Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kompy_gw

Cost of Glazed Ceramic Tile (Heath, Pratt & Larson)...etc

kompy
10 years ago

I'm now starting to plan for my Powder Room remodel. I know many of you have used beautiful, handmade glazed ceramics on your kitchen backsplashes and I think they look amazing! I have fell in love with a bath on Houzz.com and would like to start putting together a budget.

How much per square foot are handmade glazed ceramic tiles? Companies such as Pratt & Larson, Heath and Encore? $25-$50? I figure it won't be cheap, but I don't want to settle on a generic tile.

Click link to see the bathroom with P&L tile by Goforth Gill Architects in WA.

Kompy

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz Bathroom by Goforth Gill Architects in WA

Comments (65)

• swirlycat
    10 years ago

SparklingWater - I remember them being true white, but definitely not "shiny porcelain" white, if that makes sense? More of a soft matte white.

I think they will send you a sample for around $1

If anyone is local to the Bay Area, they also have an overstock room with seconds at $6/SF. We picked up some gorgeous tiles for our bathroom there.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but fishymom, can you tell me if your upper cabs are white or an off white? If off white, can you please let me know the color? Your kitchen looks wonderful. Thank you.

Kompy, good luck with your powder room remodel. Post pics when you're thru.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Thanks, swirlycat. Good to know.

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

We used Pratt & Larson in our back splash. 3 X 6 subways from their water color line. We bought them about 3.5 yrs ago and they were around $30/sq ft. If you live near Portland OR. go to their store. I hear they have some great discounted tile sales a few times each year. Good luck.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

fishymom, you're welcome. Glad someone is progressing on ABB. I'm still in recovery mode on decisions.

• eam44
    10 years ago

One thing you may not have considered that has totally ruled out crackle tile for me in a lavatory, and has me considering glass tile instead: permeability.

I don't mean to be graphic, but are you now, or will you in the future be potty training small children, or do you have elderly men in your family? Glass tile is impervious to urine and everything else it might encounter in a bathroom, and is a much more sanitary choice than ceramic crackle tile.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Bicyclegirl, thank you, the wall cabinets are KraftMaid painted Maple in Mushroom. They are a very pale taupe-y off white.

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

EAM44, Crackle tile needs to be sealed before it is even installed. If you seal crackle glazed tile properly you won't have any problems with staining or anything else that might hit the walls. I have never had any problems with tomato sauce or anything like that behind my range top. Everything just wipes off.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Fishymom, they were out of samples of Malt!

Here's a picture I took. The darker shade is Malt, but this is on a red clay tile, that is then essentially primed and glazed, so I think some of the red must come through.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Thank you so much Sjhockeyfan, I really appreciate it! And I really like that color, I am going to call them on Monday and order a sample. So what does everyone do with all there leftover samples? I told my husband we could do a mosaic table for the patio, he was not impressed. He is so over this whole backsplash decision! I'm not usually so indecisive, but I am not going to rush into a backsplash just to get it done. I will know it when I see it, just like the granite!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

BTW, I'm pretty sure we're going with Fireclay, either a crackle glaze subway or a more graphic pattern (more expensive). Since this post was originally about price, I'll add that the crackle is about $37 a square foot and the hand-painted patterns are about $30 per tile, or $60 a square foot.

• dgormish
    10 years ago

DH said I could get any backsplash I wanted. I feel in love with Pratt and Larson. I knew it was gonna be costly so I went back to the store to look at several other things and searched the internet but I always came back to P&L. I got several free samples but be aware that they are handmade tiles and take about 5 weeks - even for samples.

I just ordered my tiles so I can tell you the watercolor motif 6X6 tiles are about $17 each. The regular 4X4 and 1X6 field tiles are about $3.25 each. Special tiles shapes such as quarter rounds and corner beaks are quite pricey. I avoided those.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Thanks fishymom. Is your "mushroom" color one that only the cabinet people have or is it from one of the paint co's - Ben Moore, Sherwin Wm's, Behr, etc? I love that color.

Am I hearing correctly that any & every crackle tile has to be sealed? Who does the sealing & what sealant is used? I've been thinking that might be what I go with for my kitchen, but maybe not now.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Bicyclegirl, the "Mushroom" is a KraftMaid color, but I had it color matched for our hood stack at Lowes and it was dead on. Here is what it says on the label:

Satin
    Base A * 432979

BsA-432919 101-1 107-4 115-0.75

• vedazu
    10 years ago

EAM/Kalapointer:

I've posted this before, but need to make the point that crackle tile continues to "crackle" after it is first sealed and installed and sealed again--for some indeterminate period of time. I show you the frame and bottom tiles on my sealed, Sonomatile backsplash behind a Lacanche--where the heat and exhaust has permanently discolored it. Nothing I can't live with, but if you're fussier than I am, you're not going to want this. Sorry, the image is sideways.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Thanks so much fishy! That is awesome. Can't wait to see what tile color you get.

vedazu, what did you seal your tile with? I have never heard about having to seal tile. Grout, yes...but not tile.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Veda, exactly correct.

It's tiring trying to explain this to people who already think they know about tile. In the kitchen, crackle tile is another "living" finish that changes over time, like marble and copper. In the bathroom, it's not hygienic. But if someone wants to spend that kind of money and learn the hard way, works for me.

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 22:10

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I appreciate the info about crackle tile - that totally makes sense and something I'm glad to be aware of as I start to contemplate a bathroom reno. We have "issues" in the bathroom that make non-porous surfaces a *must*.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

EAM, I admit to not knowing anything about tile. Why would I? I've never done anything other than ceramic subway tile in my projects & that does not have to be sealed...that I'm aware of! I thought that's what GW was all about....helping others. If you're tired of helping with great information, you don't have to respond. When I get to the point of doing backsplash, I will do my diligence in researching tiles, especially since I was interested in the crackle tile. Just to let you know, I do appreciate your information. Thank you for it.

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Bicycle girl:
    You have to seal Sonoma crackle tile before you install it: and that is already something that requires some extra knowledge. If your worker doesn't have perfectly clean hands, he can make spots on the crackle tile before he's done much more than pick it up! So, clean hands. Then you have to use a brush and seal tops and sides of each tile. After it is set and grouted, you should seal again.
    And then, as I mentioned, it keeps crackling, so perhaps after a month or so, do another application. I DIDN"T do this last step and probably my discoloration is a result of that.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I'd thought I'd toss another name into the mix: Ken Mason Tile. They do a nice handmade tile with custom glazes and stock colors; they also have an overstock section on their website. Their truly fancy tiles can get very pricey, however. The standard subway is on the thick side. That is pretty comparable to the others listed, in terms of price.

Note on the Heath factory store; they post their new inventory weekly, for the Sausalito location. The inventory includes overstocks and overruns, not just seconds. I also love P&L, but will have to check out Fireclay as well.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Thanks vedazu, great information to know. Much appreciated.

Beautiful nyse2502.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Kompy- take a look at Seneca Tiles. They are located in northwest Ohio and are carried by Mees Distributors. My memory is that prices are around $10/sq. ft. but prices vary depending on style. They are a clay bodied tile. I called them directly after seeing some samples and they were kind enough to send multiple samples of different colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seneca Tiles

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

We used Emser Cape Cod in our coffee bar. It's about $14 a square foot and comes in green, blue, cream and taupe. Not many colors, but it's a great look for not a lot of money if one of the colors hits you just right.

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

• kompy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of your feedback! I love the Seneca Tiles at Mees....right in my hometown too! These will also work perfectly for a client of mine who did a mix of mission white quartersawn oak and an off white paint. I like the Seneca Satins a lot.

Thanks to you all! All of your input has been helpful. I wish I had time to personally respond to each of you!

Check out this link about Vermeer Tile....very educational. Makes me second guess my kitchen tile!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video on Vermeer Ceramics

• plants4
    9 years ago

McIntyre Tile is about $26 a square foot. Plus shipping. They have a lot of colors and a lot of different lines you can see on their website. But some of the colors don't come through correctly on-line. They are nice tiles, made in California.

Here is a link that might be useful: McIntyre Tile

• kompy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just ordered my 5 free tiles from Fireclaytile.com. What a service! And I think the ones I chose are only around $16-$20 SF.

I also was impressed with Vermeere and order a few samples from them, that were $3 a sample. Their tile was also around $17 SF. I hope shipping isn't too bad. I'll have to check on that.

I'm excited about this for my bathroom but also for my business to offer another avenue for some gorgeous handmade tiles.

I still plan on checking out Mees as Corigum mentioned. I have an account with them.

I can't wait to see the tiles!
    KOMPY

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

I used a Pratt & Larson glossy watercolor 4x4" tile for my kitchen backsplash. This was about 2 years ago. The price was $28 PSF for the field tile. The decorative tiles and liners are more expensive.

I love the tile. I was tempted by a less expensive Sonoma tile, but I like the variation in the P&L tiles. The one drawback was that it took about 8 weeks for my tiles to be delivered. That was after I spent two months ordering samples from tile store before I decided on the color.

• romy718
    9 years ago

LARemodel, beautiful tile & worth the wait.

• dgormish
    9 years ago

LARemodel. That looks great. It looks like you got some tiles from the Motif line. Do you have a photo that shows more of your tiles?

• brightm
    9 years ago

kompy - did you ever move ahead with Fireclay or other?

We're planning to go with Heath. We were planning on going with their Modern Basics line (in stock, limited colors, limited sizes $16.50 sf). Then we changed granite colors and layouts. The new granite is less expensive, a different color palate, and the new layout means much less backsplash. So we're going to likely go with Classic Field tile ($28.50 sf, min 25 sf or $57 sf for less). We'll need about 20, so we'll order 25. That's the current plan, anyway.

DH briefly toyed with the thought of getting some of their Dimensional tiles (bowtie or bowtie and diamond) but at $77 sf, we opted to go with some pendants from them instead and stick with field tile.

Their whole spec book is available online.

I've seen the Modern Basics many times and brought home samples of all...except the white. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath spec book

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Have any of you used Heath Modern Basics in the Fern color? I am considering using this tile in my bathroom remodel and am trying to get an idea what the color generally looks like. For me using color is a revolutionary idea so I am a bit nervous about green (but I love it).

• brightm
    9 years ago

jerzeegirl, I have a sample. I'd offer to post a pic, but I don't know how that would help beyond what Heath has on their site. I'm trying to think of what I can take it with to show it's color compared to other things.

Any ideas?

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

cal - Thanks for your offer! I realized that I was going to have to see the color for myself so I just ordered samples of all 6 of them. I realize it's really hard to describe a color - this is the only picture I could find. So pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Heath Mod. Basics Fern?[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cambridge-contemporary-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1005615)

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

I LOVE that green.

Just as a point of reference, I mentioned to a salesperson in a high end tile business that I did not want crackle because I didn't want to have to seal anything. Big mistake! She went ballistic, told me she had her masters degree in historic preservation and crackle tiles were used in ancient times and are still found in good condition and the only crackle tiles that need sealing today are "those inexpensive ones made in China that aren't fired at a high enough temperature." She had an attitude and I certainly did not buy from her but perhaps she is correct and we don't have to be so afraid of crackle, just better educated on how it is fired.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I always assumed that the crackle tile from historic times was not originally crackle but got that way over the years from hot and cold and use and wear. But I am not sure about this. In other words, in the olden days, they weren't trying to be "olden".

I am really excited about getting my samples. If the green looks anything like the tiles in the photograph then I am going to definitely do it. I need some color in my life. As much a fan I am of white and gray, I really would like to try something different for once!

• Joe
    9 years ago

Used Seneca tiles in guest bathroom shower. Handmold - Renaissance in evergreen and bamboo. Many distributors. Appreciate the handmade nuances; glazes are more consistent (to my eye) than the tiles themselves. Good variation in the clay itself.

Desired handmade field tile to pair with Morovian tiles from Bucks County. A fan of Seneca, although as with most custom goods requires lead time.
    ~bgj

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Well, my crackle tile backsplash, made in San Jose, CA, is being sealed this morning, in accordance with the mfr's (Fireclay) instructions.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Just want to add something to the crackle mix. I have Sonoma Tile crackle subways for my kitchen backsplash. I think it's their Stellar line, about $12/sf. I had read here that crackle tile needs to be sealed before installation so that grout doesn't migrate laterally into the crackles. I mentioned this to my tilesetters and they said okay. I'm not convinced they did this based on how the tile didn't look like it had ever been out of its packaging until they installed it.

There has been no grout migration or food that lands on it, not that there's much of that. The tile looks like it has a clear glaze over the crackle part, including along the edges. I just looked at my backsplash at an angle and I don't see crackles (breaks) in the surface. I don't think anything can get into those crackles at this point.

I realize my tile is not representative of all crackle tile. Plus no one's peeing on it. If I catch anyone peeing on my kitchen backsplash there will be hell to pay. :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Just repeating something I read on GW (may even be this thread) - that crackle tile keeps on crackling for several months after its manufactured/installed (confirmed by Fireclay), so its a good idea to seal it again maybe 4 months after its installed.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

Always good to follow manufacturers instructions.

• kalapointer
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan - Pratt & Larson's instructions for the crackle glazed tile says the same thing, that the tile will continue to crack after installation. So it should be sealed again after a few months.

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

dgormish,

I did use P&L Motif for my kitchen backsplash. I thought I had some earlier photos, but didn't find them. Here's a recent photo. The watercolor field tile, W78, is an almond color. It looks grayish in this picture because of the natural light this time of year in Los Angeles - "June gloom."

P&L uses a different color chart for their Motif tiles than for their watercolors, so it took some effort to find a good color match between the field tile and the Motif.

I had planned to include a liner between the Motif tiles and the framing tiles, but tile installer said I didn't need it. When he did the installation, he said something didn't quite line up and that he needed to add a liner. He asked if I had extra material from my countertop. So, the extra liner around the framing is Mont Blanc quartzite, from a remnant of my countertop.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

LAR: That was a creative solution - it looks great with the countertop quartz.

• dgormish
    9 years ago

LARemodel - thanks for sharing! Looks great! Love those Motif titles. My GC is picking up my tiles right now! I got the Motif in blues and the field tile in the light blue-grey.

Did you seal the Motif at installation and then again later? I am assuming the field tile doesn't need to be sealed since it is not cracked.

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

dgormish,

The P&L field tile I used is a watercolor, which is crackled. All the tiles were sealed by the installer prior to installation; i.e, a sealant was applied prior to putting in the grout, and they were sealed again after grouting.

I chose an installer who was willing to put in the extra effort to do it correctly. He also put in a "backing" behind the tiles - they were not adhered directly to the wall.

Before ordering the tiles, I used a poster board to draw out the design, so I would know how it would look, and so the installer could see what I wanted. This helped me figure out how many motif tiles would fit in the space. Also, helped me decide that I wanted the field tiles on the diagonal. I think a piece of the poster board fell behind my range top and may still be there.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I want to add WMA89's backsplash tile to this thread. Such a gorgeous backsplash.
    It is Quemere International Fluid Aged Crackle in Turtle Bay.
    Nyse2502's silver crackle, a few posts up, is also Quemere at $25 sq ft for field tile & $35 sq ft for the mosaic.
    Lots of beautiful colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quemere International Fluid Aged Crackle

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Glad this popped up again, if only to remind me of my own post:

"Just repeating something I read on GW (may even be this thread) - that crackle tile keeps on crackling for several months after its manufactured/installed (confirmed by Fireclay), so its a good idea to seal it again maybe 4 months after its installed."

Although I see absolutely no evidence of continued crackling after installation, it's almost time to reseal!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Zeitgast's Sonoma Star TriBeCa Bossy Gray. Another beautiful crackle tile.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH