Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Counter Height Windows & WATER? issues?

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 12:17

I REALLY want a counter height window. There have been a few great threads on these so I'll link one below.

What I was wondering if any of you that have them have had any or are worried about water issues? Also we're buying a Kohler Apron front sink that is 22 9/16" deep (front to back). Many have done a small (8"?) bump out for window and am wondering if that would be a must with an apron front sink. Not sure how many inches of the sink actually sticks out in the front of the countertop.

Thanks for any suggestions! If I end up not doing this, I know I at least want a Very Small backsplash under window (a few inches?)

Here are some photos. There are many more but I'm just showing a few here : )

gglks window: (**gglks- how deep is your sink? : )

100_1074

mamadadapaige:

IMG_1346

IMG_0908

erikanh:

CIMG1138

Photobucket

And some people use bay windows. I wonder what is less $-- a bumpout or a bay window? We are planning 3 casement windows equaling 6'.

Buehl's:
Main-CleanupSinkIMG_3838400x300

Small backsplash:
buckheadhillbilly- 2.5"
kitchensink

Here is a link that might be useful: COUNTER Height Window thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Counter Height Windows & WATER? issues?

Hi! I looked at those same pictures SOOOO many times! In fact I showed them all to my contractor when we had our window installed. There is about 5 inches behind the back of our sink and the window (Franke Orca sink 5" for the wider sink of the sink and 7" for the narrower side). I LOVE it. I definitely splash water on the window, but not so much that I worry about problems (besides cleaning the window, and I don't worry too much about that!!). Prior to this window, we had a boxed out window, about 10" deep and raised about 5 inches. I HATED it. Couldn't reach the window cranks to open them, sill collected lots of "stuff" (special dishes that needed to be put elsewhere, dying flowers, thermometer, paperwork, etc). My husband's favorite thing about the new kitchen is the window!!

o

Thanks rslmt! Have you posted pics of yours? I really am excited about this : )

o

2Littlefishies - I wish I had seen these before doing the new siding. I put in a garden window but would have gone down counter if I had seen the awesome pictures a year ago. I still like what we did - but the possibiliities!

o

a2gemini- So you're saying you would have kept the garden window but lowered it?

o

Absolutely! I love my garden window - fresh herbs all winter and even a flowering plant.
Now I have spinach and chard popping - oh a a few starter squash seeds
Hard to keep up while under reno - but still surviving!

o

I coveted MMDDP's window. I showed the contractor her window, and while I did a different configuration, I still got a to-the-counter window and I'm happy with it. It's bumped out 6" and the windows rarely get splashed. But it is harder to reach clear to the top to clean them.

I have an 18x30 Whitehaus apron front sink undermounted with a slight positive reveal. It's pulled forward about 2" from the cabinet front and sits on a shelf. The counter extends 15" from the back of the sink to the bumpout window. No problem cleaning behind the faucet now!

o

I realize being practical is frowned upon at times here in the forums, there are some things that need to be considered.
First, water is invasive. It will go places you would never think it would be able to.
Second, mold can grow in the most unimaginable places.
Third, you'll never see wood rot until it is too late.
Don't want to be a party pooper, but from my experience, the 2.5 inch backsplash would probably be the most practical solution.
Just my opinion.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

o

In the erikanh picture in the OP, where are the outlets/receptacles? I don't see them anywhere along that row of windows on the counter or in the cabinets. Did code not require so many?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here