best, budget kitchen. The most for the least...
    Congratulations...

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Fabulous transformation. You'd never know that gorgeous space existed in a split level. I didn't have the nerve to start fussing with the footprint in mine. It all looks so beautifully put together.

• hmsweethm
    16 years ago

Gulp! I'm so impressed. You guys are good. What a lovely, lovely kitchen. Bravo!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Wow, what a transformation. Beautiful!!

• farmhousebound
    16 years ago

Looks great!! However, I was disappointed when I saw the floor was refinished - hoping to find out where you found it - it's beautiful!

• User
    16 years ago

stunning and a DIY, to boot AND TWO PRESCHOOLERS helping. Your husband ad you should be extremely proud of a job done so well!!

Congratulations on the kitchen and the rest of the house!!

Get out and plant!!!!

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Very nice, I love it. Black Galaxy is one of my favorite granites. You should add your kitchen to the Finished Kitchens Blog - as well as the IKEA fans site - I've never seen a pic of an Askome kitchen in either. Mine's Adel white - fairly common in IKEA kitchens.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the pics of your beautiful Ikea kitchen :-) We are still finishing our DIY Ikea kitchen (w/help from an experienced friend) and it's neat to see the similarities and differences and how different the end products can be! Great design and wonderful kitchen--the transition is amazing.

• morton5
    16 years ago

Wow, it's beautiful! The neighbors must be amazed at the transformation. And I bet your kids love sitting in those cool swivel stools!

• bethesdamom2008
    16 years ago

Wow, that is a stunning kitchen! I love the marble backsplash. I can't see any grout line in the picture. Did you set it with 1/16 in spaces. Too cool!

• mayland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! Yes, we are definitely enjoying the change from the "before" photo. The whole house was in a similar condition ("a big mess", as our 4-yr old described it), so everything has undergone quite a change.

Nicole and Gina, yes, I read somewhere (IKEAfans maybe) that Askome is not very popular over here but sells well in Europe. DH is from Germany and I'm from England, so that fits! We had planned to go with Adel Birch but saw Askome in the store when we went to buy and liked it.

Sarschlos, thanks for thinking of me! I hope your plans are coming along, havent seen an update from you lately? We used the birch boxes, the color is quite close to the ash doors. DH made a few modifications:
    - he "fortified" the oven cabinet by building a frame of 2x4s for the oven shelf to sit on. That top drawer under the oven is actually a pull-down front -- we can use the space in there but the 2x4s meant that there was no room for drawer slides.
    - the oven cab is also sitting on 2x4s (which are screwed down into the floor) rather than on the IKEA legs. we looked at the plastic legs and just didnt trust them under that weight of oven! he did the same thing with the island cabs, to spread out the load.
    - the cabinet for the wine fridge (under the island) had to be "hacked" in order to fit the fridge into it. there is not much left of it!
    - the cooktop drawer cabinet had to be cut out at the top a little to give venting space for the induction cooktop.

I forgot to mention that the pendant lights are by ET2. I wanted to add some color as the walls are white and backsplash is very light.

The undercab lighting is Lowes own-brand xenon strips. We like them.

The marble was DH's idea -- i had suggested those small marble mini-bricks (like Alku05's) but we had a hard time finding any and he preferred the idea of a single sheet of something. We saw these larger marble tiles at Expo and he suggested using them. We're really pleased with how it turned out. Bethesdamom, yes the grout lines are 1/16" (we didn't do the tiling!). here's a closer-up pic, you can see the grout lines here.

i think our kids are enjoying the new kitchen almost as much as we are. I thought we would have to create a "strap" to hold the 2-yr old on her swivel stool, but she has worked it out very well. They can sit close enough to me when cooking to help mix/add but are not too close to the heat (and the induction cooktop is great as the rings do not get hot enough to burn).
    They have learned lots about various tools and know our local HD and Lowes (and IKEA) intimately! They have also developed an incredible ability to sleep through all kinds of power tools, as we did most of the work after their bedtime. One of our 2-yr old's first phrases was "daddy's making noise"!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

WONDERFUL!!! I just saw this and wanted to add my voice to the chorus. I've never seen an Askome kitchen before, to be honest, and you've done what should be considered the textbook example. The combination of the counter and backsplash with the Askome is brilliant.

Unbelievable transformation, layout (inc. the over-fridge wine cubbies--so is that wine up above and beer in the cooler? :)), and balance of warm and cool.

And I hear you about the learning opportunities for kids...we started when DD was 6, and we're just now maybe possibly winding down to the end of the first floor (before we start on her bathroom upstairs) and she's 10...you should hear her on the subject of strandwoven vs. vertical/horizontal bamboo vs. red vs. white oak, on the use of caulk rather than grout in plane changes, hardibacker vs. durock etc... LOL it's an education!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Wow...Amazing...Incredible...Gorgeous...Very impressive. Congratulations and enjoy!

• scotlandyard
    16 years ago

Gosh, it looks like it is right out of a magazine.
    BRAVO!!!!!!!!

• soigne
    16 years ago

Excellent!!!! Where did you get the L-brackets under the island overhang?

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

I'm curious. If to code you cannot put a chandelier over a tub, how come you can put pendant lights over a sink? Not being snarky but I don't see the difference.

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

Beautiful! This is almost exactly what I have planned for my new house, but I'll have Adel white cabs, honed absolute black counters and carrara subway backsplash. SO HAPPY to see my 'vision' in real life - I love it!

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

So beautiful! I am gobsmacked how you could do that remarkable space (whole house, actually) DIY with two little-bitties. My two are slightly younger than yours and there is NO WAY we would have been able to accomplish what you did. I am so impresed!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Well I don't know why the old one wasn't good enough for you...I mean it was umm HORRIFIC lol (It took vision to buy that house) heh heh

I love the new kitchen. What a great family space, and it's such a clean and cool look :) Really nicely done!!!

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Just gorgeous!!!! Contemporary yet comfortable. Great job!!!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Yes, you can plant flowers so you can bring them into your beautiful kitchen!

Congrats!

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Very nice - absolutely amazing for that budget. I am drooling over your cooktop! How are you liking the fridge? (I ask becuase its same as ours only I have the french door). I like mine but I find the freezer to be kind of a pain - sometimes it doesn't want to open all the way and the layout of the sliding trays inside makes it just plain awkward. I end up using the freezer just for ice. (its pretty much the same design as all counter depth bottom freezers so its not a knock on jennair)

• mayland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Vision" is a kind way to put it Igloo! There was something about the house that pulled us in when we saw it, despite the total lack of curb appeal and the hideous kitchen, bathrooms, living areas, garden, etc etc.

Flyleft, yes, wine above the fridge (required to give us the "vision"). I know its not the best place to store it, but we're not talking long-term storage here! The wine fridge has "good" wine (1 bottle of) and a couple of beer bottles but is mostly full of Pellegrino water. Your DD is getting a very thorough education in "Advanced Remodeling", she will be ready to graduate soon ;)

Soigne, we got the L-brackets at Lowes. i think they were in the hardware area (not the shelf bracket aisle, those were not heavy-duty enough). they were very cheap, maybe $10 each.

Dgmarie, I don't know whether the pendant lights are code. I do know i have seen other pics on here of pendants hanging over sinks, which doesn't mean that its code of course. My DH installed them (and the undercab lights). They each have their own box in the cabinet right above the pendant, so if they somehow fell, they would cut out. But i do not know if its code -- anyone else know?

Mystery, we like the fridge but wish we had gone with the french-door version you have as we didn't think about clearance between door and island -- there is not too much space to get round the door when its open (at least not for me, but thats another topic!). Yes, I agree the freezer is annoying, but i suppose all bottom-freezers must be similarly so. I do prefer having the fridge on top as we are not huge freezer-users, so for us, the frustrations of the bottom-freezer are worth it.

The cooktop is fantastic, my DH researched and bought it and I'm very glad we went with induction. We paid a lot less by importing it (I think it was about $1000), as I've read for others importing from the UK or NZ.

• ni_2006
    16 years ago

Mayland, your kitchen is beautiful! Well done!!

I just realized that we ordered the same sink and faucet for our remodel, which is underway. Can you tell me how well the combination is working for you?

Thanks!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

What an awesome kitchen! Congrats on all your hard work. It is just beautiful! Great job!

• kat123
    16 years ago

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!!!

• housecrazy1970
    16 years ago

WWWWOOOOOWWWWWWWWEEEEEEE!
    I love it. You guys should be proud! Can you tell me where you got the stools?

• beachcomber3
    16 years ago

Fantastic job! You must be so proud. Are you happy with the Ticor sink? Also, where did you get the stools?
    Thanks!

• mayland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you!
    Ni_2006, and beachcomber, we love the Ticor sink, it looks great and was such a good price. I got it after reading great reviews of Ticor sinks on here. No problems with scratching and its easy to clean. I really like the sink grids that came free with it.

The faucet is Ok, but we are not as happy as we thought we would be with it. We have a few other Danze faucets (bathroom) that are great, but this one has a little "wobble" in the neck, which is a little unexpected. Its also a little "sticky" to push back in the pull-down faucet head, and the hose inside it is made of some kind of acrylic rather than metal (which i probably would have known if I had read the product info better). It looks great (we think!), and so far no problems with leaking or anything, it just doesnt feel as sturdy as I had expected it to.

The bar stools came from a shop in Atlanta called By Design -- I'm not sure where you are, but they have stores in GA, NC and NJ. I'm linking their webpage, although I can't see those stools on there at the moment (we bought them in November). I can look at the stools later and see who the manufacturer is. They are made of molded wood and were about $100 each -- I don't think they are the best quality, they are already creaking a little (we're not _that_ heavy!), but we didn't have the budget left to buy what we really wanted from Design (not) Within Reach.

Here is a link that might be useful: by design