Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

White Farmhouse Sink/Cream Cabinets??

ideamom
15 years ago

I'm trying to decide on which sink to get. I love farmhouse sinks, but also read such great reviews about the Silgranit sinks. I know they are worlds apart!

Now if I were to buy a white farmhouse sink would it look ok with cream cabinets?? I haven't seen any cream colored farmhouse sinks.

If you have pics of cream cabinets with a white farmhouse sink...I would love to see it.

Comments (17)

• pirula
    15 years ago

It's what I have, I love it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cream cabinets, white apron sink

• kbauthority
    15 years ago

You may want to consider Bisque Colored sinks which are off white/crème. Franke fireclay sinks come in a variety of different colors including bisque. You can see view them at kbauthority.com under Franke Fireclay. Also, consider the finish of your appliances not only the cabinet finish if you are getting white appliances a white farmhouse sinks wouldnÂt look too bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse Sinks

• labradoodlemom
    15 years ago

We're doing cream perimeter cabinets with a white Shaw's farmhouse sink. Personally, I think that as long as the coloring between the white and cream is noticeable, it'll look fine.

Here are a few pictures that I had saved for inspritation. I know one is from a fellow GWer, and I apologize for not remembering the username of that person! (If anyone knows whose it is, I'd like to credit them!)

• labradoodlemom
    15 years ago

The second photo is from jbrodie! THANKS for letting us be inspired by your photos! :-)

• ebse
    15 years ago

I sure hope so--that's what we are doing!

I have seen pictures, and it looks great.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Fireclay sinks come in off-white, too. They call it linen or bisque. That's what I chose.
    Casey

• ella_socal
    15 years ago

I think a white sink is classic and looks fine with cream cabinets, as evidenced in the photos above. I have a cream tiled backsplash, considered bisque, but ended up with white Shaw's b/c I figured I couldn't go wrong with white. Someone here said bisque reminded them of old appliances.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

That's what we are doing as well! I agree with labradoodlemom; if the difference is obvious, it doesn't look as if you were trying to match and failed. I love the kitchens above!

• pickles_ca
    15 years ago

I also have cream cabinets and a white sink. My sink is in the island though which is red. But - just like in the pictures the others shared with you - I think it looks just fine.
    there is a link to pictures on 'my page'.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Ideamom,
    The farmhouse sinks are a favorite. I have a silgranite
    sink in my mud/laundry room. I am not a fan. When my
    kitchen is finished the mudroom is next and I am
    tossing that baby out.
    Large farmhouse sinks look wonderful with any color
    kitchen. Here are some pics.
    ~boxerpups

{{!gwi}}

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i was originally gong to get a bisque colored shaw's sink but then my fabricator told me he had a white one available if i wanted to buy it for $700. i wasn't sure until i started looking around and realized i wouldn't like the bisque with the my cream cabinets.
    i prefer that things "go" together rather than "match". so the white fireclay w/cream cabs is my personal favorite. the fireclay has such a beautiful finish to it; very organic compared to the siligranit. good luck with whatever you decide.

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

I don't really like the "cheap/industrial" look of the siligrantie sinks, which I have seen close up and "in action" thought I know many here who have them love them.

That said, while I don't have a farmhouse sink due mostly to a diagonal corner sink, I have a single bowl (?) Rohl Allia - kind of like a farmhouse but inset and undermounted. Anyway, my cabinets are cream ("oyster" finish in dynasty/omega) and I ended up selecting a bisque colored sink. I fretted much afterwards because in the shop it looked too "beige/yellow" and off-white. But it works perfectly with the cabinets now that it's all in. White would have made the cabinets look dirty, thought all together, you don't think about it at all. That's my two cents!

• karena_2009
    15 years ago

Great thread! I have been wondering about this as well. I'm going to have cream colored cabinets, a black range, and SS refrigerator and dishwasher in a 10 x 10 kitchen, so I don't know if I'd be putting in too many colors in that small space.

• ideamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

karena: My kitchen is small too and I wonder the same thing. My appliances are stainless but they have black an the handles and my oven top is black. Cabinets are cream, knobs are ORB, I planned on Santa Cecilia or Giallo Ornamental granite but now my 20 yr old daughter is saying that if I go with a white farmhouse sink that I should go with a dark granite like Uba Tuba...UGH!! Too many decisions!!

• karena_2009
    15 years ago

Hi ideamom: how funny; I am also considering Santa Cecilia granite and ORB with a bit of copper showing through. I don't know just yet, perhaps things will become clearer once I have my cabinet and granite samples together. Every once in a while I just take a break and then come back to the project with a fresh pair of eyes.

I would also think the amount of light that you have for your kitchen makes a difference. Since my room in the middle of the open space area, it doesn't get direct sunlight, so I know i'm going to stay with a lighter colored counter top.

• nik211
    15 years ago

ideamom your ideas sound like my dream kitchen!!

i need to figure out how to upload pics so i can better explain - but i have tons of ideas for a mostly DIY re-model. we want to go with dark wood floors and i really want to paint the cabinets white (not a stark white but not cream either, i guess more of an off white - but nothing yellow or creamy - just nothing stark, i hope finding the right color will be easy!), i love ORB pulls/knobs for the cabinet hardware, all stainless appliances and i'm also into the santa ceceila and gallo ornamental granites. i'd also like to do a white subway tile backsplash with i *think* a light white grout. the only thing missing is the sink and faucet fixtures. i LOVE farmhouse sinks but i'm not really sure if it will look right. the kitchen is on the small side and i've only seen farmhouse sinks in larger areas. the dishwasher is off to the side of the sink so i'm not sure if there is even room for a farmhouse sink - but i LOVE the way they look.

right now the kitchen has maple cabinets and a dark gray corian counter - all pretty new (about 3 years old) but it has that standard builder look and i want something more custom.

let us know what kind of sink you decide on and post pictures! i'd love to see what you end up doing since your kitchen sounds a lot like what i'd like for my own!