Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Strange brutalist kitchen.

palimpsest
11 years ago

Modernism in the wrong hands can be particularly dangerous (perhaps literally).

This house (currently up for rent) is attributed to "a student of Louis I Kahn". (Kahn I admire)

Versus:
Kahn's Esherick House kitchen:

Comments (15)

• DCkitchen13
    11 years ago

I might consider that design if it had a little gate so I could close myself off completely from my children. "Sorry, kids! Mommy's cooking!"

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Brutalist is how I would describe my hips after passing through the 'key hole' a few dozen times a day.

Admittedly, I'm a fan of vintage/cottage, but this looks like Louis I. Kahn meets Restore salvage.

I love the Esherick House kitchen--according to Old House Dreams/Zillow the house is still for sale, reduced in price by $400,000.

*Edited to correct blog title.

This post was edited by mama_goose on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 14:47

• Fori
    11 years ago

Hmm. That would be awesome in the back of a remodeled Airstream, minus the cinderblock. If that's really all the space the designer had to work with, um, well, kudos to him for finding a way to get a dishwasher in?

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I could live with the keyhole (theoretically; in practice, I think my hips are too wide for that to be at all comfortable), the cinder block, and the exposed DW. But the dangling microwave cord over the range controls would drive me absolutely batty.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Is this what they mean by "step-saving kitchen"?

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

If I had a tiny house and it was just me cooking, I could conceptually enjoy a circular work area where everything I needed was at hand and functional. That however, looks like the "student" deserved an 'F'. The placement of the appliances, the dangling cord, etc scream complete failure to me.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I see a murder mystery here. Forensic pathologist and fan of Brutalism testifies victim's hips show signs of food prep in kitchen designed by amateur Brutalism fan.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I'd love it on the boat!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bathroom in the first house, the one with the circular kitchen, has a vanity like this but it has a curving front. I don't know if this kitchen originally had a curved plywood front to fill in all the gaps between the appliances that was removed or what. All the nooks and crannies under the counter would drive me crazy, I think.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the bath. The kitchen must have had a curved piece on the front originally rather than leaving all that open space underneath.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I imagine a giant lazy susan on the floor and with some practiced moves you could access the whole kitchen without ever having to really move your feet.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the round command central concept is not bad for a small one-person kitchen It should just be bigger for clearance's sake.

I saw a small kitchen once where the DW actually opened on the opposite side of a peninsula from the sink (the back of the DW was next to the sink the door opened outside the work triangle)--you could load from the back of the sink into the DW. It was unconventional but it worked.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

Do I actually SEE the garbage disposal sticking out under the sink? Even if we could ignore the size of this -- can we call it a kitchen? -- that would be a no-go for me.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You see Everything. the side and back of the oven, the sides and top of the DW, blocks of wood supporting the countertop...its all raw and exposed. That's why I wonder if there was at least a curved facade originally that either disintegrated or was removed.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I think I like the bathroom though of course I don't know what it's like in person. THAT belongs in the ad. The kitchen probably doesn't.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County