Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mominthedubc

Things I would NOT recommend or things I dislike!

mominthedubc
15 years ago

There is a subject on this forum of things people LOVE about their kitchens which has been very helpful. But, I was hoping we could just cut to the chase and have people tell us things they would definitely recommend AGAINST purchasing. I have been taking detailed notes of appliances etc. that people love but would appreciate being spared the agony of choosing something that is awful. So, if you unfortunately have found out the hard way and could share those things you "HATE", that would be so helpful. Thanks.

Comments (150)

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

The only thing I really dislike is my black dishwasher and wall oven. I think they clash with the soapstone (which we have kept in its natural dark grey color). I have been planning to change these out to stainless in the future, but hearing everyone else complain about stainless has me rethinking. My good friend is getting stainless in her new kitchen. I will have to see how she likes it/how it looks in use.

Said in a really small whisper: I really like (love) everything else about my kitchen. I wouldn't change anything.

• cate1337
    15 years ago

Insecure1, the brown pledge worked! Thank you thank you thank you. You should have seen 5'2" me up on a step-stool, then with a microfiber cloth, soaked in Pledge, fastened on my Swiffer, swiping away at the vent hood chimney.

Btw, I found a delightful gardenia-scented natural countertop cleaner at Whole Foods. It works just fine, but the smell... I have to confess that I made DH sniff my hands an hour later just because it smells so good.

• holligator
    15 years ago

Holligator, what is the model # of your KA CD? How long have you had it?

Mine is the KSCS25FTSS, and we've had it since January. Normally, I can't stand Best Buy for appliances, but when I just Googled to get the model number, it came up with a fantastic deal on this fridge from Best Buy! Only $1,799.99--about $600 less than what we paid on sale at Lowe's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great deal on this fridge from Best Buy

• iwantakitchen
    15 years ago

is this pledge in a brown can furniture polish? the aresol spray can?

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just love it when people share and we all benefit. Hopefully more people will read about Insecure1's suggestion about the Pledge on SS, such an easy fix! Thanks so much. Now if I can just decide on the appliances so I can USE the Pledge!

Holligator, thanks for the info on the Fridge.

• cate1337
    15 years ago

Yup, brown-colored-can aerosol furniture polish Pledge. Moisturizing, I think. I picked some up at Kroger last night. It was between the yellow, lemony and white, anti-allergen options.

Here is a link that might be useful: I think I could have lived without it

• coolbeansw
    15 years ago

RE: KA fridges, I haven't read complaints about their freestanding, counter-depth, and/or french door models. The poor temperature regulation seems to be in the side-by-side built-in models.

• ne_flyingdiver
    15 years ago

I really, really dislike my Dacor ss gas cook top. I'm happy to be moving and leaving it behind! So long dirty, staining POS cooktop! I have a friend w/ the same cooktop, manufactured about 8 years ago and they stain - brown, high heat burn marks. Also, bye bye Dacor downdraft vent. I've set the fire alarm off countless times in this house b/c the vent is not powerfull enough for searing meats.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I just love it when people share and we all benefit. Hopefully more people will read about Insecure1's suggestion about the Pledge on SS, such an easy fix! Thanks so much. Now if I can just decide on the appliances so I can USE the Pledge!

I was told to avoid using any products on SS for as long as possible. I have used nothing on my SS fridge and DW except a damp microfiber cloth, followed by a dry microfiber cloth (the range needs a cleaner to get greasy messes). Four months later and still no finger prints. Then again, I don't have little people here on a regular basis, but I do have several grown and not-careful males who do their best to make a mess.

Holligator, thanks for the info on the Fridge.

You're welcome--I hope you can take advantage of that incredible deal!

• mls99
    15 years ago

Mistake in planning: hydronic toekick heater (fantastic) right next to pull out trash cabinet. Gently warms the trash...

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To Coolbeans: Thank you. It is always so confusing, wondering if these complaints apply to the whole brand or not. I have heard of problems with the ice maker with the CD. So, now I am trying to decide on Monogram, Profile or KA sxs w/ ice and water in door. Thought it would be easier!

To Holligator:
    "I was told to avoid using any products on SS for as long as possible. I have used nothing on my SS fridge and DW except a damp microfiber cloth, followed by a dry microfiber cloth (the range needs a cleaner to get greasy messes). Four months later and still no finger prints. Then again, I don't have little people here on a regular basis, but I do have several grown and not-careful males who do their best to make a mess."

Oops, guess I had better ask the Dealer before using the Pledge. I'll try the microfiber first. Thanks

To: NE flyingdiver, LOL about the Dacor hood!

• nuccia
    15 years ago

I love the kitchen forum because it is a wonderful source of real life experience as well as many opinions, pros and cons, about whatever the product du jour happens to be. Occasionally, an "expert" will join in and give background information as a matter of clarification. This is what I assumed kaseki attempted to do with his/her discourse on the "proper brewing temperatures" of various teas.

I love a good, strong (but not bitter) cup of tea with milk (gasp!) or occasionally lemon and honey. My personal experience has been that when the water temperature is not boiling or close to boiling, the tea (in my opinion) has a muddied flavor. When using tea bags (double gasp!), the tea tastes like paper. I am aware that white and green teas are brewed at lower temperatures, but I do not care for them. Darjeeling is one of my favorite teas, so when kaseki said she/he brewed it at 175F for 2 minutes, I was genuinely intrigued and followed the link he/she so helpfully provided to Upton Tea Imports.

Interestingly though, the site stated that most teas are brewed at 212F. I then followed the links to the Puttabong Estate 2nd Flush Darjeeling and was pleasantly surprised to find the following:

"From a first-rate estate, this is a full-flavored selection with hints of chestnuts and pleasing muscatel notes. The cup is rich enough to support a touch of milk or cream but is also excellent plain. Steeping Suggestions: Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup; Water Temp: 212° (boiling); Steep Time: 3 min."

It sounds that while kaseki has excellent taste in tea, he/she doesn't practice what his/her own experts teach and implies that his/her personal preference is the "correct" brewing method!

cotehele and I like tea brewed with boiling water, and kaseki doesn't--it's that simple!

I'm apologize for going off on a rant--I should have let the comments slide, but I'm a Taurus...

Here is a link that might be useful: Puttabong Estate 2nd Flush Darjeeling Info from Upton Tea Imports

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MLS 99, I meant to say LOL to you regarding the warm trash. :)

NE Flyingdiver, sorry...there's nothing funny about setting off the fire alarm, I know because it happens to us all the time.

Does anyone have any experience with Electrolux appliances where you would NOT recommend them?

• plasticontainercity
    15 years ago

Now this is called as an active post.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

Holligator, you said, "The only thing I really don't like is not having enough shallow drawers. I have tons of utensils and gadgets and could use more shallow drawers in which to store them. I have plenty of deep drawers..."

For organizing I am thinking about "double decker drawers" in my deeper drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double decker drawers

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I have the Frigidaire Duel Fuel Slide In Range (Electrolux is the company I have to deal with for repairs). After a couple of uses, the enamel started chipping off the grates. When I phoned the service company they said they'd just rec'd an email from Electrolux saying that the grates were NOT covered under the warranty! What???

I was prepared to take my range back and get a different one. But when I phoned Electrolux head office, they said they'd replace them ONE TIME as a customer service gesture. Took several months, several phone calls and emails, and they finally arrived last week. They look like they are much more heavily coated than the ones that came with the stove- though they didn't send a middle grate (no burner under the middle one). Knowing this, I might avoid Electrolux for any more purchases. I mean how would you know what is and isn't covered when you buy an extended warranty (that costs $$$$) you expect everything is!

• whoooooooooosh
    15 years ago

TOWEL RACK

I did lubricate it with silcon spray... no improvement

2 of the towel bars, when pulled, came out and off in my hand.

I mounted it to the side of my cabinet, because my cabinets were too deep to mount from the rear. The bars would not have extended far enough had I rear mounted.

You know, these towel rack posts are rather explicit... winks

Anyone had any luck with another towel rack of a similar design?

Oh... I'm english, I like my tea made with boiling water, with 1% milk and NO sugar. The milk is not to mask the tannin as I don't let mine 'steep' long enough to get that thickish, heavy tannin depth. Just enough to infuse the flavour and NOT tast hot water. Okay?

Kettle's boiling!

The design is flawed.

I

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To raehelen: Thanks. I was considering Electrolux but I think you've helped me decide not to. However, I know there are problems with every manufacturer. Wouldn't it be nice if there was one where we could say they handled everything brilliantly?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Our Electrolux freezer came with a dent on the back. I really think it was due to storage or transport, but Electrolux replaced it. I contacted our appliance salesman about the damage, and he did the communicating with Electrolux on this, so maybe that's why we got good service?-- Not sure, but in this case I have no complaints about their speed or their taking responsibility for the appliance. I'm sorry to hear that others aren't able to say the same.

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Holligator, went and checked out the KA CD today and decided this was it, thank you! But then when I checked the specs and actually measured it at Best Buy, it seems pretty deep; 33 1/4" with handles. So, how does yours work in your kitchen? We do not want a fridge to stick out like ours does now, but this KA seems like it will stick out a lot. I don't get it. Thanks.

• teddas
    15 years ago

I really dislike that in my current kitchen I can not simmer on my gas cooktop.

• plasticontainercity
    15 years ago

My fridge is sky blue in color and it is loosing its color its getting black in color I tried almost all the cleaners but no use I am afraid it will loose its looks soon.Now I am thinking of using some strong cleaners acid based but am afraid that it will make the condition more worst.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

Just have to comment on the pull out shelves in lower cabinets. If you can't have drawers, they are the best! It cracks me up that having to do 2 simple motions bothers some people. Would I rather simply open the door and pull out the shelf where I can easily access things in the back of the cab or would I rather take a bunch of stuff out first and kill my back and knees (neither of which are the greatest) to see back in there in the first place and then to FINALLY get the big pot or cans of cranberry sauce or whatever? And then to put all the front stuff back in. (Not to mention, having to take it all out again to replace the pot!!) No question!!! I bought a couple of these on ebay and installed them in lower cabs and it was a great move.

As for fridges, I got my side by side a long while ago and am looking forward to replacing it. I wanted it so much at the time, thinking it would be great not having to reach down just to get some milk or juice. But the lack of horizontal space drives me crazy. Same with the freezer....won't even hold a frozen pizza. I hate it.

• montalvo
    15 years ago

jessie21, your decision to install pull-outs in existing cabinets is definitely an improvement over shelves in most cases. But if you're building/remodeling a kitchen, drawers are still a more convenient solution.

Making a kitchen as user-friendly and efficient as possible really can increase your enjoyment while working in the kitchen. IMHO, replacing "two simple motions" with one is only common sense when there's a negligible difference in cost between pull-outs and drawers.

Bob

• nuccia
    15 years ago

Montalvo is right about "replacing two simple motions with one." In fact, this is one of the basics of good design. Another thing I remember reading is that when you nest items such as bowls, you should only nest as many as you can remove in one easy motion. As an example, if you nest 4-5 heavy mixing bowls, you may need to drag the entire bunch out to your counter to get to one of them, whereas if you only nest 2, you can get either one easily.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I was told pull out height is adjustable. Drawers are not. Two motions are worth the flexibility for me; I change things quite often.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

Yes, Bob and nuccia, as I said, "If you can't have drawers..." which means drawers are even better in many situations. I recently had a nice, wide bank of drawers built, which I love. But in my existing cabinets, the pull outs are fantastic, super easy, and save my body from unnecessary strain and pain.

Also, I personally prefer the look of the mix...both drawers and regular cabs...more varried and interesting imo. I'm not putting having all drawers down....I just like the look of both together better. Even if I were building from scratch, I would include more drawers, but would want cabinets with pull outs too. They are great and look nice.

• iinsic
    15 years ago

We've had a Frigidaire DF slide in for about 5 years now, and we like it. The top is black, so it is relatively difficult to keep spotless, but the grates and surfaces have held up really well. Plus, with the warming drawer it is certainly versatile.

Having said that, in retrospect, I'd prefer having a range top/cooktop and double wall ovens. This is only based on how our usage has been over these last 5 years and not an idictment of the Frigidaire.

• montalvo
    15 years ago

cotehele, I'm unaware of any pull-outs that are "adjustable". Perhaps what you're referring to is that you can unscrew the pull-out tracks and re-mount them at higher or lower levels. While that may sound equivalent to "adjustable", it's unlikely that most folks would invest the time and labor to do that each time they've bought a new kitchen gadget. Instead, they'll simply re-jigger their storage plan to fit the existing configuration or purchase add-ons which provide a second level within an existing pull-out...in other words, the same thing you'd do if you had drawers.

jessie12's point about aesthetics is valid. Taste is taste and if you like the look of cabinet doors, then that's what you should get.

Bob

• savvy50
    15 years ago

Absolutely do not recommend stainless steel counters or anywhere horizontal 'cause it scratches so easily. Love over the range microwave/fan combo for smallish kitchens as well as hanging pots and pans on a frame over an island. So great for frequent use items! One last clutter-buster is a 'knife rack' for kitchen knives which fits on the INSIDE panel of a lower kitchen cabinet door which was recommended by a friend. What a space-saver(and safer too) and so simple; I've been able to get rid of my knife-block which was sitting on my counter forever. I got mine really fast from www.knifeholder.net.

• napagirl
    15 years ago

TOWEL RACK

whooooooosh, Thanks for the follow-up on the Hafele towel rack. After looking at the PDF detailed specifications (linked below), I realize that the 2 bars didn't slide off their track, but must have pulled loose from the "traveling mechanism". Could you not glue them back in? The other problem you had with the rack not gliding smoothly may be the result of the short length (3-4"?) of the sliding mechanism. Other cheaper brands seem to have a longer bar (which also prevents them from extending as far as the Hafele. Did you contact Hafele Customer Service - there tel # is in the link below.

Did you see the post on 4-29 from billip who recommended the
    Ikea Towel Rail
    , and said it worked fine?

Its hard to believe that the $10 Ikea works better than the $60-$72 Hafele!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele Towel Rack Specifications

• angelcub
    15 years ago

If I could change something I would probably have a KA DW drawer on each side of the sink instead of the two stacked like I currently have. I tend to not use the bottom one and then curse because I can't fit everything in the top one. My VAH is a little louder than I expected, too, but after 18 mos. I'm about over it.

As for cleaning the Wolf, maybe try avoiding the mess in the first place. I rarely use more than two burners at a time so I cover any areas that might get dirty with a dish towel. I'm careful to keep it away from those blazing flames. Afterward I just toss the towel in the laundry basket that holds the other soiled towels.

• huango
    15 years ago

savvy50: "Absolutely do not recommend stainless steel counters or anywhere horizontal 'cause it scratches so easily."
    Could you elaborate more on this? Do you have stainless steel counters?
    I'm so set on getting stainless steel counters for so many reasons:
    - seamless sink
    - seamless backsplash
    - resists heat/damage

I'm thinking of getting stainless steel that is already BRUSHED so that when I add more scratches to it, you won't know because all the scratches will blend in.

thanks for your help.
    Amanda

• nuccia
    15 years ago

huango, I do not have, or have ever had stainless counters, because I was told they are very noisy. I don't know if you can muffle them somehow--perhaps savvy50 knows.

• huango
    15 years ago

nuccia: okay, that's one I haven't heard of. hmmm...what do you mean by noisy? When you put down a plate, or when you bang on it? oh, maybe when you slide things across the counter? Right now I have 2 toddlers, who will grow up to be teenagers (who brings home teenage friends with them): will I even notice the noise?
    I did think it was rather loud when I smashed the garlic (on Corian counters) this morning. Would it be much louder than that?

I've worked many years in my parents' restaurant which had stainless steel counters everywhere. I don't remember hearing noise...

Appreciate any more info you can share.
    thank you.
    Amanda

• nuccia
    15 years ago

As I said huango, I do not have first hand experience with this, but I remember reading this from one of the many kitchen design books I consulted. I imagined it akin to the sound made when you bang a pot with a metal utensil.

You obviously have first hand experience with stainless counters and have been pleased. I'd look at your parents' restaurant counters closely and try to figure out what gauge of stainless was used as well as the material used as a base for the platform. I'm sure some materials would have better sound dampening properties than others. Also, if the stainless was wrapped around a frame without a solid core, I could definitely see how any noise would resonate loudly.

Scratches are unavoidable, though. Again, I'd look at your parents' counters and make the determination as to how that specific "patina" would look in your kitchen.

Good Luck!

• cate1337
    15 years ago

Savvy50 - My apologies in advance if I offend you, but are you connected with Knifeholder.net?

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

We love our stainless steel counters! Yes, they show scratches, but we never have to worry about putting hot pans on them. The stainless is in the "working" part of our kitchen: hot & cleanup zones. We put granite on our island.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

We also LOVE our stainless counters. We expected them to scratch, so just laughed when we got the first one in short order after installing them. In a past thread about stainless counters, people said they actually look best after they are all scratched, and the patina results in kind of a glowing, soft sheen, rather than the more shiny surface (even for satin finish ones) they start with...The scratches eventually all blend together.

Ours are not noisy. They are wrapped over/around 3 layers of particle board, so it's not like they're hollow...I don't know how everyone's are done, of course. It's been different to get used to the idea that we can just plop hot pans on them, but it's great!

Boy, I appreciate the suggestion, but I could/would never teach my kids to put towels anywhere near my Wolf rangetop...and when I'm cooking for 10 and have cooking helpers, it's rarely possible to save any parts of it from mess, since so many of the 8 burners are in use. It'll just have to look well-used and messy, and I'll have to do the best I can to scrub it. It looks great from a distance (thank goodness), just not so much when you're looking right into it.

• bethv
    15 years ago

Can't deal with double-handle faucets - the process of getting the temperature correct and the water pressure by futzing with 2 separate knobs drives me wacky. I know some people love the look - but NOT for me.

Also, don't like tile in the kitchen - it killed my back.

Wouldn't recommend base cabinets with fixes shelves - pullouts or drawers are so much better.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

montalvo,
    Yes, shelves that can be repositioned is exactly what I had in mind. I am the kind of person who would reposition the shelves rather than buying a second level add-on. I know I am going against the prevailing trend, but drawers just don't have much appeal.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Rhome410...why are you cleaning up?!! :-)
    With 8 children I'd think one of them would be cleaning up! I'm the oldest of 6 and when I was growing up we kids rotated having dish duty for a week each. My mom did all the cooking until she started working outside the home when I was in 6th grade or so (my youngest sister was in Kindergarten). Come to think of it, most of the chores were done by us kids...they were broken down into 6 sets of chores & we each had a particular chore set for a week.

Cotehele...one of the advantages of drawers, IMHO, is that they have higher sides that help keep things from falling off when pulling them out. However, to each his own! We have almost all drawer bases in our new kitchen with the exception of the "Pet Center" that has 2 FE pullouts + drawer--we'll be removing the pullouts (was supposed to be full-height/no shelves or drawer, but KD ordered incorrectly), sink bases, and two 6" filler pullouts. I do think Jessie21 has a point though...I think the two pullouts flanking our cooktop do look better than if I had had all drawers on that side. (The other side is broken up w/DW, sink base, & trash pullout)

Things I do not recommend:

• regular shelves (adjustable or not!) in base cabinets (obvious, I know!)

• shallow cabinet above refrigerator...even if you have to pull a 12" deep one out to make it flush w/your refrigerator, do it!

• not having a utility cabinet for broom/mop/dustpan/etc. We tried to fit one in, but couldn't so now I'm trying to figure out how best to put them in our step-in pantry. We had them in our previous pantry but they were always in the way. I'm trying to figure out a better method for handling them this time other than just mounting them on the wall next to the shelves or on the door (our door has a frosted glass inset so there's no place to hang them there.)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Buehl :-) ...I honestly don't do much cleanup in the kitchen, except 'catch-up' when things get bad around the edges (you know, the things kids never see)...But I have taken on the rangetop while we are all getting used to it. 3 reasons for that:
    1) It's kind of like when you get a new car and want to baby it yourself for awhile ;-)

2) I don't think my 11 and under dish-doers are up to the task with the heavy grates and getting out the underpans. The oldest 2 have school and full-time jobs, the younger teens are in spring sports right now and aren't around on a consistent basis...Our busy time of year. They each get to choose one sport, and they all seem to be in the spring!

And #3, which is the biggest reason: I want to learn how to do it best and most efficiently myself, so then I can show them. Our whole kitchen is different than any we've ever had, with plenty of jobs for everyone, so I didn't dump the rangetop and its particular challenges on top of it all. We're still working out the cleaning assignments and schedule just for the 'normal' stuff. Next year at this time, I expect it will be a whole different story, and we will have an established cleanup routine that also handles the stove. I hope, anyway!

• carlajp
    15 years ago

I hate big, deep microwaves, especially when they're installed with ugly trim kits. A mid-size micro that's only about 12" deep is fine. It does popcorn, heats water, melts butter, warms a plate. What else do you need a microwave to do?

• alku05
    15 years ago

Tile countertops.

I think I was happier the day the sledgehammer hit those 4" tiles than any other day in the remodel process, including the day it was done. Those grout lines were evil.

You could probably be happy with 24" tiles for counters, but anything smaller than that is NOT worth the savings.

• whoooooooooosh
    15 years ago

Nappa and Billip

Thanks so much for your postings and findings. I'm going to try the Ikea. Nappa, I think you may have something regarding the mechanism. I didn't want to mess with glue and yest I contacted Customer Service... they just arranged pick-up... they didn't seem to know anything about the product!

• mominthedubc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Things I dislike in my kitchen:

white linoleum; changed to hardwood
    Loud dishwasher

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I've done 2 kitchen remodels in 3 years. (Some people golf, some people read.......)

Things I *hated* about my last kitchen:

-Drawers instead of pull-outs. I know everyone says they're better b/c of the one motion thing, but I had both drawers and pull outs behind doors, and I hated the drawers. With pull outs, you have a shallow base or tray that things sit on. So if you have big bulky items, the items can sit on the pullout tray bottom, but the handles, lids, etc can overhang into the dead space on the sides of the pullout (inside the cabinet). With drawers, the sides of the drawers go all the way to the top, so everything is confined. I put drawers in my last kitchen based *solely* upon reading these boards. It was one of the worst decisions I made. That "dead space" within a pullout cabinet is great for large bulky items, and it makes it to where things don't have to be arranged just so to fit within the drawer.

-pull out trash I got rid of my compactor and did 2 pull out trash cans instead. Big mistake. I missed my compactor instantly.

-Smooth top downdraft range. When we moved that range was "like new". Because I hated it, and never used it.

-Open kitchen. I know I'm a minority, but I hated it. We specifically opened the kitchen in the remodel. We started the remodel when the kids were younger, and finished as they started getting older and having later and sporadic schedules. There was nothing worse than DH and I trying to sit down and quietly watch Seinfeld and having a group of sweaty, hungry loud kids come home from practice and want to fix themselves a snack. The ice maker, the microwave, trash cabinet opening and closing, etc. I couldn't wait to get rid of that dang open kitchen!

• thankurnmo
    15 years ago

Reno fan- that is funny that you mention disliking the open floor plan. We have it (at least re the kitchen and family room)... I don't really mind it, but DH is always talking about the NEXT house NOT having that. It's true, when you are trying to sit and eat and the tv is blaring or you are trying to watch tv and the conversations in the kitchen interfere.
    I know most people prefer it, and does look nice, but it doesnt necessarily work great for us either.

• billp
    15 years ago

whoooooooooosh,

You're very welcome. I just have to add, instead of wondering how a $10 thing could be as good as a $60 thing, my thought was why would a simple sliding towel rack even need to be $65?? $10 seems to be all that it's worth, and a fair price, like most Ikea stuff. I assure you, the Ikea product works perfectly well, going on about 8 months now.

Billp