Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

FedEx delievered our backsplash today (with pics)

jaymielo
15 years ago

Our backsplash tile arrived today. Bear with me because it is really hard to get a decent picture because of the flat, almost metallic, color of the green field tile, but here is my best shot (no pun intended). I'm still a little nervous about this all coming toghether in the end, but I'm taking baby steps.

Here it is the basic pattern and tile for over the range (sans flash)

And with flash

Here are the 3"x3" accent tiles which will be scattered in the field tile (sans flash)

and with flash

And here are the 2"x4" field tiles and an art tile for the fireplace (sans flash)

Here's a picture with some of the coordinating items (sans flash). The yellow will be the paint of the wall. The wood sample is the quartersawn white oak with stain for the cabinetry and the light shade is for the pendants above the island and in the pantry.

Same pic, with flash.

The boxes are piling up in our house. Can't wait until we begin installation!

Comments (17)

• jayav
    15 years ago

Oh my god...how absolutely gorgeous. I am generally not a fan of the lighter/medium stained woods but your choices are fantastic...I would put in my kitchen...:-)

What is teh door style you are going with? The choices seems like it will be a wonderful arts & crafts kitchen.

• nymommy
    15 years ago

Wow, that's beautiful! I think the backsplash is the hardest thing to pick. Best of luck!

• yanalg
    15 years ago

wow!!! is that a a Rene Macintosh rose???

• cpang74
    15 years ago

Absolutely perfect! Amazing details! Wow-I can't wait to see it up!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jayav Yeah! You hit the nail on the head. It is a arts and crafts kitchen. The cabinet stain is actually fairly rich with a slightly reddish tone on quarter sawn white oak (again, the tricks the camera plays on this dreary rainy day in our dingy dark rental aren't working to my advantage). The door style is shaker. They are (or will be) being built very soon (as soon as I have drywall and can get final measurements to the cabinet maker). The floor will be quartersawn red oak with a natural finish to lighten things up, but the room in general is flooded with light, so I'm not too concerned with the tile being too dark for the space (fingers crossed again). The counters will be fairly quiet soapstone which I really like with the green in the tile.

nymommy You are right. The backsplash is awfully hard to pick. I worked for literally a year looking at tile before I finally pulled the trigger on this. DH hasn't seen it yet. I guess that will be a real test! Hope he doesn't hate it since he is in the kitchen as much as me!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yanalg Yeah again! It is a Macintosh rose. I had the tile custom made, so I'm so happy someone recognized it. My sketches aren't alway the best! The pendants are Medya Tiffany, supposedly with a Macintosh influence also, although now that I'm seeing them together not as much as I was remembering. Oh well. At least the colors are still in the same palette.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

gorgeous. those tiles are beautiful and will work wonderfully with the other elements you've shown. nice choices.

where did you source that field tile and how much did you pay for it? (if you don't mind me asking....)

• holligator
    15 years ago

Simply beautiful!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I would say you're one step ahead of the rest of the field! (At least!) You've got your backsplash delivered, and your cabinets aren't even MADE yet???

Were you one of those kids who had their assignments finished BEFORE the deadline? :>)

I'm just a little bit envious! And I love the earthy organicism (is that a word?) of Arts and Crafts!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Your selections look wonderful. My kitchen was originally supposed to have an Arts and Crafts style with QS Oak, but a change in the wood type throughout the house changed the kitchen. QS Oak Arts and Crafts is still one of my favorite looks. Can't wait to see yours finished!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

edlakin I happy to share. I ordered the tiles from Art Tile Direct. The owner, Christeen, was very nice to work with and patient with me. Sent me lots of samples. I believe her prices have gone up slightly, but I paid $12/sq ft for the field tile (3"x6", 2"x4" and 1"x6"). I paid $9 for each of the 6"x6" art tiles and $6 for each of the 3"x3" art tiles. The advantage for me was that I found a bunch of art tiles I loved, but the coordinating field tile was putting me over budget. This way, I was able to get everything from one source.

raehelen I am a bit organized. My DH has different words for it. ;) You should see the boxes in my house waiting to be installed. Sink, wine fridge, hood, oodles of light fixtures, LV audio components, and now tile. Trust me, my only fear is holding up our GC and delaying our move from the rental.

• jenanla
    15 years ago

jaymie- your tile is stunning. I LOVE the color combo. I can't wait to see everything come together.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

FAB-U-LOUS! Really stunning, can't wait to see it all come together (on a wall rather than a floor:)). Those little coppery tiles pull it all together so nicely!

Robin

• yanalg
    15 years ago

Jaimie, you did a fantastic job sketching the rose! I am amazed that the tile is custom made, thank you for the info, may be some day I can use it.

I love CRM, but unfortunately our house is so not A&K, otherwise I would've found a way to use the macintosh motif somewhere in the kitchen.

have you selected knobs/handles? check out the link below. But the pricing is a bit deary... :(

congrats on the gorgeous tile again!!!!
    Yana

Here is a link that might be useful: Charles Rene Macintosh pulls/knobs

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yanalg Those knobs are fabulous! Our cabinet maker usually uses Amerock knobs so he told me to pick one. They have a lot of nice knobs, but none that I'm in love with like I would be the Macintosh knobs... I'm sure he would omit the knobs if I wanted to supply my own. It is just one thing I was choosing not to mess with at this point so there are so many other details to organize, but now that I have the tile done... Hmmm... What do I have except free time? ;) Thanks so much for the link. Too bad we don't live it Europe!

rmlanza I had to go back and look at my pictures again. That does look like a floor, but it is in fact my dining room table. A pretty close match to the cabinet color we will be using which is why I started laying things out there. Funny!

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. It means so much coming from all of you TKO people. When I try to explain the colors in the tile to friends or relatives, I get puzzled looks. I was beginning to to doubt my choices, so even if y'all are lying to me, I feel better! :)

• yanalg
    15 years ago

Hi Jaymie,

these are fabulous, aren't they??? Even though the shop is based in the UK, you can still order, you know? Even with the weak US $, they are not as bad (pricey) as those I found that are based in the US (Horton Brasses, link below). I also prefer the first site (visually).

good luck with your remodel, I would love to see the finished product!!! I am so impressed with the tile, you have no idea, I was not fibbing at all!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Macintosh pulls by Horton Brasses

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yanalg I much prefer the first ones also. I'm trying to make up my mind on door knobs today, but very very soon I will have to make a cabinet knob decision (for the kitchen along with every other place we have cabinetry in the house). I bet I can sneak these in somewhere. Thanks so much for the link. j.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler