Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
npersy

Granite Fabrication SF Bay Area

npersy
11 years ago

Hello! We are about to start our kitchen remodel by rearranging our current cabinets and painting them white. I want to replace the awful laminate from the 80's that the previous owners left us. Our kitchen is a "u" shape so we'll have 2 corners, an apron front sink, and a cooktop cutout. Overall we're looking at around 65sq feet of countertop. I'm wondering if anyone has any fabricators they can recommend? I have 2 quotes already and it seems insane - they are both around 4k for just the fabrication! What is the going rate? I was expecting them to be less than home depot, but with the cost of the material and fabrication it's around $90-$100 sq ft, whereas I can get the same thing at HD for $50-$75. Help!!!

Comments (12)

• miffybunny
    11 years ago

Are you a Costco member? They sub-contract to Duracite in Fairfax and you get a pretty nice discount through Costco. :) (We went through them for quartz, though, so I'm not sure on the price for granite).

This post was edited by miffybunny on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 18:54

• npersy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome, thanks! I'll try both of those. Am I being unrealistic in thinking $70/sq ft for fabrication only is ridiculous?

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Have you selected your granite? We used Venice marble in Sanjose for vanity and laundry countertops which were a combination of remnants and prefab from them. The work was very good. We have also used KZ kitchen near ebay in san jose. They are mostly prefab but had a good selection. The workmanship was good.

• dljmth
    11 years ago

I recently used Quintals in San Jose who does both tile work and fabrication. Leandro is the owner and they have a person that helps with design named Cristina. She used to work at All Natural Stone and she has a very good eye for design. The best thing about Quintals is their service. Cristina came out to the job site and I showed her my selections. She made some very good suggestions and helped layout all the tile before the tile setter came. She also got me a fantastic discount on tile and slabs (from Davinci) and passed it all to me whereas some others would take a cut. On the ceasarstone fabrication, they actually made a mistake on the template and I thought they had ruined it but they stepped right in, knew the error and fixed it without hesitation. Most of all, these guys are just good, honest people who I actually enjoyed having in my house. There prices were extremely reasonable. I got 2 other quotes and Quintals was the best.

• npersy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Haven't selected the granite yet but will keep those in mind!

Am I being unreasonable on thinking the estimates are high?

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Have you considered prefab? I ordered my granite from Jerong Marble in Hayward/Union City area, and they had by far the best selection I found anywhere!

We used them in our current kitchen and bought three prefab lengths each around 100' long for less than $1000, and we picked out on of the more expensive options.

We then had it fabricated by GraniteKraft for $2000, and this include cutting the back 4" off of the granite & polishing for a backsplash (some sizes don't need this to be done, I know, not very popoular but it was a temporary solution), one corner, undermount sink, stovetop, finishing two sides of a small island, AND installing a double sink counter in the master bath with two undermount sinks.

• SMuFlo
    11 years ago

I'll check my receipts when I get home and tell you exactly how much we spent on fabrication. Our fabricator is based in Hayward near the stoneyard so it all worked well.

• npersy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks SMuFlo - I would appreciate it!

• Fori
    10 years ago

I used bracho in newark as well. They did a good job and I appreciated their guy (Henry?) saying things like, "You KNOW you're gonna stand on that to change your lightbulb so put in a better support".

We got our stone from All Natural in SJ. I like how they have prices on stuff (and the fabricators get a 10% discount they would hopefully pass on to you).

• npersy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! We went with Bracho - he had the best price and has been more than helpful! Cabinets go in next week and they are coming to template next Friday! So excited!