* touchtone
* designed for North America
* cordless
* works
* possibly retro styling
* preferably wall mounted
* not insanely expensive

This what I DON'T want -

Is this too hard? Pottery Barn used to make one, but now they only have the corded one, which isn't practical for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: retro? cordless landline phone that isn't ugly

If you can rig the electric supply, just put the handset and its charging unit inside a kitchen cabinet.

o

Looking for something myself. Let me know what you find!

o

Okmoreh - that's my plan B, but far less convenient. Also, units like shown above (what I have) take up a ridiculous amount of space.

o

The least horrifying option I've found:

Quality doesn't look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swissvoice Digital Cordless Telephone

o

Finding a decent looking wall-mounted phone is impossible these days. I was even willing to buy one that is corded, but everything out there is junk.

o

I think the swiss voice phone is inteded to be used as adjunct to your smartphone.

Not sure if it is still around but you might find the Orefon on eBay. It was made for a short time by Oregon Scientific. Bang & Olufson phones are sometimes on there too if you like that sort of thing.

o

I've seen the swiss phone referred to as a landline phone, so it should work?

Those two other phones are cool-looking, probably more futuristic than I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendations Zeitgast.

o

I've been waffling among phones for so long the one I already have is almost retro!

Here is a link that might be useful: phone assortment

o

They still make landline phones? Why?

o

edb2n- I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. I haven't had a landline for 14 years. My parents really held on to there's for a long time thinking it was necessary but they finally, about 4 years ago got rid of it and reclaimed that monthly cost.

o

Unfortunately, some of us still live in the land of no cell reception.

o

And we just built a house with a metal roof and some metal siding. Good luck getting your phone to ring inside there! (But maybe that could be a good thing. Using your phone will be like smoking-- you'll have to go outside, and thus at least be more aware of mindlessly indulging...)

o

I have to have a landline so I can have internet. We don't make any calls with it because they charge us long distance for every prefix that isn't ours. There might be 200 people who use my prefix! I can't even call 800 numbers or my own cell number. I am looking for a wall phone for my kitchen that doesn't take up much room. Free incoming calls! $110.00 a month for medium speed internet.

o

Peke- \(`o')/ 110.00 just for internet?!?! Eek, that's pricey.

I don't have the greatest cell phone reception where I live, outside of town in the country, but thankfully I have cable internet that I pay 50 a month for.

o

Crosley is the brand that makes cool retro phones. Here's my favorite wall phone on Amazon, but they have desk phones, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crosley retro phone

o

Oh - sorry. I just noticed you specified cordless. Hmm.

o

How about this? Also, I found the cordless Pottery Barn one on ebay, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool cordless phone

o

Cool circle phone, not quite the right look though.

Cell phones are expensive! My landline is cheaper, even with using a pay-as-you-go cell phone for convenience. I'm in a city in Canada. Also, my children don't have cell phones but I want it to be easy for them to make an emergency call. My older child is starting to be left alone for brief periods.

o

You are aware that a cordless phone won't work if the power goes out, right? (With kids at home, I'd probably still have a landline, and not a cordless one).

o

I'm interested in this thread, too. Our phone in the kitchen had become invisible to us until we began planning a remodel. Then we realized how ugly it looks jutting out of the wall. But the location is really convenient and I know it would be annoyingly impractical to hide it in a cabinet.

Much like the MW - homely, but needed and used often.

o

>You are aware that a cordless phone won't work if the power goes out, right?

Yes, but it's no big deal to keep an old corded phone in the closet for when that happens.

I agree with Feisty. Where I live cell reception is horrid,but even if it weren't landline+prepaid is still way cheaper. I pay about $50 a month for unlimited landline use and $100 a year for cellular.

o

I have 0 interest in getting rid of my landline. I tend to have phone conversations more than 10 minutes long, and I've never used a cell phone that I could use as comfortably for more than a couple of minutes. I can't tuck my cell phone under my chin so I can do laundry while I talk, for example.

o

>I have 0 interest in getting rid of my landline.

Likewise, but ATT is going to force me to do that if I move. At least in most places in FL, there's no option but the horrid U-verse when changing service now.

o

I have a panasonic cordless phone that works when the power goes out. I purchased it on Amazon. Panasonic KXTG7875S was the model number. Great phone all around.
Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic cordless phone with battery backup

o

We keep a landline for babysitters without cells (yes, I have a teenage babysitter who does not have a cell) and for the brief periods ds is left at home alone. Also we lived a mile from the pentagon on 9-11. Dh and I were separated for most of the day while I figured out how to get home from my office, six blocks from the Capitol, and he figured out whether he was supposed to stay at home as scheduled or report for duty. Throughout the day which phones were actually working switched back and forth as circuits were quite overloaded. My memories of that day reinforce my desire to keep a landline just in case.

Also,we have an awesome orginal phone niche that I need to fill. Thanks for starting this thread! I'll be checking out the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here