Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
faux 'glass mosaic' vinyl tile for backsplash

Posted by sonepi (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 12:12

I was watching an episode of Hidden Potential a week ago and they were doing a redesign of kitchen on a budget. They used this "glass mosaic" vinyl peel and stick tile for the backsplash instead of the real thing. In the computer rendition it looked fantastic and was like a 3 or 4 color random glass tile installation - peel and stick. My sister has a laminate backsplash that goes up the walls to the bottom of the cabinets and she is looking for a low cost alternative. It looked great on the show, but I can't seem to find it. Even went to the Hidden Potential website, but could not find the show listed.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: faux 'glass mosaic' vinyl tile for backsplash

I saw that too. Could it have been on Spice Up My Kitchen?

o

Could you post a link for us? I'd love to see it. Thanks

o

Real glass mosaic is so much cheaper now, that I wouldnt bother with a fake-look-a-like. You can real glass tiles for $5 per sq ft on craigslist/ebay.

o

o

Hi Mom2reese, I think this is exactly what I saw on Hidden Potential. I clicked on your link and the Maya tile looks exactly like the one on the show. My sister's rental house is in a low income area, so real glass tiles would be an overdo for the area.

Pharaoh, good idea about ebay and craigslist. I didn't know the price had dropped so much. I'll definitely look into it for myself. Thanks everyone for the help.

o

I've been checking ebay and most of the 12x12 sheets of glass mosaic tile is running about $14/sq foot. I found the faux tile. Its called Smart Tile Mosaic on the Home Depot website. It's $8/sq foot, but the convenience factor of peel and stick is tempting. I think I will go to HD to look at it in person. It's hard to get the full impact without seeing it in person. I just thought it would be less expensive than $8/sq foot. I may have to try my hand at doing regular 6x6 tile. They come in pretty designs now.

o

Wow, I'll have to check these out, but our backspash is only about 18.5 square feet, so the glass mosaics are not going to run that much,and I'm not afraid to tile.

o

You can get them at Home Depot, Smart Tiles or just put peel and stick tiles into search engine, also stick and go have a good range. They can all be purchased online. Good Luck, as I too am just in the process of choosing a colour/design before completing the same task.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here