Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclv

Faucets: Pull out vs pull down

kclv
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am considering replacing my kitchen faucet. I really like the Delta Leland, which I can get for a really good price on Amazon (I don't have a ton of money to spend).

Currently I have a pull out faucet. It is functional, but after 10 years it has begun to droop a bit when I retract the hose. I like the idea of the Magna-tite docking on the Delta faucets, but I was wondering how people liked the pull-down nozzle as opposed to the pull outs where you have a handle, which may make it easier to direct the spray.

I have small hands, but DH and my sons do not. Will they find the pull-down nozzle too small and difficult to handle?

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I have a Kohler pull out nozzle type and really like it. We all use it with no problem and 6'5" DH has never complained.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

We are installing our Waterstone PLP in 8 days - positive lock pull down

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I am extremely pleased with my new Hansgrohe pull downs. All my previous faucets have been side sprayers or lacked spray. The pulldown motion feels very comfortable, and it's easy to pull it down to spray out the sink and tuck it back up. I'm shocked how a little thing like a faucet plays such a big role in my enjoyment and easy usability of my new kitchen.

• Buehl
    11 years ago

Here are some pros/cons. I'm sure others will have things to add as well:

Pull Down

A faucet in which the faucet head pulls straight down toward the bottom of the sink. For example, Kohler Vinnata, Kohler Simplice

• Pros

• Supposed to be better "ergonomically." The movement of grabbing the faucet head and pulling down is a more natural movement than grabbing it and pulling it out. It has to do with how you have to grab a hold of the head.

• Can fit taller pots, pitchers, etc. under them b/c of the high arc

• Look cool! :-)

Cons

• Not easy to do "hands free" pot filling when a pot is on the counter next to the sink (as opposed to in the sink)

• If not careful, more splashing than a pullout or non-pull faucet

• the water has to travel an additional 8 to 10 inches (depending on the height of the faucet) further reduces the pressure

Pull Out

A faucet in which the faucet head pulls out toward you. For example, Kohler Fairfax

• Pros

• Easier to fill pots on the counter next to the sink. You just pull the faucet head out, hook it on the side of the pot, and go! Then when full, just move/slide it over, no lifting it out of the sink.

• Less splashing than a pull down

• Lower profile, especially useful if you have a faucet in a small area (where a high arc would overwhelm) or if you have limited height to work with (like under a cabinet)

Cons

• Unless you have a very deep sink, cannot fit a tall pot or pitcher under it

Personally, I have both...a pull down at the main/cleanup sink and a pullout at the prep sink. The original reason I got a pullout at the prep sink is that it's in the corner close to the cabinets above and I wanted a lower profile faucet. But now I'm glad I got it as it's easier to fill pots on the side. The other thing it's easier to fill is the bucket for clean water for the fish tank! When it has 5 gallons in it, it's too heavy to easily lift out of the deep sinks we have and then take it out...it's much easier to fill it on the counter and take it off w/o additional lifting up.

Pull Down: Kohler Vinnata

Pullout: Kohler Fairfax

• deedles
    11 years ago

Actually, now after reading the last post, our pull down does splash quite a bit when it's on the 'spray' function. If it's on the regular stream, it doesn't do that. I did use a pull out at a vacation home and didn't really like it. It seemed too restrictive, but I can see the pot filling application. I guess it's all in what you need it for. Actually, I can use my pull-out for pot filling. It does slide a bit back up but can still be left hanging in a pot in most cases.

• blubird
    11 years ago

I use my pull down all the time to fill pots next to the sink...not an issue leaving it dangling.

Helene

• fivefootzero
    11 years ago

We have the Delta Leland and LOVE it. No issues with anything!!! Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.

• hottois
    11 years ago

Our new Delta Leland was installed two days ago. Kitchen's not quite finished so we haven't moved back into it yet, but I love how the Leland looks and find that I keep finding reasons to go in and turn on the faucet. I think that we're really going to like it. I bought ours from Amazon as well.

I got tired of reading about and looking for faucets. I finally decided that I wanted one that was magnetic and that I didn't want to pay more for it than I did for our Blanco silgranit sink.

• okpokesfan
    11 years ago

I have the Delta Victorian pull down with the magnatight docking. LOVE IT. I've had it about 3 years and have no issue with the faucet drooping. My SIL has a pull out and I find it annoying to try to use. It's probably just what I'm used to but when we get ready to build, I will be getting another pulldown.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x