Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Custom drawer insert - am I crazy?

sue_ct
16 years ago

I lost some drawer space in my kitchen when I remodeled but I now have one drawer that is larger/wider than I have ever had before. It is 19" wide and is where I plan to keep my flatware. But it is much larger than I need for just that and it would solve a lot of messy storage problems and keep items in a crock near the stove to a minimum, if I could keep a lot of other items in the same drawer. I looked for weeks on the internet for an appropriate drawer inert but couldn't seem to find what I needed. So I measured some of the other things I would like to keep in there, like a space for measuring spoons, another one for brushes, one for spatulas, a small area for wine stoppers and other small items, the list goes on. I measured out the space I need for flatware and divided the rest into spaces for items less than 6" long, those 6", 8", 12" and 14" long, and a small area for those tiny things. I submitted it to a place that makes custom acrylic inserts for a price quote. The quote is 170.00!!!

That seems outrageous for a plastic/acrylic drawer insert. On the other had it would keep a lot of things organized and hopefully make the best use of the space in that large drawer.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Am I crazy for even considering it? What do you think of the price, am I just being cheap?

Sue

Comments (40)

• nomorebluekitchen
    16 years ago

I don't know if this would help, but here is a photo of a wire mesh one I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond which is adjustable width and has lots of nice sized cubbies. I have it in a 17" drawer. I don't remember the price but if I bought it, it couldn't have been more than $25.

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Anita, but I need something that will hold all my flatware as well. I figured I need 7 dividers just for that - 2 for forks, 3 for spoons of different sizes and 2 for knives, plus all of the stuff you have in your drawer. This is the divider with measurements I sent to them:

This is the divider I am considering having customized so it will fit longer and shorter items than the standard design would, as well as making it deeper and with narrower spaces for the flatware items that don't need so much space. Any organizer that would fit the space well and have spaces for the flatware AND additional spaces for other items would probably due. I don't expect to be able to get my exact design and measurements without going custom. I just don't want a divider sliding around in the drawer, or have the other stuff floating around in there next to a smaller flatware organizer like the ones made for smaller drawers. I would also consider some other custom insert that might be able to be made more inexpensively. I would be thrilled if I could find something suitable for 25.00. But I would even be happy if I could find something closer to the 75.00-100.00 range than 170.00 (which would actually be over 180.00 when taxes were added). Good grief.

Here is a link that might be useful: acrylic flatware organizer

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

I showed my dh your drawing and he could make one out of plywood for you within your budget. However you'd have to adjust your measurements to account for the 1/4" width of the plywood. Also when the dividers all match up horizontally you will need thicker plywood then if you stagger them somewhat.

Here's the very first drawer he made for us. He didn't consult me first or ask what we'd be keeping in there. He wanted to surprise me. So far I have plans for the others but am still working on refining them.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Certainly not crazy if you can have it done for a price you like.

But you can probably get all the functionality and 90% of the aesthetic using a combination of off-the-shelf parts. If you have Blum tandem drawers, you might want to check out Ikea's Rationell dividers...

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a nice offer! That looks nice, and your lucky to have a thoughtful husband. The advantage to the acrylic, of coarse, is that it can be put in the dishwasher. I may take him up on it, though. Actually, the 1/4" is already accounted for, since the acrylic is 1/4" thick, also. This is how I figured it out, based on the instructions in the custom design area of the website. Drawer is 18" deep, subtract 1/8" to get outer dimensions of insert = 17 7/8. Subtract 1/4" for front and 1/4" for back, and 1/4 for each middle divider = 17 1/8 space left for each area, divide that in half and each space will be 8 9/16" long. Your husband can check my figures. The ones with more dividers required subtracting an additional 1/4 for each. I could stagger them a little. Teaspoons are a little shorter than tablespoons, which are shorter than ice tea spoons, for example, so I would just have to get a little more specific about which items will go where. Could he do it with the dividers the full height of the insert?

I would love to get an actual price from him, as well as how long it might take. I could see if I can find prices locally, too, for similar custom work, but I am afraid no one would be interested in such a small job. I do know that some local places that teach decorative painting used to have people who make custom pieces for classes and I could see if they could give me any names.

Duh, I just thought of something. My brother works in a machine shop and he sets up custom jobs for the shop to do. I don't know how often he runs the machines, but I do know he programs the machines, sets them up for production, etc. I think it is mostly metal work, but I should ask him, also. He made the family all nice large plastic bowls years ago that we all used for years. I think he used to be able to do something like that sometimes when he was first setting up and testing out a machine.

Sue

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oruboris, thanks, I don't have blum tandum drawers, although they make dividers that would be perfect if I did.

Sue

• coolbeansw
    16 years ago

Hi Sue

My two cents: it's wonderful to have perfectly fitted inserts in your cutlery drawers, but that's a lot of money for lucite! (Plus, I have some off-the-shelf lucite dividers in my bathroom and find them hard to keep looking nice.)

My kitchen utensil drawers are 22" wide and 24" deep -- there are two drawers side-by-side. I got perfectly fitted inserts from the cabinet manufacturer (Leicht) for $90 per drawer in a semi-transparent, modern plastic that allowed me to vary the design of the sections to suit my needs. The plastic parts are "locked" into the configuration I chose with alumninum fittings.

Anyway, I think you can get a much better value for your money than your original lucite proposal. Good luck!

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

I think there are a lot of systems that allow you to make customized partitions. I saw one kind, in thin plastic, at the Container Store. The strips can be cut, and there are sticky connectors.

And I know Lee Valley sells small metal brackets that fit 1/4" panels. You have to supply the panels yourself and cut them as you wish. But then everything snaps together.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

I think any good woodworker could create a divider like that to your specifications. What they would charge, I don't know. I think it's a great idea though.

• elizpiz
    16 years ago

Sue, the other thing to consider with making a custom piece is the "ebb and flow" of your utensils. Over the years, I've accumulated and tossed out a number of items that were not necessarily standard sizes (with the exception of your flatware). You may be better served by some of the more inexpensive suggestions above.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I actually agree, thats why I had a hard time with that price. I did find when I measured items that a wide variety of things fell into certain size categories, like 4-6", 8", 12" and 14". I could also order one of the already configured acrylic ones in the exact size of my drawer, just customized to drawer size for 139.00, but it had all 8-9" long sections and no longer ones, so it was really just for flatware. I still think that is a huge amount of money for it, so you are preaching to the choir here.

I really like loves2cook4six's and I am hoping either her husband would really do one for me or I can find someone local who would. It would look nice and hopefully be significantly more economical.

I spoke to my brother, and he could do something for me if I could find a block of machinable material 3-3 1/2 inches thick, like plastic or wood. The only difference would be that their machines would leave a small radius in the corners instead of a sharp 90 degree corner. He also explained the time that goes into sitting down and planning a custom item like that and setting the machine up, etc., and that over 100.00 sounded right (I didn't tell him how much over. Just in case I ended up getting it, I didn't want it to become a "hey can I see that drawer thingy I heard you paid so much for" family thing. Is that only my family?) Anyway, anyone know where I can get that type of material?

Loves2cook4six, so far you seem like my brightest hope. Has your husband considered a paying hobby making custom interts
    for the forum members? Sounds like there is a demand. I want my place firmly established at the front of the the line, though. :)
    Sue

• kompy
    16 years ago

I drew up a similar drawing for my DH. He made these for me. I love them. Click on the image to enlarge. I'm a KD and I have thought about having him make these for my customers per their specs. He told me once he'd charge about $65 per drawer. But I have never gotten around to having him make me a display model. Maybe someday.

If you know anyone who is handy, have them make it for you. My DH is fairly handy, but not a craftsman type at all.

Kompy

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those are wonderful, Kompy. What are they made out of? They don't look like plywood, but I assume balsa would be too light. I need someone with the tools to do it, also.

Sue

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

Sue

My dh sent you an email off the boards. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

• nuccia
    16 years ago

Have you checked rev-a-shelf's 4WUT series of customizable drawer organizers? They are a bit oversized in order to be trimmed to your exact drawer size. You can even combine two units within one drawer. I'm planning on doing this for my extra wide drawers.

I was at Ikea recently and bought some really nice thick, acrylic trays that I am using in some drawers. They cost $6-8 each. They are not in the catalog, but in the store in the kitchen cabinet accessories area. If you have an Ikea near you, you might go check it out.

The link below is a starting point--you may need to do some more digging to find the area that talks about combining units.

Here is a link that might be useful: rev-a-shelf

• antss
    16 years ago

I have a few points and ??? to add.

Sue, why do you think $170 is out of line? Because it's made form plastic?

Remember plastic is made from oil, have you seen the price of that lately? You also want something "custom" , when have you ever heard of something tailored made in America no less on the cheap?

You want to pay 25 bucks? RTOFL, few people with any kind of skill or talent work for $25 an hour. That project will easily take an hour to do, are the materials going to be donated?

Cannot blame you for wanting a "deal" and trying to look for one. You'll earn part of you discount in the amt.of your time you spend finding the lower cost solution. Many people find retired or hobbiest woodworkers (or their spouses) to make projects like this for short $$$. These folks are basically givng away their time or at the very best undercharging for it. They often kick in materials for no or less than cost because of their ego or ignorance.

Kompy - I think your husband may fall into this catagory, and I'll bet your hourly rate is north of 65 and hour? My guess on the wood species is Aspen or Basswood. Could be Maple if those pics were taken just after fabrication.

People need to remember that while these folks exsist and you can score a "deal" for yourself, they are not representative of the general marketplace or its costs.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, Antss, I believe I did say above that I understand the time it takes to set up a machine, etc. to make something like that. I happen to think the cost of oil right now is outrageous, too. So shoot me. And by the way, I am a nurse and yes, my hourly rate is less than half of 65.00/hr, and at times peoples lives depend on me. So go figure. I also believe you took my statement about 25.00 out of context. I was responding to nomorebluekitchen, who did find an insert that met her needs for 25.00, and yes, as I said, I would be thrilled to find one pre-made that met my needs for the same price. I never said I expected to find a lucite one custom made for that.
    I asked if I was crazy because I was actually considering paying the price despite the fact that I think it is very high.
    I always do like a "deal". But I think 100.00 for a plastic insert would still be a fair price an NOT a "deal". If you can purchase one anywhere for cosmetics, vanity and bathroom supplies premade for 10-20.00 the supplies are probably not THAT expensive. The time and labor to make it in a custom size is mostly what I am paying for. And yes, I think expecting to be paid 150.00/hr making plastic inserts is expecting a lot, and that is the approx. time my brother who has set up similar jobs, thinks it would take to do. Since they mass produce premade inserts also, and already have the machines set up and just need to adjust the measurements, probably less. That is not setting up a machine from scratch like you are making a product like this for the first time.
    There actually ARE a lot of people out there trying to live AND renovate their kitchens who make well "north of 65.00/hr"

Sue

• antss
    16 years ago

Sue the ones you get at target and BB@B are made off shore and are a usaually bit thinner guage acrylic. You're also not paying 150 an hour - that's my point - the materials are a lot more than you think. American co.'s overhead is a lot more than the pennies and hour labor poo of the Pacific Rim, advertising costs money, websites cost money, ect.... Stopping a set production line to rework for your one custom piece costs extra too, you look at it as it's just a few minutes and a few adjustments, but it's not. It's much the same reason that the Steri-strip at your hospital costs $7. Why is it so much when a bandaid will do the samething and I can get 200 for $1.99 at wallyworld?

Yes, I think It's worth close to 200 buck for a totally custom piece of work. I also think if you want to spend some time and gas $$$ you can get a similar solution for less than half of that. Those don't usually present themselves because then low cost doesn't allow for websites, fancy mag ads, and cache that webposters swoon over and remember.

Not to be snitty but you may want to switch employers. They are taking advantage of you bigtime. My niece graduated nursing school turn of the century and was offerd 28/hr out of the gate. Critical care nurses with experience where lives are often at stake make a lot more around here.

• kompy
    16 years ago

Kompy again. They're made of poplar. I can't recall the thickness exactly.

• inmydreams
    16 years ago

My drawer dividers aren't complete, but I copied what Lois418 did and bought brackets from Lee Valley Hardware and then 1/4" dividers from Lowes. Inexpensive and totally customizable. Lois418 is on the finished kitchen blog but here's a link to her pics.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• inmydreams
    16 years ago

Here's the link to Lee Valley - great site!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley hardware for drawer dividers

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

inmydreams,

you found 1/4" material of a suitable width so you only had to cut to length? At Lowes? What department, and what was it "called"? Is it something special for the purpose? Or is is molding?

• borngrace
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the link to Lee Valley Hardware -- I am totally going to do that for my junky drawers.

• inmydreams
    16 years ago

paul_ma - I found them in the molding section, but they really aren't moldings. The two sizes I bought are 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 inches deep for my shallow and deep drawers. They are 24 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. One of the pieces says "Tom's quality millwork" and Aspen - so I guess that's the type of wood (?). I'm planning on using a hand saw to cut to length and I figure if I need to change the layout someday, the cost is small to redo. HTH.

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

Paul_ma,

In my local Lowes, they have boards exactly as inmydreams describes. They are 1/4" thick and 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 or 5 1/2 inches wide, and either 24 or 48 inches long. They have red oak, poplar or aspen. I decided to get the poplar, because I think the oak would be too porous and the aspen would be too soft.

I haven't yet got around to making the drawer dividers, so no pictures yet.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I started out with the plastic customizable dividers from the Container store. They were fine for a while but didn't really hold up well over time.

I'm currently in the process of redoing all my drawers with the Lee Valley dividers. I bought the right sized wood at Lowes, and a jig saw which I use to cut the wood down to the right length.

I'm not much of a DIYer so this is a lot for me to actually do myself, but I have to say, I LOVE how the wood dividers work out. They are so much nicer than the plastic ones, and they stay put with no sliding around. I stained the wood to match the inside of the cabs as close as possible and they look great.

I have one more drawer to do in the kitchen, then I attack the drawers in my utility room where I keep tools & such.

I think $170 is a lot to spend on something like this, but on the other hand, it's worth what it's worth to you. For me, it was important to have the ability to change things later if needed, at a minimal cost. So if I decide that a new configuration would work better at some point in the future, I can buy more wood & redo things at a low cost. Once you pay for that drawer divider, you're sorta married to that configuration.

Those Container store dividers were not great, but they did allow me to live with what I thought I wanted for a while, giving me a better handle on knowing what I really wanted. I changed around the plastic dividers a few times before making it "permanent" with the wood. And as I said, it still isn't totally permanent, I can always change it later.

One thing that did concern me was the idea of pounding those brackets directly into the wood of the drawer. So instead I cut additional pieces of wood to line the perimiter of the drawer so that no damage was done to the drawer itself. This way, the whole thing can actually be removed from the drawer and you'll go back to a good-as-new empty drawer if needed.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I can't believe nobody linked to those cool brass gadgets you can use to make your OWN custom drawer dividers.
    From Lee Valley

You can cut your own 1/4" wood, or buy precut strips from hobby shops; shops w/ a deep inventory will have 1/4"-thick wood strips in walnut, mahogany, cherry, and plywood. You might need to get the right sort of saw (X-acto makes one) to cut it with.

Binning strips like these can be used to make ultra-adjustable setups. (the company that sells these also sells the 1/4"-thick wood dividers in baltic birch, which I'm assuming is a plywood)

• mooring_girl
    16 years ago

Have you looked into a two-tier system? The bottom part is the width of the drawer. The top part is about half the width and slides across the bottom half.

I have one very wide drawer with two of these things. Each is 12in wide. The top tier has 4 compartments, and the bottom tier has 5 compartments.

Also, have you gone shopping at a craft store? You should find a lot of options.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Oh, I take it back, I see now that people did put the links in.

(sorry, Paul, inmydreams, and lowspark)

And I second the idea of the two-tier system (remember that you don't have to have the entire drawer the same height, or even the same solution. You could put a premade plastic double-decker tray on one side, and the wooden slats on the other)

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

Sue

My dh sent you an email off the boards. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone, I am ordering the Lee valley hardware. I will look for different types of wood I can use, but I agree with lowspark, I had already thought of that and decided to line my drawer as she described, also. This thread has a lot of great ideas and information, I hope it sticks around for a while. Obviously a lot of people with similar issues.

I had looked at the double decker types and like them but they just don't come with as many dividers as I want. All the dividers will keep things neat, but many allot much more space than I need for each item and so do take full advantage of the space. I really don't need a space 3" wide by 3" high, for instance, just for salad forks or dinner forks. When I measured my flatware, stacking it up only required 1 1/16" wide and 2" high for 12 forks. Service for 18 could be stacked in the same space that is 3" high. I allowed more space for wider tablespoons and teaspoons that I usually have more of. I still had half the dawer left to put other items, which pre-made organizers did not, since they used up so much more space for the flatware.

Anyway, most organizers keep stuff organized but do not really maximize use of the space. So the Lee Valley made allow me to do that at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, I may still decide to go custom in the future.

Its kind of like stock verses custom cabinets. Custom, if well planned and well done, gets you much better use of your space. I couldn't afford the cabinets, but it might be worth some less expensive customization of the stock cabinets to maximize what I did get.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. Please feel free to post what you guys do in your drawers and I will let you know how mine work out.

Sue

• paul_ma
    15 years ago

If you are going to line the drawer anyway to avoid marring the sides, it might make more sense to use the binning strips, that talley_sue_nyc mentioned, on the perimeter of the drawer, and then use the Lee Valley brackets where horizontal and vertical partitions meet within the drawer. (Unless the binning strips are too tacky looking. I'm assuming they are thin molded polystyrene or something like that.)

(Just thinking out loud. I'm still deciding what to do with my drawers.)

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I don't know if somebody already suggested this (I don't have time to re-read all the posts) but I was remembering this product when I first read your post but couldn't remember where I saw it. The container store sells little organizers where you can customize your own drawer. Pick all the different sizes you need. They have acrylic in regular and deep drawers and they also sell the wire mesh type.

Here is a link that might be useful: container store

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

One thing to think of, as you plan your little sections:

You need room to get your fingers inside. too narrow and tall may make access too hard.

Also: I have the top tray from that double-decker system that I use to put over the utensils that don't stack, because I want to be able to access them.

and, I have one drawer that has some compartments, and then a whole section with NO compartments, because I can fit more in there if they nest among each other, and I don't use them often enough to mind having them tangle.

So be open to that idea, too--that some things you'll want corralled,a nd some things you'll want floating free in a wide space.

In my nightstand drawer, I have ONLY compartments, and the compartments limit what I can put in there. I fit much less in, because there's lots of wasted space inside each compartment.

in that instance, i like it--nothing moves around, and I don't allow myself to cram in stuff that will just end up being in the way.

in the kitchen, I *like* having a section that's freeform and crrammable.

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

here's a clear acrylic "binning strip" setup

Here's another acrylic version, this from the folks who make the NeverMT (CustomInserts)

another adjustable acrylic one; might be somewhere in the middle

and their binning strip solution

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Talley Sue, the acrylic version from CustomInserts is the one I was going to get. It is 139.00 in my draswer size and 170.00 if I want them to customize the spaces inside for me to my specifications. The binning strips I saw but they don't allow for adding dividers in the opposite direction to the ones shown and I want both.

I have a drawer on each side of the stove that are smaller for free-floating and odd sized items.

The Lee Valley will be repositionable in the future. I saw the ones from the container store and seriously considered them, but they don't come as narrow as I would like or in as many lengths as I would like. I would still consider them, however. I just don't want them loose enough in the drawer to be sliding around.

Sue

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

Sue: I used the double-stick foam squares (poster tape, or poster squares) to anchor my Rubbermaid drawer dividers.

Good luck figuring out what you want to do. I think drawer dividers are the fun part!

(and I love the Lee Valley dividers)

• brown_thumb_greening
    15 years ago

I just had to jump in here and comment - even though this conversation is a bit old. There are lots of great ideas and products in this post. And I had to share the neat organizers stumbled upon.

I saw these organizers mentioned at epicurious, did some googling, and found orderlydrawer.com. These are the first all-wood, adjustable organizers I've seen. I got one of the customs for myself recently, and really love it. My drawer is not only orderly, it's just beautiful.

The prices are based on drawer size and are really reasonable compared to the custom acrylic ones.

This is a picture from their website.

{{!gwi}}

• gary3100
    14 years ago

I CAN MAKE U A CUSTOM DOUBLE DECKER DRAWER FOR YOUR FLATWARE & OTHER UTINSELS. IT IS MADE OF SOFT MAPLE VERY NICE. THE BAD NEWS IS THE COST IS 160.00..... BUT IT IS NOT PLASTIC..... EMAIL IF INTERESTED