Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Tile Grout Fix Up Product?

rococogurl
14 years ago

Anyone know of something new and really good that can bleach, recolor or be used to fix grout to improve the look of tile without pasting up something fake over it? I seem to recall someone here found something like that a while back.

TIA

Comments (9)

• glenster_jr
    14 years ago

I believe they sell grout stains that will dye the grout a darker color. Don't have any names handy at work, though.

• daisychain01
    14 years ago

I think Aquamix is the name the grout colourants are sold under.

If you do this, could you post back with the results? I have some grout that could use some colouring too, but I'm wondering about how hard it is and what it would look like.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

You can go darker, lighter, or the same color. Doesn't matter. The one linked below is a one part epoxy based colorant that goes over your existing grout, and recolors, as well as seals the grout permanently. I've used this stuff several times, and it's tough as nails.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquamix Grout Colorant

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i don't think i'm hijacking, as my question is relevant but in case i am, please forgive: bill, i am so lost! i've read on GW that sealing grout is not necessary -or advised since it can change the color of the grout. but what i'm reading here suggests to me otherwise. should i have our tiler use the aquamix on a new install? PLEASE clear up my obvious confusion! thx!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bill and everyone. That's great info.
    FWIW I sealed my grout in the kitchen. No harm in doing.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Kate, I answered this in your x-post, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this-- I'm not talking about something that's just there to seal the grout. It's there to color it, as well-- either lighter, darker, or even back to the same color (i.e.-- go from beige to red, or red to beige)

As for sealing grout, you're right-- I don't believe in sealing grout just for its own sake. That's not to say you can't do it, if you like. To me, though, it's a waste of time and money.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

I used a product about two weeks ago from a company called "This Old Grout"... ordered from their website. I was really happy with it....

The final grout color of our floor tile wound up being way lighter than I had expected. Was using sanded Haystack from Custom Poly blend and it looked more like a whitish ivory. No way that was going to hold up. I bit the bullet and decided that before sealing it, I'd just color and seal at the same time. Worked great and doesn't look fake at all. I can't tell (and I'm picky). The color matches the spacer caulk lines on the floor perfectly.

And it seems to work... the old Jack Russell had an accident last week and it sat for about an hour or so before I saw it.... NO soaking into the grout at all.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

ok, thanks bill. for now it will be my intention to seal the grout. or for someone else to do, if possible.

• this_old_grout.com
    14 years ago

Hi, my name is Ken Sherman, founder and President of This Old Grout. I thought I might shed some light on the subject of grout sealing.

While it's not necessary to seal grout, grout is very porous and will quickly absorb dirt and spills. This leaves the grout discolored and can quicly spoil the look of a room.

Our Stain Sealer product the gentleman referred to in the post above, not only recolors grout back to a uniform shade of your choice, it also STAIN PROOFS the grout so dirt and spills (and even your Jack Russel's accidents) simply wipe away.

With a 10-15 year durability, it is the answer to how to properly protect grout. It is different that a clear penetrating sealer.

Most sealers folks are familiar with are clear penetrating sealers that provide a window of opportunity to pick up a spill before it soaks in and discolors the grout...but even standing dirty mop water can get past a penetrating sealer. All penetrating sealers, even the best ones,only provide STAIN RESISTANCE. And they do not address any color variation in the grout at all. In fact, if there are permanent stains, a sealer just seals them in.

The difference in the Stain Sealer is that grout is able to be cleaned and maintained looking new. We've been back to projects completed 16 years ago and the grout comes perfectly clean with a drip of dish soap and a light scrub from a toothbrush.

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old Grout's Stain Sealer