Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

dutch oven use it like an oven?

PoorOwner
14 years ago

Please educate me about cast iron dutch ovens and stove top use?

I was wondering if I can put meat in it with minimal liquids, medium heat, close the lid would that have similar result as using a real oven?

or, can I put frozen chicken strips / fish sticks in it and pretend it is a toaster oven to reheat it?

I think it is doable with the non-enameled wares, as long as you don't crank the stove on max and walk away. But what about the enameled wares like Le Creuset, I don't want to burn them up.

Comments (21)

• Fori
    14 years ago

Yes to the first, not sure about the second.

You simply MUST inquire at the cooking forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: ask here!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>an I put frozen chicken strips / fish sticks in it and pretend it is a toaster oven to reheat it?

No to that one. It will be like steaming them to reheat them, since the liguid which turns to steam will be trapped in the pot with them.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I think, that unlike using an oven, it will hold in moisture for cooking tougher meats?

I actually use mine for thick soups and stews more than traditional Dutch oven meat cooking. I wonder if I'm supposed to be using a stock pot instead. I need a bigger vessel for the hearty soups and stews, but am not sure which to buy. There is a cookware forum, too.

• glenster_jr
    14 years ago

Don't know. I've only used them on wood fires. They are designed to be submerged in coals and ashes without same getting inside.

• Fori
    14 years ago

They're really good for braising, which is kind of what your first idea is.

I use mine for all kinds of things, usually without the lid. It is really great for candy, but I'm trying not to do that too much. Induction gets so delightfully low, it's perfect for candy as well as long slow simmers.

But this is exactly what your enamelware is meant for. Use that Le Creuset and you'll be pleased.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like RHome... I am kind of wondering the difference using cast-iron to make soup as opposed to a 8 qt SS stock pot? It is because the cast iron holds heat up the sides better so it can simmer better.. or something like that..

It's just very heavy when it's filled full of liquids though.

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

I use mine for braising, either in the oven or on the stovetop. Slow cooked, stick to your bones meals.

• melanie1422
    14 years ago

I use mine for everything. I have baked things like chicken fingers in them - but in the oven with the top off (so basically, using it like a pan with very high sides). I'm not sure what would happen on the stove top.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I make chicken in mine - 4 chicken leg quarters, potatoes, carrots, and 1 cup of broth. After browning the chicken I throw everything else in, bring to a boil, turn it down to simmer for another 30 minutes or so and it's falling off the bone, but lots of broth I make into gravy,you might want less than a cup. And mine's not even cast iron. Might cook faster in cast iron, but I don't think it would burn if you turned it down to low simmer.

• chefkev
    14 years ago

Braising is where the dutch oven really gives an advantage because it cooks so evenly. You can use either a stock pot or a dutch oven for soups and stews. Stock pots (unless they are really, really heavy expensive ones) don't typically have heavier bottoms and rarely have heavier sides. So while either will work, I prefer the stock pot for lighter or broth based soups/stews because it's generally lighter and may hold more. I prefer the dutch oven for heartier soups/stews because the thicker the liquid is, the more likely it is to burn on the bottom or the sides near the bottom; it's like a little cooking insurance policy - also, you can get away with stirring a little less. Happy cooking.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Thanks, ChefKev...To the rescue, as many times before.

Not to hijack your thread, Poorowner, but ChefKev, do you think a cast iron dutch oven will be better for the hearty soups than a tri-ply pot? My biggest pot, currently, is an 8 qt stainless with the disk bottom, so things, of course, now that I cook with gas, want to burn on the sides. I am in love with the 13.25 qt Le Creuset, but a similarly sized, or larger, tri-ply stock pot would be less expensive and less weight. I thought having equal thickness on bottom and sides might help...Enough or not? Having the best results is what's most important.

thanks

• plllog
    14 years ago

Aha! Chefkev, thank-you for explaining why I do things that way. I didn't know!

BTW, for hearty soups in small batches, I love my Le Creuset soup pot. It has rounded sides, rather like a flat bottomed wok. Don't know what makes it work so well, either, but I love it.

Poorowner, are you talking about using them on the cooktop, or using them in your makeshift during remodel (I can never remember what stage people are in)? The enamel doesn't change the cast iron cooking much. The main differences are season vs. slick for non-sticking, and wreck the bond of the enamel vs. cracking for overheating (though enamelled probably also crack, but I think the enamel pops before then).

I'm not a fish stick/chicken strip maker. I'd think they'd be better in the oven on a grill pan so they don't get soggy on the bottom. Equally, a grill pan might be better on the stove. But if you want to fake fry them in your dutch oven you should be able to; Spray or brush the pan with a little oil, and heat either uncovered, or with the top askew to let the steam out, turn once. The results will be soggier than toasting them in the oven, but it should work if you have limited options. You could also real fry them with more oil in the bottom.

• kitchenredo2
    14 years ago

I use mine to cook soups, stews and chili and to slow roast chicken. I also use it to bake bread - this is the first thing my DH has requested I make when we are back in the new kitchen and no longer cooking in the laundry room.

• chefkev
    14 years ago

rhome410 - Wow! I didn't even know Le Creuset made a 13.25 qt pot. Here's the thing - it's going to be so heavy when filled that even I would shy away from using it. And then there's the expense. For that kind of money, you would be better off with the All-Clad Stainless 12-Quart Stock Pot ($326.88 on Amazon). It gets top marks from Cooks Illustrated in part because "The aluminum core runs up the side of the pot".

Since I personally won't be spending over $300 on a stock pot any time soon, I have a couple of other recommendations:
    1. I'm not aware of another stock pot like All-Clad that go all the way up the sides, but Cooks Illustrated next highest rated is the Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 12-Quart Stock Pot which gets very high marks, is ever so much more manageable than the Le Creuset and only costs around $60. Because it has a wide base, it will help a little with the bottom sides not burning, but you're still going to have to watch them carefully.
    2. For heavier braising and thick soups/stews, for myself, I bought the the Mario Batali Braiser Oval 9 Qt enamel on cast iron pot. Cooks Illustrated rates these Mario Batali pots nearly as highly as Le Creuset and they're about half the price. They don't make a round one that size, but the shallower part of the oval is still 11" and provides for reasonably even burner coverage on my range (although if I remember correctly you actually have a more high powered range at home than I do). Hope this helps.

plllog - great advice (along with everyone else) on "fish stick/chicken strip" making. The rounded sides on your your Le Creuset soup pot work better for at least 2 reasons:
    1. A pan with 90 degree sides allows heat to enter from both the bottom and the side so, in effect, the food in the corner is getting up to twice as much heat - even more for a perfectly square or rectangular baking pan taking heat on 3 sides (ever noticed how the corners of brownies are quick to burn).
    2. Rounded sides allow for more complete and efficient stirring therefore also reducing burning.
    These two reasons are probably why most pots are actually round/rounded in the first place. You'll note that practically all good casserole dishes (made for long cooking without stirring) are round/rounded on all edges. Interestingly, this can be even more important for microwave cooking.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

It doesn't help with the weight issue, but I found the 13-qt LeCreuset at their outlet store for $335, and they're having a sale in May when it will be 30% off...So will be about $235.

I have found some 3-ply stock pots by Vollrath, the 'Tribute' line, which says it has 18/8 stainless interior, 8 gauge aluminum core, and 18/0 stainless exterior. Katom.com has a 12-quart for $83.70 (MSRP $167). No lid, but if it will work similarly to the All-Clad, that's an amazing price. Thoughts?

• sterlingsilver
    14 years ago

You might want to shop around for prices on All-Clad and Le Creuset and other similar types of cookware. I've seen both brands at discount stores such as HomeGoods, Marshall's, and TJ Maxx. They had a fairly large selection of cookware too, although maybe not as much as a higher-end store.

I saw an All-Clad griddle that goes for $300 at Williams Sonoma selling for $150 at HomeGoods, so the difference can be significant.

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

A good friend of mine bought a gigantic (I think the biggest) used oval le creuset dutch oven on Ebay for $50. Not a scratch.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Smartbargains.com has the 8 qt. Kitchenaid 5-ply fully clad 8 qt. stainless stockpot for $120. Amazon had a whole 9 piece set that included that though of this fully clad cookware for about $250 I think. Not induction capable though. Cuisinart also makes a full clad stainless one for less in their Multiclad Pro line.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Thanks, again, Chefkev! Great to learn.

BTW, I doubt there are any quality of cooking differences between different cast iron pots of the same size, shape and weight. It's possible that some use inferior iron, but I doubt it. I haven't heard of owners of cheap cast iron complaining of cracks for instance. It's also possible that the enamel is better quality on some brands, i.e., chips less, denser, etc., but, unless you're beating the heck out of it, would you ever know? I have chipped my favorite Le Creusets but only in tricky places like where the handle meets the pan. Never in the cooking part.

Le Creuset has some great shapes, like the soup pot, braiser and saucier, that I haven't seen elsehwere. And since my pots used to live on the stove for lack of pot drawers I liked that they matched (I have cerise and flame). I've had gifts of a matching cerise steel stock pot, and flame steel teakettle as well. BTW, the 13.25 qt. is officially a dutch oven. :)

For a regular sized dutch oven, the big advantage of Le Creuset is mostly that it's pretty. Great colors. Mario Batalli has great colors too. They're a little muddier, which could go better with someone's color scheme. My brother gave me the Napa Style enamelled cast iron, double grill pan because I dislike the black textured enamel. It's more like the Batalli colors, but it's gold, so it looks fine with the cerise and flame.

On weight: I think the demonstration pot at the appliance store was All Clad. Whatever it was, it was a plain old 2 qt. pot, and every bit as heavy as my two quart Le Creusets, by my perception. My old Farberware isn't nearly so, but heavy is heavy.

• chefkev
    14 years ago

rhome410 - The 12 qt Vollrath Tribute Try-ply pan looks like the perfect combination of even heat distribution/protection without being overwhelmingly heavy. I really like the 12" diameter. If Katom.com is a reliable site, you've found a really great price - I can't find it anywhere for less. I have a friend who knows people at at Vollrath - I'll try to get a hold of him and ask if he has any info about the Tribute line. It looks so good I might want to replace one of my larger stock pots.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Thanks, ChefKev!

More info on the Tribute by Vollrath below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vollrath Tribute specs