Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Cherry Cabs and Soapstone - Just a Dream??

kitchenredo2
15 years ago

I went to look at soapstone slabs on Friday and I really am taken with them. I originally thought I would want black, but these have quite a bit of veining and my DH, who didn't want soapstone at all, fell in love with the veined slabs! The question is, will they go with my cabinets (which of course are ordered and are due to arrive next week)?

I have cherry cabinets (slab front) with a toffee stain so they are on the dark side. My kitchen is very sunny - it has windows on the north wall and sliding glass doors on the east wall (about 9 feet of glass). I was originally looking at lighter counter tops (to contrast with the darker cabinets) but they became very washed out in that room (and the shiny granite became very reflective and I wasn't happy with how it looked).

The kitchen will be contemporary. I am planning on painting the kitchen a creamy white to allow the cabinets and the countertops to stand out. I will also have a black fireplace on the south wall, which I think will tie-in nicely with the counter tops. I have stainless steel appliances, brushed nickel faucets. I will use the pendant lights and other accessories add other colors to the space. The floors will be the existing hardwoods - I am planning on keeping them the same color, unless I have to change it to make the cabinets and the SS work better in the space...

Here are photos of the cabinet and the soapstone (why I didn't take a photo of the cabinet next to the SS is beyond me - I think I was more concerned with my 3 year old getting crushed by a slab...). And a photo of the black fireplace (for some reason I don't have a shot from the kitchen side). Do you think I can do this?

SS Photo #1

SS Photo #2

Fireplace

Comments (13)

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

I think that would look beautiful together and won't be too dark with all the sunlight and light walls. You could also go with a lighter backsplash, too.

Soapstone is seen a lot in traditional kitchens, but I think it can work well in a contemporary/modern kitchen. I really like mixing modern with more organic-feeling elements like soapstone.

• lululemon
    15 years ago

I think this is a stunning combination!

I wanted soapstone as well and would have done cherry cabs to go with them. In the end I went in a completely different direction (or rather I will if we ever actually finalized the layout and order something).

Anyway, I'm sure I have seen it in the finished kitchens blog before. Have you looked there for inspiration?

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

Take a look at nomorebluekitchen's beautiful kitchen in this thread. Not sure if her cabs are cherry, but they're a similar color with soapstone.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Hi,

My cabinets ARE cherry and the color looks very similar to yours. Obviously I think your combination works just great :)

Originally I wanted quiet black soapstone as well, but I ended up with dramatic veining which looks a lot like yours. I absolutely love it -- from a distance it still has that quiet organic look I love, but up close it has much more interest and depth for me because of the veining.

Here are a few more pics of my kitchen:

Island veining:
    {{gwi:1566039}}

A couple of overall views:
    {{!gwi}}

Anita

{{!gwi}}

• kitchenredo2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. I think it will work.

I am suffering from "kitchen overload (the evil twin of TKO) and I am beginning to forget what I've seen where and over-thinking/doubting some of my decisions.

mom2reese and lululemom -- Thank you for your enthusiasm! The last thing I want to happen is to get the countertop installed and think - yikes - I don't like how this looks!

nomorebluekitchen- I had thought I had seen a kitchen with darker cabinets and soapstone countertops, I just couldn't remember which kitchen it was -- I really liked the combination. I am so glad to hear that you love your kitchen - it is beautiful!

I am looking forward to having all these decisions behind me. Now I just have to worry about a back splash and cabinet hardware - how hard can that be ;).

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

Kitchenredo2 - do you know the name of your soapstone? It's beautiful - I'm looking for something like it.

Nomoreblue kitchen - same question for you.

I wish the forum had a thread with a picture from every kitchen with soapstone with the name of the soapstone (and maybe even where they got it?)

Lynne

• prill
    14 years ago

I also have very veined soapstone with cherry cabinets. It works great. Prill

Here is a link that might be useful: http://prillskitchen.shutterfly.com/32#33

• rjr220
    14 years ago

What gorgeous soapstone! Do a search for Holligator's kitchen: she has natural cherry cabs that have matured: not quite as dark as's Anita's, but just as lovely! My husband and I got to see Holli's kitchen IRL, and he is now totally in love with Soapstone. Love the way the color works with the stone.
    Anita -- what is your backsplash? understated, but it's what is perfect for the beautiful cabs.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

I love it! I think it will work quite well with the other elements you are using.

I have been looking for soapstone like that for my kitchen, but haven't found any locally yet with such nice veining.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Ohhh, Kitchenredo2, I love it.
    I think it is going to be a stunning kitchen
    with that beautiful slab you have chosen.
    I think much nicer than the nordic black
    you were thinking of.

~boxerpups

• swickbb
    14 years ago

I was going to ask the same question of the Cherry cabs with the soapstone but here it is. I think it looks great and looking at the others that have posted their pics I like it even more. That veining in the piece is really nice. Not too busy but enough to not to be boring either. Good choice!

• kitchenredo2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks - I really love how the cabinets look with the soapstone. Now if I can just keep the slab that's on my raised countertop from falling onto the floor I will be just peachy!

I don't have any recent pictures showing the soapstone on the cabinets. They had to remove a tile from the backsplash behind the cook top b/c it was put in upside-down. So as soon as that is done I will have to take some more photos. Here are some photos of the soapstone installed:

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

Name or type of soapstone? It sort of looks like it could be Julia.