Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle16_gw

KATIEOB-and others with stacked cabs-is it actually 2 cab?

michelle16
12 years ago

Does anyone know, if I want the look of Katie0b's stacked inset cab, is it one whole cab with two seperate doors, or two cabinet boxes? i also want the look she has on the side with the panels built into the box-wish i could post a pix of her's, but i don't know how, iv'e tried!!! Thx in advance!! Michelle

Comments (10)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    My stacked cabinets are both. I divided a couple of 42" cabinets, creating a 30 + 12, with both doors. Then, on the other side of the room, I stacked 12"ers on top of 30"ers. Same look.

I love 'em.

• User
    12 years ago

Most of the time with tall stacked cabinets, it HAS to be stacked, as it's difficult to produce extra tall cabinets without them warping in some way. The "medium tall" cabinets from 42"-54" you can sometimes find as a single cabinet with two doors, but most cabinet makers who produce such items tend to want you to sign a waiver about the possibility of them warping down the road.

A painted, stacked, inset, and with integral door side panels will be just about the most expensive cabinet choice you can make for your kitchen. That's easily 40K worth of cabinetry without even trying hard for a lot of it. If budget is a concern, you might want to start whittling on some of these choices.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Pic of Katieob's kit:

• michelle16
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks guys!thx angie for the pix! I got my quote already for stacked to the ceiling, I don't have alot of uppers, I will ask him on wed. how he was configuring it, i want it to look like katie's-does anyone know if her's is 1 frame with 2 doors, or two seperate cab. boxes?

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Where can we see more pics of katies kitchen. Search did not help me.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Red: by googling "site:gardenweb.com katieob finished kitchen" I found the thread linked below. Unfortunately, most of the picture links are broken, but her PB album is visible here:

http://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr93/katieob15/

Here is a link that might be useful: KatieOB kitchen

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

Michelle: looking at Katie's picture, I'm sure it's one unit. Notice the end panel is one piece, and the rails (stiles) around the doors are one piece. They are beautiful, and I'd bet they are high end custom.

This is a pic of the kitchen in our old house which we renovated in 2001. We had custom QS oak cabinets made, and the uppers were all one piece...about 56" in height, if I remember correctly. Picture taken during construction before backsplash and before the brick was installed on wall to right. The hutch unit on the right is also one piece. I'm not sure many of the stock cabinets can be made this way; perhaps some of the high end ones can.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Michelle if you make them all in one piece, I am sure Dutch Wood can do a great job for you in making them look like two pieces. We have a "fake" two piece drawer in our master bath that you would never in 100 years be able to tell is not a double drawer. It is inset.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I think those are one box with 2 doors. The stability of the door is usually the issue when going with one box and the look of 2 doors. Actually having two doors shouldn't be a problem at all. I have stacked that are actually 2 cabinets. There is a trim piece where they join and Katie's don't have that or a seam. My lowers are 42", so I had to do 2 doors. Never thought of doing one box with 2 doors at the time, but that's okay. I like them as they are.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your time and responses.I would rather have the box all one like Katie's with no seams and then 2 sepearate doors, I just wasn't sure if one tall box could be done, people here talked about warping. I will check with the cabinetmaker on how he usually does it, hopefully he can mimic Katie's and there are no issues with warping,etc. Thanks again Angie for those pix's, I really appreciate your time,tks, Michelle