Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannes

Marble Countertop Price Negotiations

cannes
14 years ago

Has anyone had any luck negotiating on marble/granite countertop pricing? If so, how much were you able to get off?

Comments (21)

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

LOL. I am on the phone right now trying to get them down!

Okay. Last year I was quoted $55 sq ft from one place on Carerra. And promised 30% off. That person is no longer with the company, but they said they would honor whatever he promised.

Got the quote last nite. Wrote to them immediately, including the original guy's email, about the 30% off.

He wrote back that they took off 10 and that he would take an additional 10% off (the already marked down price). Not what I had in mind!

I may have found a better place. They say they can beat the price by at least $1k and he is calling around pricing stone.

BUT...The unacceptable quote I got was for $8,435.95 on 100 sq feet of tops. I am really shooting for a quote more around $5-6k.

Will keep you posted!

The truth is there are not a lot of remodels going on now. The second guy did tell me that if I went with granite--which they have a lot of--he could price it better. I think it depends on what they have sitting in their stone yard and how flexible you are in your choice.

• cannes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It all makes sense. Supply dictates price. But why does it seem as if Carrara is in limited supply? One place even told me that 3mm carrara didn't even exhist. What?? I had already seen it and knew it did.

The slab we looked at is gorgeous but has some pitting in the honed surface. I wasn't sure if I should let it worry me. I can't say that the pits bothered me all that much. Especially since I know that with time, I will have caused my own pits. It's a large slab so it would allow us to not have any seams.

Earlier this morning, we had decided to pass on it. But after speaking with my DH again (I was very sad), he told me to go ahead but try and get the price down.

$8500 would have given my DH a heart attack... literally!
    We've been quoted $3100 for about 45 sq ft, on that particular slab. I would love to negotiate the price down a few hundred dollars. To the best of my knowledge, they only had 2 slabs of this size. Both slabs have this pitting. Can I try and use that for negotiating?

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

I think I read another post by you the other day. What is this "pitting?" Will have to google it.

I would totally use it for negotiating! Use whatever you can.The price to sq footage you have been priced comes to $68 a square foot. I am assuming you are in the Chicago area, which would be more expensive than where I am in North Central Florida. But that still seems high for carrera.

What I am finding out in my research is that carerra is the most common and least expensive marble. Apparently, there is no lack of supply.

However, most granite fabricators don't use it a lot so they don't have it lying around. This kind of sucks in terms of being able to pick out a slab.

I have talked to three places so far and they all are offering carrera at $55 sq/ft and then we are negotiating down from there.

The problem I am running into is that honed will cost more than polished. Like, a lot more.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

I think you'll have more negotiating power if you visit more than one supplier. (Yes, I know it's a pain!) We went to a couple in Elk Grove Village and a couple in Chicago.

And it never hurts to ask, right? If they won't come down on the price, see if they'll throw in some extras for free. Maybe they'll give you an upgrade on the edging, or you could ask to have a couple of cut-outs or scraps finished on the edges. (You could use them for pastry boards, shelves, etc. One GWer did a niche with a marble shelf behind the stove top. Looks awesome!)

• annkathryn
    14 years ago

Are you trying to negotiate the cost of the marble or the cost of fabrication? Where I live, these are two separate negotiations. I got bids from multiple fabricators and notified the 2nd place guy that I was going to go with the lowest price bid from another place. Fabricator number 2 asked what the price difference was and if he could take another look. Since I hadn't yet notified the low price fabricator that I was going to use him, I had fab #2 come by for a 2nd look. His revised bid came in about $600 less than fab #1. Both fabricators had great references so I'm going with fab #2.

As far as the granite goes, I've looked at several yards and found slabs I think I can use (they're cracked down the middle) on sale for $300 each. I'm going to meet my fabricator there to see if they'll be possible. If not, my fabricator gets discounted prices at a couple of other yards. It's my experience that granite yards will give much better prices to fabricators than they will to a homeowner who's wandered in off the street. The variation is about $5/square foot on the relatively inexpensive granite I've chosen.

Lessons learned:

1. Fabrication costs are highly negotiable
    2. Have your fabricator contact the granite/marble yards for a price; they can often do better than what you'll get on your own.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Oooooh! I am so excited. First place quoted me $8435.95 for 100.6 sq ft + 3 fluted drain boards. Second place (which I just put a down payment on with ) agreed to $7k flat and is giving me a tabletop for an 8' X 20" table for FREE.

I feel like such a champ!

And place number two comes has a very good reputation.

Good luck, Chicagoans! Hope you get some good deals.

• ajard
    14 years ago

I am paying 4300 for 2 inch carrara, about 40 sq feet installed in the NY metropolitan area

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

One idea might be to ask several different fabricators
    how they can help you bring the price down.

In my situation I told the fabricator I could only spend XX
    and he searched for slabs that he could afford
    so that he could still make a profit and I did not have
    to go over budget. How did I come up with the price?
    I met with 6 different installers/fabricators.
    After that I chose the one with a good repuation and
    the fact he was willing to work with me to bring the price
    down was awesome.

In this economy you can do it. You can get a better
    price. It never hurts to ask.
    ~boxer

• wallycat
    14 years ago

http://www.annsacks.com/onlinecatalog/collection.jsp?cat=268804&coll=278704

I found this site for marble, and there is a price view for each type of marble.
    I have not ordered from them and I am not plugging them; I'm just amazed at the price difference. Are they maybe quoting tile and not slabs?? Under 20K sq. ft....doesn't compare to what is quoted here.

Here is a link that might be useful: marble collections and price quotes

• cannes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sab... That's great! Congratulations on getting the price down.
    ajard... I guess location does effect the price.

I tried getting a hold of her yesterday and didn't hear back until late. I will call her tomorrow, when she is back in. If I wasn't attached to the slab, I would continue to price other fabricators. She said she is holding the slab until monday since we didn't get a chance to touchbase yesterday.

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Chica---Thanks ;)

Wallycat.....looks like Ann is quoting 15 x 15 tiles...which makes sense since it is a tile company. The prices for that don't seem outrageous, considering how high end the company is, and I am sure their quality is great.

• cannes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well...
    We placed our deposit today. I didn't bother negotiating considering this is for a slab large enough to be seam free. We had two other quotes for carrara, both with seams, only a few hundred less. It's worth a few hundred not to have a seam. Hopefully everything will go smoothly from here.

Thank you for the advice everyone!

• sherriz
    13 years ago

I got a quote today for $48 SF for Calacatta Gold for a 60 SF slab. Is that a good price or is there a better price out there?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

$48 a sq ft for Calacatta Gold seems like a steal! I have been quoted about $120 a sq ft for Calacutta!

• kswartwout
    11 years ago

Not sure if anyone is still subscribed to this thread, but I am in Chicago area and would love to know any recommendations for suppliers and or fabricators of marble for a good price. Sounds like you guys had some good deals. Thanks!

• kswartwout
    11 years ago

Not sure if anyone is still subscribed to this thread, but I am in Chicago area and would love to know any recommendations for suppliers and or fabricators of marble for a good price. Sounds like you guys had some good deals. Thanks!

• cannes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kswartwout- sorry I haven't been around the forum much any more. Do you still need names?

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Bumping this thread up for the Washington DC metropolitan region and recent GW choice of yards/fabricators for better prices. I did the GW search thread and read most local area posts.

Any idea of current honed Carrera price range per sf price for If you have done any recent searches and install, would you share your experience in our area? Did you find any yard or fabricator that you especially liked in this process?

Thank you very much.

• lafacia
    11 years ago

In the Philadelphia area, similar market I think, Carrera is about $85/sq ft.

• kitchen_maman
    11 years ago

Sparklingwater, we used Fernando's marble shop in Rockville md. They came recommended From our builder. They are family owned and the owner learned his trade in Portugal. They had beautiful slabs. We are getting our counter tops installed this week. It was about $2,800 for 28 sq feet, plus two 5 feet caps and about 5 feet of 8 inch high backsplash, eased edge. We chose a 3 cm white venato marble. They hone all their countertops as part of the process. They had beautiful Carrara also, 3 cm. good luck!!

Edit: the Carrara was priced about the same as the marble we chose, maybe a bit less. We told them our budget and they showed us the Venato and the Carrara.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fernando's marble shop

This post was edited by kitchen_maman on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 11:09

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Oh, thank you very much both. kitchen_maman, I appreciate your sharing your information and will definitely look into them.