Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small kitchen finally done! pics

Posted by ship4u (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 13:23

He everyone,
All of you have been very helpful to us for the past couple of years. We have followed along in countless discussions, and I apologize for not posting more.

Our kitchen is finally done, and I figured out how to post to photobucket. Hope it works. We are looking forward to your comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small kitchen finally done! pics

If someone can tell me how to post the photos better, I'd appreciate it!

o

Here you go...

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting pictures

o

Great job! What a transformation! It looks really great with some new and different choices that are just perfect and unique. Beautiful!

o

Beeeootiful! L.O.V.E. the windows, btw. Looks really appropriate for what little I can see in the other parts of the house. What kind of wood did you use for your counter and how was it finished? The floor tiles are lovely and suit the overall feel perfectly. Did you re-use some cabinets or just re-do the decorative scrolls under the wall cabs? Can you post some particulars? And the ceiling light is wonderful! I like that it's unique...

o

Those oak counters look worthy of an upscale, old world hotel lobby or bar! The whole kitchen is very charming!

o

That is an impressive change!!!! Beautiful. And I love your gorgeous little table.

If you'd like to post a few of the actual photos, just copy and paste the HTML codes into your post.

I hope this isn't stepping on your toes, but here are a couple to start, because I know people like to see photos...a before and an after:

B. nook before opening the wall

A. finished view from nook

I can just gaze and gaze at your 'after.' It's such a warm and comfortable looking space. You countertops are so great.

o

Ditto deedles. More details, please! I'm curious how much you reused -- the microwave hutch and the one in the adjoining room are similar to the originals, but it looks like it would have been a big job to modify -- did you replace or refinish? Moving the sink made a huge difference. It fits the feel of the rest of the house very well, and opening up the wall certainly helped flow! A great example of how multiple wood tones and grains can work beautifully together. What's the floor tile? Very pretty.

o

Love how it looks with that full wall gone. Everything
looks wonderful! Congrats

o

Beautiful! What a huge difference it made opening up your space! Just love the beautiful, warm look. Gorgeous counters and floor. Would also love to know who made your floor tiles.

Enjoy your lovely new space and thanks for sharing the pictures.

o

Charming is the first word that comes to mind! You did a great job. The counters are really nice!

o

Everything looks beautiful. Love it.

o

Wow, thanks for the support! This group is wonderful.
Okay, the details. Our house is a 1920's Tudor revival in an historic area of Ohio with an English Arts & Crafts interior. We knew we were facing a challenge when we moved in 6 years ago because most of the kitchen had been redone in the 70's with cheap pressed board cabinets, formica counters and linoleum floor. Only the pantry remained as an artifact of the old cabinets. The kitchen is very small, so we needed to maximize the available space.

We knew that we wanted to open up the space, but keep the nook in tact. This has worked very well for when we entertain. We love to cook and our guests can enjoy themselves and converse while we cook. We installed 2 Polk Audio stereo speakers in the ceiling to add to the entertaining. Opening the space required diverting 2 steam radiator lines and an upstairs sink drain. The cabinets were custom built and installed by an Amish company, Graber Cabinets. They were fantastic to work with. I had them replicate the original ogee brackets, and the "cloud lift" design in the upper cabinets. The cabinets are solid cherry and they did a great job matching the grain to give a nice blend across the wood boards. The doors and drawers were done in a beaded inset, as they would have been done back in the 20's. We had them stain the cherry wood to a brown color to resemble the wood in the rest of the house and to look the way that cherry gets when it ages. The pulls are a mission style hand rubbed brass.

The counter tops are solid oak butcher block, that we hoped would give a warm feel to the small space. The stain brings out the grain and, we think, accents the cabinet color.

The sink is the Kohler cast iron farm sink. We chose it over the Shaw mainly for durability. It has been fantastic. The sink top is soapstone with a slight drain board cut into it. The faucet is a Grohe bridge faucet. You'll also notice that we had the soapstone fabricator carry the cloud lift motif into the back splash, with a reverse design.

The floor is done with hand made terra cotta quarry tiles from Doylestown, PA. These were unglazed 4 inch tiles, similar to what was installed in Arts & Crafts homes of the era. Rather than the traditional linseed oil & wax finish, we were able to mimick the look of wax with a product called AquaMix Low Sheen Sealer. We grouted the tiles wider spaced with a dark gray grout, again, like it used to be done years ago.

Finally, the little details. We had 2 lions heads made by a plaster company in Cleveland to dress up the wall opening. We had the Greene & Greene wood and leaded glass light custom made to match the color of the cabinets.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.

o

Your kitchen moved me! I had to dig out my password so I could sign in. I love such kitchens as yours that are designed to fit in the available space. They have such character. Plus your choices of tile, cabinets, counters, etc and how they work together are inspired. Dark but glowing! I too am in love with the table.

o

Bore us ??? Wow...you have a beautiful space now. It suits what I can see of the rest of your home to a T . Simple and lovely and tasteful. Your craftsman was surely an artist. Hope you enjoy cooking there for many years. Would love to see more pics of the whole house/exterior too :) c

o

What a beautiful kitchen! Are your floor tiles from the Moravian tile works? (I grew up in Doylestown and really wish we could have used some of the tiles I have from there in our kitchen) I love how well everything goes together, and how removing that part of the wall, but preserving the nook, opened things up.

o

Really beautiful. (share where you are in Ohio? We used to live in Cuyahoga Falls). Your house reminds me so much of the area.

leela4, I grew up in that area too...I have some tiles as well from there. My dh loves that place.

Bravo!!

o

Very lovely and in keeping with the character of the home. I lived in Shaker Heights many years ago and am familiar with the craftsmanship of older homes in the area.

Opening up the space was the perfect solution and I really love the countertops! Great job! Enjoy for many years to come!!!

o

Oh my, what a difference from the before picture! You have done a beautiful job! Love the wall opened up! Love everything about it! Enjoy!

o

I love it! SO warm and inviting. I love the countertops.

o

Such a beautiful space! That looks like such a warm and inviting kitchen! I could imagine sitting in it for hours. Love the oak countertops!

o

Very nice, now it is time to enjoy it.

o

bore anyone? ha! I don't think so!

'Amish company, Graber Cabinets' - out by Leo? do you live in the area or were they shipped to you? I used to live close to there - over on 327 on Cedar Creek.
Those Amish do awesome work. We had some build our addition - it was a work of art. They finished a month early (lucky for me cause I was due w/my youngest) and under budget! that was amazing itself. It wasn't the cabinet people but we had a lot of Amish in the area. Great workers!

I gotta go back and look some more. My first thought was 'lovely, just lovely!'

o

Love your sink, looks great in the space.

o
wrong state

the Graber cab company i know is in IN, not OH.

where'd you get the register grate? LOVE IT!

o

hope it's ok that I'm posting 2 more pics - much easier to see the counter top and other details -

C. oak counter tops

E. stove moved

o

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments. So many of you have created fantastic kitchens with a lot of space to work with, we weren't sure how you'd take to a small one.

Hi leela4, When we were planning the floor, we wanted to do quarry tile that looked similar to the tiles in our front foyer. With some research, we discovered that, in fact, they were done by Moravian tile back in the days of Mercer. Thanks to the beauty of the internet, I found a craftsman who had worked at Moravian and we arranged to have them done in the same technique. The variation in clay tone is caused by the firing process, in which they sprinkle saw dust on the surface of the clay while it is being fired. This "smoking" effect is also still used in Europe.

laxsupermom, we spend a lot of time in the kitchen. We're not gourmet, but we enjoy cooking together. It was important that the room felt comfortable and was workable, but we wanted to keep it basic, in the style of the Arts and Crafts.

As you might guess, we love old world craftsmanship and we love the warmth of wood. We wanted to create a kitchen that looked, at first glance, that it could have been original to the house.

clarygrace, we are in one of the smaller homes in Shaker Heights:
our house

o

What a sweet picture ! I was born in Findlay OH and lived in Deshler OH till I was 12. Went back 2 years ago for the first time since I left. Lots of things the same and a lot of differences too. Town used to have 4000.

Again, you have made a perfect kitchen to fit your lovely home. c

o

congratulations! you did a beautiful job and it fits your home perfectly! enjoy your lovelyl kitchen!

o

That is a truly lovely kitchen! Don't know how much blood and tears went into that transformation, but it sure looks like a helluva lot of sweat and much love went into that final result! And, from what I can tell, it is so befitting your lovely house. Congratulations and enjoy!

o

Oh, your house looks so sweet (as do the two of you posed in front)!!!!

We GW TKO types love kitchens of all shapes and sizes! Yours is perfect. :-)

o

Beautiful kitchen, gorgeous home, lovely couple!! I wish you lots of happiness in your new kitchen. It's perfect!

o

Wow. You had me at the start with the warmth of the lovely wood countertops and tile floors...and then I scrolled down to see that incredible table and chairs! Swoon! What a perfect place to read a book and sip coffee...(and it would fit perfectly in my less-impressive small kitchen). ;)

And then you had to go and post a picture of the front...
*GASP* Can we have a whole home tour someday?

o

So nicely done and in keeping with your home.

o

*sigh*

It's a storybook house.

I miss O-HI-O

o

To my eye you certainly accomplished your goal--your kitchen looks like it belongs in your home--absolutely. You obviously agonized over the details and it shows. It is a lovely, warm, and welcoming space. Love that you preserved the nook as a separate space but opened that wall--brilliant! You have certainly optimized the functionality of the space in such a charming way. Can't name a favorite feature--I love it all!!! Enjoy!

o

Charming, refreshing, tasteful, wonderful and full of character. It's so nice to see that someone does not believe that ALL kitchens need granite to be WOW.

o

Just beautiful! I love the cabinetry and all the details. You did an excellent job and I hope you enjoy this wonderful kitchen!

o

It is just beautiful!

o

What a wonderful home! I love the outside as well as your lovely new kitchen. You have great taste!

o

What a beautiful kitchen and home! You did an amazing job!! I love all of your choices especially the wooden and SS counters and the tile floor..everything is just so perfect!!! I love it! Congratulations on a job well done!

o

Gorgeous! Your oak counters are just beautiful!

o

Gorgeous kitchen. I love the thoughtful details and the materials and feel of the whole.

o

Looks perfect in your house

Are you happy with the Bosch range?

How did you treat the transition between the two countertop materials?

o

I love you house and think you did a wonderful job of maintaining the charm of your house. I hope you keep your windows. I've lived for 20 years (in previous houses) with original windows such as yours. If necessary, have custom storms made to provide insulation. They're cheaper than replacements and replacement windows don't do the house justice. Shaker Heights is such a lovely area. I hope you enjoy your lovely home for many years.

o

I had to come back and take another look, such a lovely, lovely kitchen. If I squint at your pics, I just just make out what my burgundy-red cabs with wood counter tops would look like and I thank you for posting pics to help me see that the direction I want to go in could turn out so wonderfully! Love the feel of your kitchen...comfy and elegant.

o

It's so warm and inviting! Lovely kitchen.

o

ship4u - love your gorgeous home and hello from a fellow Ohioan!

beekeeperswife - I live in Cuyahoga Falls!

o

I'm enjoying going back and re-reading the wonderful comments, over and over.

desertsteph, The actual name is "Cabinets by Graber," and their shop is in Grabill, Indiana (we're in Ohio, but it was no probelm for them). It's run by Abe Graber, and a lot of the craftsmen are family. They will come to your home, where ever you are, measure your space, and work with you directly to decide what works best with what you are trying to achieve. They send you drawings for you to make what ever changes you want, as many times as you want. Then, they bring them to your house. They will install for you, or work with your contractor. They made the whole job wonderfully pleasant, fun actually.

We did not tear out the walls, but they were okay with fitting the cabinets without adding extra molding between the cabinets and the wall. They actually scribed each cabinet to fit. We also had them fabricate custom crown molding to match the crown molding in the living room.

I was able to go back and recess the under cabinet lights and put them on a dimmer. It shows off the cloud lift bottom front of the upper cabinets. The dimmer works nicely when you just want a soft light when you leave the kitchen to sit in the living room.

o

We picked up the grate in the basement junk of an antique shop for $15. It had about 10 coats of paint concealing the beauty. I thought I was going to need to have it replated, but I was able to use it as it was. Just used your typical stripper in a pan, brushed it off and sprayed it with a can of clear coat.

o

This is my very first post on this forum..what a beautiful "storybook cottage" but what struck me was the sweet photo of you two in front of your home..just lovely!

o

I don't understand what you mean by 'cloud lift?'

o

What a wonderful kitchen! Those windows are beautiful and the entire kitchen suits your lovely home. Great project and I am saving a few pictures to my file. Hope you don't mind :)

o

I absolutely love your kitchen! So warm and fitting in your home...the dark wood cabinets, brackets, counters, flooring. And then the little details you added give it even more personality. Thanks so much for sharing and enjoy your beautiful new space!

o

Cloud Lift is the name of the shape of the rail on the very bottom of the upper cabinets.

o

Oh, my, I LOVE your kitchen and home!

I just had to post more pics of your kitchen in this thread

Pantry and built-in MW area
I. pantry & built in microwave

Love that you replicated the original Ogee brackets in your new kitchen.
Z.  original ogee bracket

Plaster cast lion's head (so cool!)
R. Plaster cast Lion's Head

Greene & Greene style light - so period perfect.
S.  Greene & Greene style light

Old grate for vent cover - what a great reuse. Reminds me of the floor grates at my grandparents' home.
T.  Old grate for vent cover

Nook cabs with glass doors
Y.  Nook cabinet with glass doors

o

Congrats, guys. Your kitchen strikes me as one of those where everything seems just right. People wanting a "timeless" look might see this and consider going for a look so appropriate to the building it's in that it seems "inevitable" instead. :) Happy cooking!

o

I love Tudors and yours is probably the coolest one I've ever seen!! That roof! Those windows! If I lived there I would stand outside all day long and stare at it. You did such a nice job with the kitchen. Great idea to knock down that wall, it's so open now. I LOVE your counter!! lovely job, enjoy your new kitchen! :o)

o

Beautiful! This is the kitchen your house was meant to have. Floor, countertop, and cabinets are individually and all together perfect.
Thank you for sharing.
Sandra

o

Ooh, I'm so jealous of your storybook tudor. What a delightful house and the kitchen is perfect for it.

o

Hi deedles, sorry, I should have explained that the "cloud lift" design is an Arts & Crafts design used a lot in the Greene brothers architecture and furniture. It was borrowed from an asian design to add a light feeling, i.e. cloud lift.
In the photo below, look at the piece of wood under the microwave. The cutout in the middle is the cloud lift. It's subtle. It's also in the ceiling light.

I. pantry & built in microwave
S.  Greene & Greene style light

Hi palimpsest, we love the Bosch stove. We realized that stoves like the Viking were too much stove for us and we liked the way the Bosch seemed to offer the best of all worlds. The grates work nicely, it's a nice size, and the oven is electric convection. And, the price was right.

The transition between the soapstone and oak was a concern at the planning stage, but turned out to be no problem. The oak was installed first, before the soapstone fabricator came to do his job. The soapstone simply butts against the oak, but it is slightly lower than the oak, so it looks pretty natural of a transition.

o

I love your kitchen, it is just so perfect! The details are beautiful and just flow together in such a graceful and warm way - thank you so much for sharing. The windows are especially fabulous.

o

I just love this kitchen. I want to hug it and squeeze it. I love what you've done with the small space and all the period touches. I have to say that my favorite thing of all are the plaster lions' heads. Even if it didn't fit my style kitchen I would have one of those!

o

Hi hellonasty, the first thing we did when we moved in was the landscaping......so we could sit outside and admire the house. We put in an antique granite cobblestone driveway, but that's a whole other story.......

o

Hi linelle,
There is an old company here in Cleveland, "Fischer & Jirouch," that still makes plaster moldings and ornamentation the same as they have been doing it for over 80 years. They have a zillion old molds and they use horsehair and plaster. It's a family run company that will actually let you watch them work. When you walk in there, you step back in time. It's phenomenal.

o

Gorgeous. You did a wonderful job. I love the large windows.

o

To the OP: What color paint did you use for the walls? I re-read the whole post and didn't see this mentioned.
Still in love with your kitchen... it's kinda becoming my inspiration kitchen, hope you don't mind.... :)

o

WOW!!! Absolute perfection!! Magazine worthy!

o

Bump for paint question posted above.

o

whoops, hi deedles, sorry that I haven't checked the forum for a couple of days. I need to figure out how to get an email if someone asks a question!
We wanted a soft white that would go well with the wood cabinets, so we chose Sherwin Williams Cotton White #7104 Semi Gloss interior acrylic latex Super Paint.

o

A thoroughly modern kitchen with thoughtful design choices that pay homage to the grace, style and age of your beautiful home. Very much love what you've done to the place!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here