Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ship4u

small kitchen finally done! pics

ship4u
12 years ago

He everyone,

All of you have been very helpful to us for the past couple of years. We have followed along in countless discussions, and I apologize for not posting more.

Our kitchen is finally done, and I figured out how to post to photobucket. Hope it works. We are looking forward to your comments.

Comments (70)

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Very nice, now it is time to enjoy it.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

bore anyone? ha! I don't think so!

'Amish company, Graber Cabinets' - out by Leo? do you live in the area or were they shipped to you? I used to live close to there - over on 327 on Cedar Creek.
    Those Amish do awesome work. We had some build our addition - it was a work of art. They finished a month early (lucky for me cause I was due w/my youngest) and under budget! that was amazing itself. It wasn't the cabinet people but we had a lot of Amish in the area. Great workers!

I gotta go back and look some more. My first thought was 'lovely, just lovely!'

• jgopp
    12 years ago

Love your sink, looks great in the space.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

the Graber cab company i know is in IN, not OH.

where'd you get the register grate? LOVE IT!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

hope it's ok that I'm posting 2 more pics - much easier to see the counter top and other details -

• ship4u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments. So many of you have created fantastic kitchens with a lot of space to work with, we weren't sure how you'd take to a small one.

Hi leela4, When we were planning the floor, we wanted to do quarry tile that looked similar to the tiles in our front foyer. With some research, we discovered that, in fact, they were done by Moravian tile back in the days of Mercer. Thanks to the beauty of the internet, I found a craftsman who had worked at Moravian and we arranged to have them done in the same technique. The variation in clay tone is caused by the firing process, in which they sprinkle saw dust on the surface of the clay while it is being fired. This "smoking" effect is also still used in Europe.

laxsupermom, we spend a lot of time in the kitchen. We're not gourmet, but we enjoy cooking together. It was important that the room felt comfortable and was workable, but we wanted to keep it basic, in the style of the Arts and Crafts.

As you might guess, we love old world craftsmanship and we love the warmth of wood. We wanted to create a kitchen that looked, at first glance, that it could have been original to the house.

clarygrace, we are in one of the smaller homes in Shaker Heights:

• User
    12 years ago

What a sweet picture ! I was born in Findlay OH and lived in Deshler OH till I was 12. Went back 2 years ago for the first time since I left. Lots of things the same and a lot of differences too. Town used to have 4000.

Again, you have made a perfect kitchen to fit your lovely home. c

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

congratulations! you did a beautiful job and it fits your home perfectly! enjoy your lovelyl kitchen!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

That is a truly lovely kitchen! Don't know how much blood and tears went into that transformation, but it sure looks like a helluva lot of sweat and much love went into that final result! And, from what I can tell, it is so befitting your lovely house. Congratulations and enjoy!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Oh, your house looks so sweet (as do the two of you posed in front)!!!!

We GW TKO types love kitchens of all shapes and sizes! Yours is perfect. :-)

• dutchaccent
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, gorgeous home, lovely couple!! I wish you lots of happiness in your new kitchen. It's perfect!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Wow. You had me at the start with the warmth of the lovely wood countertops and tile floors...and then I scrolled down to see that incredible table and chairs! Swoon! What a perfect place to read a book and sip coffee...(and it would fit perfectly in my less-impressive small kitchen). ;)

And then you had to go and post a picture of the front...
    *GASP* Can we have a whole home tour someday?

• polie
    12 years ago

So nicely done and in keeping with your home.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

*sigh*

It's a storybook house.

I miss O-HI-O

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

To my eye you certainly accomplished your goal--your kitchen looks like it belongs in your home--absolutely. You obviously agonized over the details and it shows. It is a lovely, warm, and welcoming space. Love that you preserved the nook as a separate space but opened that wall--brilliant! You have certainly optimized the functionality of the space in such a charming way. Can't name a favorite feature--I love it all!!! Enjoy!

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Charming, refreshing, tasteful, wonderful and full of character. It's so nice to see that someone does not believe that ALL kitchens need granite to be WOW.

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! I love the cabinetry and all the details. You did an excellent job and I hope you enjoy this wonderful kitchen!

• sis2two
    12 years ago

It is just beautiful!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

What a wonderful home! I love the outside as well as your lovely new kitchen. You have great taste!

• keyton
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen and home! You did an amazing job!! I love all of your choices especially the wooden and SS counters and the tile floor..everything is just so perfect!!! I love it! Congratulations on a job well done!

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Your oak counters are just beautiful!

• carybk
    12 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. I love the thoughtful details and the materials and feel of the whole.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Looks perfect in your house

Are you happy with the Bosch range?

How did you treat the transition between the two countertop materials?

• library_girl
    12 years ago

I love you house and think you did a wonderful job of maintaining the charm of your house. I hope you keep your windows. I've lived for 20 years (in previous houses) with original windows such as yours. If necessary, have custom storms made to provide insulation. They're cheaper than replacements and replacement windows don't do the house justice. Shaker Heights is such a lovely area. I hope you enjoy your lovely home for many years.

• deedles
    12 years ago

I had to come back and take another look, such a lovely, lovely kitchen. If I squint at your pics, I just just make out what my burgundy-red cabs with wood counter tops would look like and I thank you for posting pics to help me see that the direction I want to go in could turn out so wonderfully! Love the feel of your kitchen...comfy and elegant.

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

It's so warm and inviting! Lovely kitchen.

• mom2sethc
    12 years ago

ship4u - love your gorgeous home and hello from a fellow Ohioan!

beekeeperswife - I live in Cuyahoga Falls!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm enjoying going back and re-reading the wonderful comments, over and over.

desertsteph, The actual name is "Cabinets by Graber," and their shop is in Grabill, Indiana (we're in Ohio, but it was no probelm for them). It's run by Abe Graber, and a lot of the craftsmen are family. They will come to your home, where ever you are, measure your space, and work with you directly to decide what works best with what you are trying to achieve. They send you drawings for you to make what ever changes you want, as many times as you want. Then, they bring them to your house. They will install for you, or work with your contractor. They made the whole job wonderfully pleasant, fun actually.

We did not tear out the walls, but they were okay with fitting the cabinets without adding extra molding between the cabinets and the wall. They actually scribed each cabinet to fit. We also had them fabricate custom crown molding to match the crown molding in the living room.

I was able to go back and recess the under cabinet lights and put them on a dimmer. It shows off the cloud lift bottom front of the upper cabinets. The dimmer works nicely when you just want a soft light when you leave the kitchen to sit in the living room.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We picked up the grate in the basement junk of an antique shop for $15. It had about 10 coats of paint concealing the beauty. I thought I was going to need to have it replated, but I was able to use it as it was. Just used your typical stripper in a pan, brushed it off and sprayed it with a can of clear coat.

• issalambert
    12 years ago

This is my very first post on this forum..what a beautiful "storybook cottage" but what struck me was the sweet photo of you two in front of your home..just lovely!

• deedles
    12 years ago

I don't understand what you mean by 'cloud lift?'

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen! Those windows are beautiful and the entire kitchen suits your lovely home. Great project and I am saving a few pictures to my file. Hope you don't mind :)

• hlove
    12 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen! So warm and fitting in your home...the dark wood cabinets, brackets, counters, flooring. And then the little details you added give it even more personality. Thanks so much for sharing and enjoy your beautiful new space!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Cloud Lift is the name of the shape of the rail on the very bottom of the upper cabinets.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Oh, my, I LOVE your kitchen and home!

I just had to post more pics of your kitchen in this thread

Pantry and built-in MW area

Love that you replicated the original Ogee brackets in your new kitchen.

Plaster cast lion's head (so cool!)

Greene & Greene style light - so period perfect.

Old grate for vent cover - what a great reuse. Reminds me of the floor grates at my grandparents' home.

Nook cabs with glass doors

• rosie
    12 years ago

Congrats, guys. Your kitchen strikes me as one of those where everything seems just right. People wanting a "timeless" look might see this and consider going for a look so appropriate to the building it's in that it seems "inevitable" instead. :) Happy cooking!

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

I love Tudors and yours is probably the coolest one I've ever seen!! That roof! Those windows! If I lived there I would stand outside all day long and stare at it. You did such a nice job with the kitchen. Great idea to knock down that wall, it's so open now. I LOVE your counter!! lovely job, enjoy your new kitchen! :o)

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

Beautiful! This is the kitchen your house was meant to have. Floor, countertop, and cabinets are individually and all together perfect.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Sandra

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Ooh, I'm so jealous of your storybook tudor. What a delightful house and the kitchen is perfect for it.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi deedles, sorry, I should have explained that the "cloud lift" design is an Arts & Crafts design used a lot in the Greene brothers architecture and furniture. It was borrowed from an asian design to add a light feeling, i.e. cloud lift.
    In the photo below, look at the piece of wood under the microwave. The cutout in the middle is the cloud lift. It's subtle. It's also in the ceiling light.

Hi palimpsest, we love the Bosch stove. We realized that stoves like the Viking were too much stove for us and we liked the way the Bosch seemed to offer the best of all worlds. The grates work nicely, it's a nice size, and the oven is electric convection. And, the price was right.

The transition between the soapstone and oak was a concern at the planning stage, but turned out to be no problem. The oak was installed first, before the soapstone fabricator came to do his job. The soapstone simply butts against the oak, but it is slightly lower than the oak, so it looks pretty natural of a transition.

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen, it is just so perfect! The details are beautiful and just flow together in such a graceful and warm way - thank you so much for sharing. The windows are especially fabulous.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I just love this kitchen. I want to hug it and squeeze it. I love what you've done with the small space and all the period touches. I have to say that my favorite thing of all are the plaster lions' heads. Even if it didn't fit my style kitchen I would have one of those!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi hellonasty, the first thing we did when we moved in was the landscaping......so we could sit outside and admire the house. We put in an antique granite cobblestone driveway, but that's a whole other story.......

• ship4u
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi linelle,
    There is an old company here in Cleveland, "Fischer & Jirouch," that still makes plaster moldings and ornamentation the same as they have been doing it for over 80 years. They have a zillion old molds and they use horsehair and plaster. It's a family run company that will actually let you watch them work. When you walk in there, you step back in time. It's phenomenal.

• allie814
    12 years ago

Gorgeous. You did a wonderful job. I love the large windows.

• deedles
    11 years ago

To the OP: What color paint did you use for the walls? I re-read the whole post and didn't see this mentioned.
    Still in love with your kitchen... it's kinda becoming my inspiration kitchen, hope you don't mind.... :)

• spayurdog
    11 years ago

WOW!!! Absolute perfection!! Magazine worthy!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Bump for paint question posted above.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

whoops, hi deedles, sorry that I haven't checked the forum for a couple of days. I need to figure out how to get an email if someone asks a question!
    We wanted a soft white that would go well with the wood cabinets, so we chose Sherwin Williams Cotton White #7104 Semi Gloss interior acrylic latex Super Paint.

• twoscoops
    11 years ago

A thoroughly modern kitchen with thoughtful design choices that pay homage to the grace, style and age of your beautiful home. Very much love what you've done to the place!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus