Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swhtech

Here we go!! Kitchen remodel has started!

swhtech
11 years ago

I have mostly been lurking on the Kitchen forums for a few months. Here is some background on our situation. Back in December we had a major flood caused by a failure in our fridge water filter housing. It flooded our entire kitchen and finished basement below. The basement was rebuilt and is back to normal. Now after months of decision making and waiting, our kitchen renovation began this week. First to go was the tile floor. It has taken the GC 3 days to get the floor up as whoever put it in used both screws, nails and glue on the subfloor.....what a mess. Here are a few pics after the first day of demo....

Comments (61)

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Really like the tile and the orientation - very nice! Can't wait to see it grouted. :)

• Debbie Erfer
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the floor pic! We're doing 12 x 24 tile also and I've been debating which way to run it. It looks great!

• will2kz
    11 years ago

Looking great! I think you are going to win the remodel race as I'm at a similar place, but keep challenging my subcontractors with crazy ideas....

• swhtech
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! This has been a long road since our flood, and now we feel like we are finally making good progress! Here's a couple more Pics of the tile, grout is today....we chose laticrete platinum, hope we like it!

This is looking in from the garage, bathroom and laundry room is on the left.

Another from the hallway, showing the pattern all the way down

And a closer pic of the floor, obviously its dirty....will post pics once it's grouted today.

• swhtech
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For those who wanted to see the completed floor, here are a few pics. We absolutely LOVE it! Even the contractor can't get over the floor.

Close up of the grout

Next up is the demo of the front hall horrendous black tile. We will be putting in hardwood (white oak) to match the rest of the first level as it all needs to be refinished from the water damage. Don't mind the dog in the pic :-)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

You new floor looks absolutely gorgeous. Great tile choice. I do hope the new hardwood floor in the foyer will match your puppy's fur!

• cookingofjoy
    11 years ago

Your new floor is gorgeous! I really like how you decided to run the tiles, too.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Oh wow. I think that is the same Emil tile that I fell in love with the first time I went to our tile store. I couldn't find a way to make it work in our kitchen, but am determined to find a use for it somewhere. I like the large format, color and subdued pattern. Needless to say, your floor is spectacular! Thanks for sharing all the pics, it's fun to see the in-progress action.

• jentrex
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting. I really like that tile!

• swhtech
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So we are really moving along now.....first coat of paint is up and ready for the cabinets....paint color is BM Steel Wool

Also we had a big delivery today!!

And a close up of the cabinet door

And the cabinet install starts tomorrow morning at 8am....lots of progress pics to come over the weekend!!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow- you are really making progress - I can't believe your hardware is already installed!
    Love your new floor!
    Exciting!!!

• swhtech
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our custom cabinet maker preinstalls the hardware at the factory....my contractor loves not having to install 50+ pulls!!

• swhtech
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So we had a very busy Saturday! Our contractor worked his butt off and got almost all the perimeter cabinets installed. We are absolutely loving the way they look! Just as we imagined it! Here are some pics!

This is our new space, with a broom closet pantry....this space used to be two closets.

Fridge cabinet with pantry with full extension pull outs

Sink base, Dishwasher location, etc

The island and trim should be done tomorrow. Appliances should be installed also....granite templating is Tuesday morning!!

• Mgoblue85
    11 years ago

Holy cow, you are making some very speedy progress. Everything looks wonderful. The photo updates are great.

• plumberry
    11 years ago

wow! how exciting looks beautiful, great progress! thanks for the updates. keep em coming.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! You say the remodel has "started", but it looks like it is almost done!! How exciting. Love all of your choices!

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Love it! What granite are you getting? What color gray is that on the wall? I love the crisp white/gray combo, and with that superb tile on the floor... that's going to be perfect. Nice going, thanks for the updates!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Oh, that tile is beautiful! Those cabinets look wonderful too. How exciting! Thanks for sharing along the way! Looking forward to the rest of the details.

• swhtech
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@karin_mt : thanks so much! The paint is BM Steel wool....and our granite is called "waterfall". Here's a pic of the slab, not a very good one though

Yesterday the island went in, and the trim started to get installed. Also the fridge was delivered and rolled into place, it's the Whirlpool White Ice SxS, counter depth. Today the stove is being hooked up and final plumbing except for the sink and DW. We are moving quickly!!

side of the island with finished panel

Side of island facing the sink and DW. 3 drawer stack, and shallow 4 inch cabinet on left side for spices, coffee, etc.

And this end faces the stove, it has a drawer, and a double pull out trash below....

And a pic of the new fridge in its place, not pushed in all the way

Thanks for all the positive comments....appreciate it!

• swhtech
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a couple more pics now that the stove, dishwasher, microwave, and fridge are installed.....next up....granite! Got templating done today, going to fabricator tomorrow to do the layout and we will have granite next week!

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

I love the tile and the direction you decided to lay it. Do you mind sharing the name of the tile?

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now we feel like we are getting our kitchen back! Granite was installed Friday. Overall it went well, but it didn't start out well....when we went to the fabricator to look at the layout, we decided on a half bullnose edge, but we were debating between a 3/8 or half bull....but ultimately we decided on the half bull and made the choice clear to the owner. Well, one week later the granite arrives and as soon as they opened the truck I could see it WAS NOT half bull....they did it in 3/8...oh man!! I had them bring a couple pieces in and place them so we could look at it with the cabinets....they were willing to take it back and refabricate the edge. Ultimately the wife and I decided that we liked it just as much, so we proceeded with the install. We absolutely love the granite....it has a lot going on, but we love it with the simple white cabinets....now here are some pics!

Here you can maybe see the seam just beyond the sink

• go_figure01
    10 years ago

Hi swhtech, WOW. Looks fabulous. I know you haven't done your final reveal yet, but can I ask you who your cabinet maker is/type/color?

Gorgeous!
    TYIA

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love the style and white painted cabinets chosen. I love the hardware. I love the subtle crown molding. I love the floors so much! What grout width did you use and what size are those beautiful tiles? The edge on the beautiful granite is very nice. The granite goes so well with the tiles, cabinets and your walls. I love how the side of the cabinets are finished to match your cabinet doors.

I can't wait to see your final reveal! Thanks for sharing.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Oooh I agree the granite is stunning. Really nice looking kitchen! You should post a new reveal thread with your finished pics when it's done ... which looks like it will be very soon!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Major drool problem. It is absolutely stunning!
    Can't wait to see your final reveal!
    You did what I thought was impossible in our kitchen - you figured out an island! I think your kitchen is very similar in size to our final kitchen and loving what you did!
    What did you do in your sun room area? Is the one cabinet run and pantry closets in this area?
    BTW - what is to the right of your cooktop L - Is it a pantry or another room. Also what is the wall color? Is that BM Thunderous?

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the comments....I will definitely do a new thread when we are ready for the final reveal....still need to figure out the backsplash.
    @go_figure01 the cabinets are built by a local cabinet maker here in Massachusetts....the cabinets are all wood with hard maple doors, painted a color called designer white. The doors have an eased outside edge, with a simple molding around the flat reverse panel.
    @lynn2006 the tiles are 12x24, not sure on the grout width, but it's fairly thin.
    @a2gemini to the right of the stove is a doorway to our dining room, then a full height pantry with the fridge next to it. Not sure what you are asking about the sun room area. The paint color is BMW Steel Wool.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Wow, we share the same taste. I love looking at each new step because each time I like it more and more!

Your countertop is a rock called stretched pebble conglomerate. It's not granite. It's much cooler than granite. This rock began life as a pile of pebbles and cobbles, such as on a beach or in a stream bed. The pebbles are mostly made of quartz and they are suspended in a clay-ey mixture that is the darker color. Then the whole thing was buried deeply, heated and compressed. The compression made the formerly-round pebbles stretch out into the oval shape. It also glued things together tightly and perhaps enhanced the cool green color. I have always liked that rock and I repeatedly swoon at the slab of it at our stone yard. It's great to see it in action in your kitchen.

Thanks for the updates and keep up the awesome work!

Karin

• bpath
    10 years ago

Love the white appliances, and how the cabinet hardware coordinates with the Whirlpool handles. The colors and coordination are all very "zen"!

There is a cabinet in the island that backs up to the trash cabinet. Is this a shallow spice cabinet?

• stripes99
    10 years ago

Everything looks fabulous! I love the colors. Would you mind sharing what the cabinet hardware is? I really like the way the handles look.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I am just trying to get a total picture of your kitchen. I was pretty sure the area to the right of the cooktop led into the DR
    What is to the left of the sink area - it looks like another room? Is it a breakfast area?
    Sorry for so many questions - it is gorgeous!!

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@bpathome Yes, it is a shallow spice cabinet....the cabinet maker did an awesome job building it....exactly how we wanted it.

@stripes99 Thank you....we tried to find handles that coordinated well with the appliance handles....we found them at Lowes....made by Brainerd
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_362467-81227-P62273W-SN-C_4294965126__?productId=3470373&Ntt=Brainerd&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3DBrainerd&facetInfo=Brainerd

@a2gemini got it...the area to the left of the sink is the dining area, with a slider to our patio. In the final reveal pictures I will try and get a full picture of the whole kitchen so you can see the whole layout....

I am happy to answer all the questions....I got so many ideas and so much info from this forum, I am happy to help others!

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

Wow! Your kitchen is lovely! It is the exact layout of our kitchen, except we have a 175 sq. ft. eating area adjacent to where your sink is. I love your color choices and the floor is gorgeous. I'm just curious, how much aisle space do you have between your island top and the countertops running parallel to the island? We are in the process of redoing our kitchen now. My husband is building the cabinetry and I can't wait to be at your stage.

• buildinva
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love it. My favorite is that wonderful FLOOR! Gorgeous!!!

• aries61
    10 years ago

swhtech: Can you tell me what size blind corner cabinet did you use left of the stove and what size was the drawer base used right of the sink?

Thanks

• eleena
    10 years ago

I missed this thread in April (as I was in the middle of my remodel). OMG, this is one stunning kitchen!

But where are the final pix?

• rosylady
    10 years ago

That is a truly stunning and unique granite. Beautiful!

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments! We are loving the granite! We still need to get the backsplash done, and then I will be posting final pics!

@aries61 : The corner cabinet from the stove to the wall is 48", with the door being 21". The drawer stack to the right of the stove is 21.75" with a .75" finished panel. We did full custom cabinets, so we were able to bring the cabinets right up to the door molding to take advantage of all the space we had.

• aries61
    10 years ago

swhtech: Thanks for the blind corner dimensions. I was also asking about the drawer base size to the right of the sink cabinet not the range.

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about that....to the right of the sink is 14.25"W three drawer stack....we have our towels in the top drawer, then mixing bowls, measuring cups, etc...in the other two drawers....we weren't sure how useful they were going to be but they have worked out well so far.

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also we have a 36" sink base because we wanted a large double bowl sink....so if the sink base was smaller, we could have had a wider stack of drawers to the right of the sink....

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Swhtech. Goodness how did I miss this thread! Thank you for posting this link in the other thread where I first saw your granite. That granite is stunning; I've never seen it before and I love it! Is it pretty bulletproof regarding staining etching?
    Looks to be mostly gray yes? Are the white areas very white? What color white are your cabs? I want that combo!
    Your kitchen is beautiful. Love the floors, love everything!
    Have you picked a backsplash yet?
    I'll be following your progress for sure. Thanks.

• dashmag
    10 years ago

Hi Swhtech,
    Where in Mass are you? Are you happy with your cabinets? I'm in Western Mass getting ready for kitchen re-model, would appreciate information on your .
    cabinets.Thx

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@island: Thanks for the comments on the granite, we love it...so far it has been very durable...the fabricator said it was extremely hard and a very heavy stone. I would say the base color would be gray, with white and green accents. The white areas are not bright white, but each slab was a bit different. The cabinets are a color called 'designer white'. The finish is Sherwin Williams, but I don't know if the color is actually called designer white....it is a very stark, bright white. Yes, we have picked a backsplash, it should be coming in this week. It is a light gray 4x4, in a flat finish, and will be installed on the diagonal. We didn't want the backsplash to compete with the granite....it just needs to be a background and compliment the granite....hopefully it comes out how we are envisioning it.

@dashmag: We are extremely happy with our cabinets....this is the second kitchen we have done with our custom cabinet maker. The cabinet maker is located in West Bridgewater, not sure how far they will deliver. There name is Mediterranean Custom Cabinets (http://medcustomcabinets.com/) if you call ask for Cathy, she is the KD. They are full custom, and can do whatever you want, and their pricing is VERY good compared to other kitchen places. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mediterranean Custom Cabinets

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional granite info. Has some green too? My favorite color. I hope to see it in person some day. I too love your hardware and fridge handles and floor. Everything! Interested in seeing your gray BS installed. When you post a final reveal please come back to this one to let us know. That way I'll get an email notice. Would hate to miss it. Thanks.

Rosk Whisperer Karin- Thanks for the geological scoop on that stone. Pretty cool!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Duplicate post deleted

This post was edited by island on Mon, May 20, 13 at 20:19

• aries61
    10 years ago

swhtech,I have 2 other questions regarding your blind corner base cabinet. 1) Did you do regular shelves or some type of pull out in it? 2) Is the cabinet a standard 24" deep cabinet?

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@aries61 - Cabinet depth is standard. We did put in a Hafele Lemans Corner pull out, which we really like. We had a very similar pull out in our old kitchen, so we wanted to have the same thing again. We put our pots/pans on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele Lemans Corner

• swhtech
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I finally got around to posting my final reveal thread!
    See below for the link....again, I would like to thank everyone for their positive comments and questions!
    This forums is absolutely awesome, and I will continue to follow it and answer questions when I can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Reveal thread!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths