Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pseudochef

Cabinet hardware...where to start looking?

pseudochef
11 years ago

Where are some good places to look for cabinet hardware? I have absolutely no idea where to start. I'd like something on the budget end but sturdy. A simple design with no nooks or crannies to get dirt in (lots of kids). For the pulls I would also prefer them not to have something sticking out where I could catch my clothing on them. Maybe something like a simple arch pull? I'm thinking a dark finish like oil rubbed bronze or something of that nature. Not sure what my options are on finishes. I'm open to all recommendations! And please let me know of any websites that have good selections to look through. I'd prefer to do the majority of the legwork on this from my computer instead of actually on my legs :)

Comments (9)

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Since there is seemingly no end to the hardware options out there, I'd start by trying to get a feel for what you're looking for. My favorite place for this is Houzz.com. Once you narrow down WHAT you're looking for you can start searching by that type of hardware on some of the big sites. I have purchased a lot from knobs4less.com and topknobs.com. There is also hardwarehut and about a billion others, but those at least have a large selection to help you further narrow it down.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

This decision was the one that about drove me over the edge in my kitchen obsessing. I spent HOURS searching and it got too overwhelming, way too quickly. So I'll share my story.

I went to a big box store and bought a bunch of different sizes and styles (and if you don't know what finish you want, I'd get numerous finishes). Then I came home and put them against my cabinets - it made it much easier to eliminate sizes once I could see it instead of only visualize by tape measure. Pick some things you may not think you'll like - I was originally going with all knobs so they would be easy to change out in the future but ended up with all pulls, even on the uppers.

Once I found the finish and size I wanted, along with the general style, I went searching online (I don't have a lot of real-life choices in my little town, plus I have two kids that make it difficult to focus on design shopping). This is where it all went south because the style I liked from the big box store wasn't available at an inexpensive price anywhere else (and the one I liked best I was afraid I'd snag clothes on so I didn't want that particular one). I really liked a style from RH but I didn't want to spend that much on hardware. I read enough about Amerock on here to see that most people liked the brand, so I went to amerockforless and found a style I liked. Went back here to search for anyone with a finished kitchen using that style and lo and behold, beekeepers wife (whose style is awesome anyway) used it (Amerock Highland Ridge). Ordered, they are on, and I love them. I chose the same size pull for every cabinet and drawer because I like symmetry (and honestly, by that point, I didn't want to think about one size for one drawer and another for another).

BTW, I don't know what finish you're looking for but I had chrome fixtures and was specifically looking for chrome hardware. They are HARD to find, especially ones that don't look cheap. I ended up with polished nickel and my choices opened tremendously once I did that.

Good luck!

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Here are two I like to browse through for ideas:

http://www.knobbery.com/

http://www.cliffsideind.com

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

If you live somewhere where you can go visit the hardware in person, do it. In addition to all the factors lovetodream pointed out, there is also the "feel factor." Does the piece feel good when you use it to pull? Is the back finished or is it open and/or scratchy? Do your knuckles whack the drawer when you put your fingers in? Chunky enough/too chunky?

Given the choice, go to a real store and test drive the samples.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

If you have any local cabinet and door hardware specialty stores (not big box stores) I suggest checking them out. They have so many options on display. I went to a couple such stores in my area and one turned out to be extremely helpful and they discounted the hardware 30% off MSRP. This made the hardware less than the Internet sites I had looked at and I could order sizes that weren't available on the online site. There was no shipping or handling fees and they got them in within a week.

• ccfuss07
    11 years ago

Believe it or not- I got the knobs for my old kitchen, which I'll be reusing, from Target. They are an oiled rubbed bronze "egg" shape and I love them. We actually get lots of compliments on them and they just came in a big package of 16 for under $20. Now I'm looking for pulls similar to what you just described for my drawers so I can mix and match- hoping Target has another gem for me. I definitely want to stay on budget here because I know it'll be something that is easy to upgrade later if I get tired of them!

• cathy725
    11 years ago

I did the same as lovetodream. I looked at a lot of stuff online, but then ended up seeing a kitchen here (thanks poohpup!) who's pulls I liked. I ordered one of each color in the three different sizes (ie a 3" in orb, 4" in satin nickel, 5" in gilded bronze) that way I could decide which color and which length I wanted. Then I ordered them on amerockforless.

This is a great idea thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Show me yours

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I bought Baldwin brass arch pulls through a store in west reading pa. They are solid brass and many different finishes are available. They were very reasonable but not as cheap as some.

• willtv
    11 years ago

We found what we wanted at dlawlesshardware.com.
    Large selection & good prices.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations