Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite Fabrication SF Bay Area

Posted by npersy (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 12:58

Hello! We are about to start our kitchen remodel by rearranging our current cabinets and painting them white. I want to replace the awful laminate from the 80's that the previous owners left us. Our kitchen is a "u" shape so we'll have 2 corners, an apron front sink, and a cooktop cutout. Overall we're looking at around 65sq feet of countertop. I'm wondering if anyone has any fabricators they can recommend? I have 2 quotes already and it seems insane - they are both around 4k for just the fabrication! What is the going rate? I was expecting them to be less than home depot, but with the cost of the material and fabrication it's around $90-$100 sq ft, whereas I can get the same thing at HD for $50-$75. Help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite Fabrication SF Bay Area

I got 3 estimates, this company was the least expensive and did a great job.

http://www.brachomarble.net/

o

Are you a Costco member? They sub-contract to Duracite in Fairfax and you get a pretty nice discount through Costco. :) (We went through them for quartz, though, so I'm not sure on the price for granite).

This post was edited by miffybunny on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 18:54

o

Awesome, thanks! I'll try both of those. Am I being unrealistic in thinking $70/sq ft for fabrication only is ridiculous?

o

Have you selected your granite? We used Venice marble in Sanjose for vanity and laundry countertops which were a combination of remnants and prefab from them. The work was very good. We have also used KZ kitchen near ebay in san jose. They are mostly prefab but had a good selection. The workmanship was good.

o

I recently used Quintals in San Jose who does both tile work and fabrication. Leandro is the owner and they have a person that helps with design named Cristina. She used to work at All Natural Stone and she has a very good eye for design. The best thing about Quintals is their service. Cristina came out to the job site and I showed her my selections. She made some very good suggestions and helped layout all the tile before the tile setter came. She also got me a fantastic discount on tile and slabs (from Davinci) and passed it all to me whereas some others would take a cut. On the ceasarstone fabrication, they actually made a mistake on the template and I thought they had ruined it but they stepped right in, knew the error and fixed it without hesitation. Most of all, these guys are just good, honest people who I actually enjoyed having in my house. There prices were extremely reasonable. I got 2 other quotes and Quintals was the best.

o

Thanks! Haven't selected the granite yet but will keep those in mind!

Am I being unreasonable on thinking the estimates are high?

o

Have you considered prefab? I ordered my granite from Jerong Marble in Hayward/Union City area, and they had by far the best selection I found anywhere!

We used them in our current kitchen and bought three prefab lengths each around 100' long for less than $1000, and we picked out on of the more expensive options.

We then had it fabricated by GraniteKraft for $2000, and this include cutting the back 4" off of the granite & polishing for a backsplash (some sizes don't need this to be done, I know, not very popoular but it was a temporary solution), one corner, undermount sink, stovetop, finishing two sides of a small island, AND installing a double sink counter in the master bath with two undermount sinks.

o

I'll check my receipts when I get home and tell you exactly how much we spent on fabrication. Our fabricator is based in Hayward near the stoneyard so it all worked well.

o

Thanks SMuFlo - I would appreciate it!

o

http://www.customstoneusa.com/

o

I used bracho in newark as well. They did a good job and I appreciated their guy (Henry?) saying things like, "You KNOW you're gonna stand on that to change your lightbulb so put in a better support".

We got our stone from All Natural in SJ. I like how they have prices on stuff (and the fabricators get a 10% discount they would hopefully pass on to you).

o

Thanks all! We went with Bracho - he had the best price and has been more than helpful! Cabinets go in next week and they are coming to template next Friday! So excited!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here