Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Does your vent hood stick out 2 ft? Pics pls!

gobruno
14 years ago

We have never had a venthood before, and our trim guy was letting us know that it comes out 24 inches, and that's before we even put on any drywall or decorative accents. We were planning on having a small wood mantel around the bottom of the hood, which would make the mantel stick out 27". Is this normal? Does anybody have pictures so that I can see? That means it would stick out past the bottom countertops. I had him raise the hood so that the bottom is 36" from the counters, but would it look like it's jutting into the kitchen? I guess, even if I didn't like it, there is nothing I can do about it now! Some reassuring pics would help!

Comments (14)

• cotehele
    14 years ago

How much forward depends on the insert, which should determine the wood 'box' into which the insert is placed. This is a ModernAire mounted 72'' from the floor. The counter is 34'' high and 29'' deep. The insert manufacturer specified a maximum height from the cooktop. Higher and the vent will not be as effective.
    Here is a picture of the unfinished hood.

• wa8b
    14 years ago

You don't mention a brand and model for your vent hood, or the type of cooktop or range you're planning. If you're installing a commercial style range, then a 27" deep hood isn't unusual. If on the other hand, you're installing a cooktop or a non-commercial style range, you probably don't want the hood to extend out beyond the leading edge of your countertops. Range hoods are available in various sizes, so you might want to choose a different model that isn't as deep.

Many people who are planning a decorative outer shroud or mantle type of enclosure choose to install a vent hood liner insert instead of a regular vent hood. A liner insert is designed to be enclosed by a a decorative surround.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vent-A-Hood Liner Inserts

• weissman
    14 years ago

Not only is it normal but it's desirable - the deeper the hood the better the capture area. Also, 30" above the cooktop is what's usually recommended but you can go as high as 36".

• gobruno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I'm worried that somebody cooking at the range would knock their head into the venthood. We do have friends who are over 6' tall. We did get a 52" hood liner/insert from independent hood. It is going over a 36" wide Wolf gas range and a 15" induction hob. I'm just afraid that the hood is going to dominate the kitchen. Ugh. I hope it doesn't look bad.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

My Hood sticks out 27", the range sticks out just as much; more if you count the oven door handle. It's no big deal, because it's 72" above the floor, so no head-banging.
    Casey

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Ours is 24" deep over a cooktop and is mounted 30" off the cooking surface (so that means 66" off the floor). We're a tall family and have not yet had issues with head bumping.

We wanted at least 24" so the front burners would be covered plus a couple of inches more (to capture drifting smoke, etc.) It's also 42" wide and my cooktop is 36" wide.

• plllog
    14 years ago

My brass hood sticks out 24" from the tile (it's hung in front of the tile), 26" including the pot rail. Pretty much what Buehl describes, though the cooktops are farther in from the front edge.

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

My hood is 27" deep and the lowest portion is 36" above the cooktop. Our kitchen is still a work in process

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Ah, you wanted a pic, too. Can do:

Casey

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Our range hood is 24" deep over a 24" counter, and 48" wide over a 48" range. It is set 32" above the top of the range; 70-71" from the floor. Our range can be adjusted with the legs from 35-7/8 to 37-5/8 (it's not installed yet).

I definitely think that most hoods extend out two feet.

• gobruno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did I tell you how much I love GW? As we are nearing the completion of our build, I feel like I have been using it as a crutch to alleviate the worries over all the little things we are stressing about in the home stretch. Thanks for all the great pictures and posts. When our trim guy told me how deep the hood was, I got so worried, especially bc right now the space looks so nice and open, and visualizing a 27" deep by 52" wide solid thing, taking up that much space had me concerned. Ok, I will have faith that it will all look normal.

Thanks!

• sue15c
    13 years ago

Mine is going to be 20" deep and 28" off the counter. I was worried till I saw these posts that mine stuck out too far also. My cooktop (electric) counter is 25" deep and only 30" wide. Our ceilings are a standard 8'. Should it be 30"? How do you know if you will bump your head:)

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

Here's ours and no it does not stick out.

The depth of the hood insert is 19". 21" with the wood. We set it about nine inches higher than specs recommend. It works beautifully and is SO quiet.