Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Done lurking!

Posted by KimSig (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 12:58

I have been lurking here for a few weeks, what a great resource! It's time to step in and ask a few questions. We are in the process of getting bids to remodel our kitchen. Our first bid from a GC took our breath away, they came in 95 percent over the budget we told them we wanted to work with. So now we are going to contract it ourself. One area we are trying to be frugal with is appliances. There have been a few great deals on refrigerators at the local Sears outlet, does anyone have first hand experience with them? Good or bad! More questions to follow in the coming weeks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Done lurking!

We checked out the Sears outlet when we were looking for a refrigerator, but didn't see what we wanted. What we did see were just fine - lots of side-by-sides and units that wouldn't fit our space. Had we seen what we wanted, we wouldn't have had a problem buying it there.

We finally purchased at Sears on sale and they matched their own online price. We paid just under $1200 for a 33" bottom freezer Whirlpool Gold. At the time, about 15 month ago, that model was listed at around $1600, so good deal! It turns out that appliances, at least in this price range, are one of the things that you can and should offer the dealer less than they're asking. Definitely when you dealing with Best Buy, Frye's, that sort of place.

o

I bought muy fridge and DW at Sear's Outlet, and would do it again in a minute. Mine were panel-ready, so dings didn't matter, but it turns out that my fridge was new-in-box. (Sometimes they get new ones; the clerk did not know why.)

o

Okay...I kicked butt at the sears outlet. I lurked there a year, following pricing reductions and bargained them down on The "final" price.

This is what I got;

Jenn Air dual fuel pro range - 75% off
Kitchen Aid French door panel ready fridge - 75% off
GE Monogram panel ready dishwasher - 65% off

It took a lot of time, and risk of these items being sold, but it paid off. Sears was great to work with.

Then I got a brand new Modern Air hood on eBay from a local seller who installed and then removed it. Again 75% off the original price.

Oh, and I got a Newport Brass faucet on eBay worth $1,100 for less than $200! Like I said......it took time...a lot of time....

o

My understanding, although I haven't bought anything there yet, is that Sears will still offer you the same warranty for an outlet appliance as if you bought the appliance from one of their retail stores. That is where I plan to shop when the time comes.

o

We bought our oven and cooktop from sears outlet, both at greater than 50% discount and in perfect condition, and we got the extended warranty because our project dragged on for ages. The oven has turned out to have a problem that is apparently common on this model, and we have techs coming tomorrow to fix it. I have not been thrilled with some of the aspects of their service - failing to make appointments that were confirmed with us, sending just 1 guy when they knew they needed 2 - but I am glad we got the warranty and am trying to look at this as worth it given the over $2K in savings. Of course the service would be no different had we paid full price, and quality probably varies by location.

o

If you have any current appliances that still work, keep them for now and just make sure the appliance "holes" in your cabinetry is sized for what you really want to get. Then, get your new appliances when the budget recovers :)

The only way this doesn't work is if you are going from a range to cooktop/wall ovens or vice versa, or if you currently have a cooktop/wall oven setup and want to replace them with new. Cooktops and WOs are the only thing that's kind of hard to swap out due to size differences, so I'd probably buy those new now.

Also, if you need to replace because they don't work now you can always go with Craigslist appliances for now too. When we moved into our house we knew we would need to remodel the kitchen in a few years, but the range & DW didn't work so we bought black ones cheap off CL from a women who was upgrading to stainless. We got a washer/dryer set from her too.. I think we paid under $500 for everything; everything worked great, and we still have the washer/dryer set.

o

We are keeping our current functional white appliances until we recover from the huge dent in funds this remodel will create. The only reason we were replacing is because it seems like sacrilege to remodel without stainless. The exception is our new DW which is stainless and won't match. First world problems!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here