Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Specific layout quandary involving cabinets on either side of ran

Posted by purrus (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 12:38

Hi everyone,

I posted a layout feedback thread the other day and in general people seemed fine with what my KD came up with and I am too.

I have a couple of nagging issues though, and since he will be at our house tomorrow I really want to be prepared with a lot of detailed questions and changes for him. if necessary.
Issue #1 involves the uppers surrounding the range:
 photo kitch4_LABELED_zps11ec9227.jpg

Here is a floor plan with measurements for reference
 photo kitchenplanswithmeasurements_zps5f74d23e.jpg

I was somewhat bothered by the way the cabinets on the upper right didn't line up with the lines of the cabinets on the lower right of the range. One poster suggested moving the narrow sheet pan cabinet to the other side of the wide cabinets, next to the dishwasher, because this would allow the lines to make more sense between the upper and lower cabs. Then of course, this would disrupt the symmetry immediately surrounding the range, but I don't think that's so bad. Those narrow cabs will hold cutting boards and sheet pans so it would make sense for one to be closer to the prep area.

Issue #2: Some posters said that the tiny cabinets to the upper left of the range looked odd compared to the larger uppers on the right, and I agree with this. I asked the KD about this issue and his response confused me. I thought maybe some of you here could understand what he was saying. I was asking whether, instead of four small doors on the left, I could have three larger ones to match the sizes of the four doors on the upper right (instead of two double cabs, one double+a single).

He said this in response: "7. The largest single cabinet I can build is 36" wide. I can put 3 equal doors on both sides but they still will not match. I have 48" on the left and 60" on the right."

I know that the space on the left hand side is limited due to a header. I don't know, do any of you have any ideas for solutions to make the left vs. right uppers look less awkward? I'd much prefer a more symmetrical look, of course.

For reference here is my original thread from the other day:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0415084625000.html?25

Thanks to everyone for all the help. This board is such a great resource!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Specific layout quandary involving cabinets on either side of

I'm not completely following what you're saying, but when I looked at your plans the other day, what bothered me was that the upper to the left of the hood was skinnier than the upper immediately to the right of the hood. I'm not bothered or concerned with how they match up on the bottom.

All of that is just me though, so if none of those things that people have brought up bother you, then don't change your whole plan because of it.

Here's what we did so that cabinets on either side of the hood would be identical. We started with the measurement for the one on the right because that one was static, then we matched it on the left and filled the rest of that wall with a skinny cabinet (that is actually the blind corner access). My only concern was the uppers ....

I'm not sure if the problem is that you are working within the confines of stock cabinets and that's the problem. If that is the problem ... what about sliding the range and hood over so that you can get a symmetrical look?

I just snapped a really quick cell phone pic so you can see. Sorry for the angle (the light gets in the way) and the chaos ... we're actually in the middle of installing the hood vent right now.

I hope that helps ....

o

I'd leave the cabs as shown left of range and change the 2 on the right to 27 inch cabs[both].....clears the window by a few more inches. On the lowers-arrange the left side of sink base to line up with left side of window....that's the only thing that looks off to me significantly....

o

I love symmetry, so I get why you are thrown off by your current design. Since you have 48' on the left of the hood, and 60" on the right, I'd keep the cabs as shown on the left (4 12" doors) and do the same on the right. Then for the remaining 12" on the right (the upper just left of the sink), do a mullion glass door, or open shelves and repeat for the right upper closet to the sink. Voila - a perfectly symmetrical kitchen. Don't worry about the lowers - the eye doesn't go there.

o

I'd change the 2 pairs of upper cabinets on the left to a 30" wide and a 15" wide = 45". Single cabinet would function better to the right of the double, but for looks you may prefer them the other way around, although since you'll see them from an angle, nobody would probably notice what's where in such a long kitchen. Remove the spacer between the left base cabinet and the short wall. That moves the range a little more to the left (I think you wanted it to not show so much from the door), and move all of the base cabinets to the left.

Anne

o

I'd change the 2 pairs of upper cabinets on the left to a 30" wide and a 15" wide = 45". Single cabinet would function better to the right of the double, but for looks you may prefer them the other way around, although since you'll see them from an angle, nobody would probably notice what's where in such a long kitchen. Remove the spacer between the left base cabinet and the short wall. That moves the range a little more to the left (I think you wanted it to not show so much from the door), and move all of the base cabinets to the left.

Anne

o

wi-sailorgirl, that does really help. I will see what he says about putting at least one door on the left of the range that is the same size as those on the right, and then filling it in with smaller as needed.

These are custom cabinets, so I'm not working around stock sizes.

o

Herbflavor, I think the sink will be centered beneath the window... at least, I hope it will. In the measurements it looks like it will. The first is not drawn perfectly to scale (and that window looks larger than ours actually is).

o

Did we convince you to consider spice drawer storage? I'd nix the two pullouts and move the range over to the right and have the 36 drawer stack and DW on the right balanced exactly by a 36" drawer and a 24" drawer on the left. I'd probably make the 24" a 4 drawer stack for your hot pads, wraps, could include the spice drawer, utensils -- lots of things that fit well in shallower drawers, but if that bothers your sense of symmetry, keep it to three.

Most of the time upper cabinets not lining up with lowers looks just fine -- they are broken by splash, counters, appliances, etc. But the should be balanced. I agree that what is throwing off your plan ins the different door sizes in the center section. Is there some reason your vent can't move right 12"?

o

jim_and_anne, that's an interesting thought. I prefer wider doors, so I don't really want to make symmetry happen by making the doors on the upper right smaller. But after seeing wi-sailorgirl's picture, I can really imagine having a large cab immediately left of the range and a smaller one further to the left. I think that just might fix it. I will see what KD says tomorrow. Very helpful you all--thank you!!

I'm just not going to worry about the lines between the uppers and lowers. I think that is just me looking at drawings for too long. :)

o

lascatx, the issue is that if I move the range to the right you will see it as you stand at the front door, and I was trying to avoid something that obviously utilitarian and kitcheny being immediately visible from the front door.

And yes, I am definitely convinced by the idea of a spice drawer! I am thinking of using the left-hand drawer for spices and measuring cups. My only worry is that my gazillions of utensils won't all fit in the large top drawer on the right.

o

Also lascatx, I am using both of those narrow cabs to store my myriad stock of sheet pans, muffin tins, cooling racks, and cutting boards--I will need all of that space, trust me! I am going to say no to the spice pull out by the range.

o

What about moving the range 12 inches to the left, combine the 2 x12 inch cabinets and put next to DW. That gives you 36 inch upper left and 72 right, so 18 inch doors for everybody! The range would be flanked by matching 36 inch drawer stacks, which while not important, would happen to line up with the uppers flanking the hood.

o

Can't help you with the layout. Just curious since most is labeled....Where are you putting your dishes, glassware and silverware?

o

Island, here is the rest of the layout:
 photo kitch3-LABELED_zps531c5657.jpg

Fridge wall, which faces sink and range:
 photo kitch1_LABELED_zps6d5851ec.jpg

o

My goal with putting the plates and flatware on that wall was to enable kids and spouse to get a snack and drink and use the microwave without entering the cooking zone. LOL!

o

"Not sure what to put here" -----> fire extinguisher? I plan on putting mine in an angled upper like that, it's on the way out of the room which is what you want. Not sure what kind of sign or symbol I will put on the outside though, definitely want others to know where to look!

o

Williamsem, I had decided on liquor bottles... but I guess an extinguisher is probably more important, huh? :)

o

Well, I guess that depends on who you ask :-). And how much liquor you need to store...I'll just say that wouldn't work for me and leave it at that, lol!

o

I have not read all the responses, but just want to suggest that he does two cabinets to the left of the range, a double door one by the wall and a single door cab rightmost to the left of the range. It will look nicer symmetrically but more important it will *function* better.

You always want the cabinet beside the range to open away from the hood if can possibly manage it. That way you don't have the door opening overtop of a steaming burner while you're reaching around it for the oils or spices.

o

If you move the right hand tray cabinet next to the dishwasher, then move the left hand one next to the wall - that way you would have the symmetry you want on the lower cabinets. It would also place all of you drawers right next to the stove - utensil drawers on both sides!

o

Purrus, we had a very similar problem in the kitchen of a house we recently built. Long story short, some cabs needed to be removed and rebuilt to achieve symmetry.

Based on GW advice, we did what sailorgirl did, except the narrow cabinet that filled up the "extra" space on the wider side of the range was made into a tall pull out pantry rather than just a narrow cabinet that was otherwise identical to the rest.

I know a tall pull-out won't work for you, but just a thought, maybe consider making the narrow cab otherwise decorative or distinct...maybe with a glass-fronted door, or even making it open shelving.

It just helps set it apart design-wise from the other doors on both sides of the range which will now be identical in size, it's a chance to have an accent cabinet.

o

Purrus, we had a very similar problem in the kitchen of a house we recently built. Long story short, some cabs needed to be removed and rebuilt to achieve symmetry.

Based on GW advice, we did what sailorgirl did, except the narrow cabinet that filled up the "extra" space on the wider side of the range was made into a tall pull out pantry rather than just a narrow cabinet that was otherwise identical to the rest.

I know a tall pull-out won't work for you, but just a thought, maybe consider making the narrow cab otherwise decorative or distinct...maybe with a glass-fronted door, or even making it open shelving.

It just helps set it apart design-wise from the other doors on both sides of the range which will now be identical in size, it's a chance to have an accent cabinet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here