Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdina

Help with kitchen sink

cdina
15 years ago

I was hoping to get some advice on choosing a kitchen sink. The sink is going to be in the island and space is limited. The KD planned on getting a Franke SS sink 21x19. However, I am not crazy about SS. Any suggestions? I see many people love silgranite, but they are hard to find on a display. I am not sure if I like the matte look of it, but it is hard to tell from pictures. Any thoughts on cast iron enamel sinks?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I am really at a loss. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

I love my cast iron enamel sink. Its a Kohler, and came with the house.

• michellemarie
    15 years ago

I love my cast iron enamel Kohler sink too. I have had it for 12 years since my house was built. I just added on to my house so my kitchen will soon be gutted. I tried to find a Kohler cast iron enamel apron front sink, but all I could find was fireclay. I finally went with copper. If I could have found a cast iron enamel apron front that is what I would have gone with. I have 6 kids and we are not careful with the sink. I have dropped pans in it and there are no dings. If you do go with ss, check out vigo or ticor on overstock. I don't think you can beat the quality or price. Good Luck.

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

What about stone or copper? There is even a glass sink close to those dimensions ..you don't give a lot of details about design, so it's a bit tough to make recommendations...

• cdina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have samples of anything yet, so I will try to describe it the best I can. We are getting cherry cabinets, natural stain, and red oak wood flooring. I am getting a fairly busy granite and backsplash and wish that I had pictures to show you. I wanted to keep the sink fairly simple, so as not to compete with the granite and backsplash.

• fishbj
    15 years ago

Hmmmm, I heard that fireclay is better than cast iron enamel????

• shipshape
    15 years ago

There's a nice deep Kohler cast iron enamel square, deckless, deep on the market now in multiple colors. I think it's 20x20 (all usuable space), undermount or surface mount. Around $350. Sorry I don't have the model number.

• ncounty
    15 years ago

fishbj- that is my understanding as well; that fireclay is better than cast iron enamel. It is extremely hard and durable and scratch resistant. It's certainly very expensive. Mine was $800 on sale. I love it; it is a Franke fireclay in matte black.

• davidro1
    15 years ago

Blanco sinks do not have a matte look. Call or email or phone them. Go and see where they tell you their sinks are on display.

• joseph7505
    15 years ago

There is a lot to be said for copper sinks, and I said it some time ago in a blog that is much too long to reproduce here. In a nutshell, though, what we think of as a deficiencyÂcopper's propensity for tarnishingÂis actually a patina that adds character to the sink as it ages. Copper sinks also have anti-bacteria properties that help a lot with the sanitation in a kitchen. Finally, Rachiele is a company that will make custom sinks, so you're not stuck with having to make a particular size sink fit a too-small cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet & Furniture Trends & Information

• cncnh
    14 years ago

I've lived with two Kohler enameled cast iron sinks. Both were already installed (I didn't choose them). One was white and one was black. They do not wear well, in my opinion. The white one was scratched and dull after 2 years. The black one looked even worse. Since I am not the original owner of these, I don't know anything about their previous life. Your mileage may vary, but I'm not taking any chances in my new kitchen. I'm putting in a Shaws Fireclay and a Franke SS prep sink.

• tamaradelaluna
    14 years ago

I'm with cncnh. We are adding on and remodeling to a home we recently purchased. I know the previous owners remodeled in the last 10 years, and the sink was a Kohler cast iron. It was scratched up horribly. I'm looking for a sink myself, and enameled cast iron is out for me.

• jone54557
    14 years ago

Hi there. I would like to recommend you a website of company which specializing in all kinds of sink with different size. www.chinasink.com

Here is a link that might be useful: chinasink

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

If you live close to a Home Depot or Lowes, I suggest you browse the clearance areas. I have seen special orders more than 50 percent off.

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

My decorator installed a Silgranite sink in her house that I was able to see. It looked very nice, it was a bone color and she loved it. She never has to worry about scratching it. I too am looking for a sink. I checked on faucetdepot.com today and they were telling me about a cafe brown silgranite sink that they said is quite popular now. I was thinking of going to a showroom to take a look at it. Faucetdepot.com has pretty good prices and they always give you a discount off their listed price. (Silgranite double sink was $327 and the prep sinks were $186 each. I need 3 sinks, these prices were quoted to me today.) Sounds strange to have a brown sink but if your granite has brown in it, it could be very pretty and stylish. OR of course we could both play it safe and go with stainless. I previously had a cast iron sink and did like it but you always had to be careful with your dishes. It was not forgiving if you dropped something in it. Mine was 25 years old and still looked pretty good. Some small scratches but nothing too bad. Hope I didn't confuse you more.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I truly want a farmhouse sink BUT I have so many questions. Will I have to have a solid countertop? And somewhere on this forum I saw a comment about the faucet holes in the sink rather than in the countertop. Will I have to change my mind and get a top mount single bowl sink to work with a laminate countertop? And the faucet holes would be a given since the farm house sink has no lip/edge. Comments? Advice?

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I've had cast iron enameled sinks most of my life, the only ones that were looking bad were 25 yrs or more old and white.

yrs ago i had 3 of them, 2 in bathrooms and 1 in kitchen. after 13 yrs and 4 kids they were all in super condition. the brown one was a bit difficult to keep water spots off - with the kids. otherwise, it was great! I never had a problem with the dishes hitting the sink or anything. it be extreme to break a glass or plate in it. don't know that i ever did - must not have been a problem tho since i don't remember it happening. I also had 2 cast iron enameled tubs - one a very old claw foot tub (got from someone gutting a bath in an old house to put in my new bath) - it was white, very old and the finish was fine. I painted the outside.

I'm gonna go with cast iron enameled again this next yr. a double sink for the kitchen - runs 250-350.00.

it will depend on how much you want to spend and if you want shiny or dull finish I guess.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

pinch_me, unless you go with one of the built-in sinks from the fabricator (so far these are acrylic, I think) you really need to do overmount in laminate. Ikea makes a nice overmount farmhouse type fireclay sink that comes in either single or double bowl sizes. One of those would probably be as close to what you want as you can get with laminate countertops. (The ikea sinks have a deck on the back for the faucets.)

But if you mean can you do something like a Shaws or Belle Foret in laminate the answer is no.

• neesie
    14 years ago

I was looking for an alternative to SS also, more than a year ago when I found this forum. The posters said so many nice things about Silgranit I just had to see for myself. Silgranit is NOT the same as Pegasus that you can see at Home Depot. I had to go to a plumbing specialty store to see the Silgranit in person and I loved it! I didn't order from the specialty store because I saved at least two hundred dollars ordering over the internet. I will never have stainless steel or enamel again! This sink is so easy to keep clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: silgranit sink