Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoerin

IKEA Before and After

chicagoerin
10 years ago

Finally complete and was so worried about the quality of my IKEA cabinets...LOVE THEM! So glad I saved the money and spent on other things, and am fairly certain I would have really regretted going with a different brand cabinets. The functionality of IKEA can't be beat and I am thrilled with them..they seem like they will last for a very long time.!

I bought this house for my daughter and I to live in and it was a dump, but I knew had great potential. Kitchen (whole house actually) hadn't been TOUCHED since 1957 (and probably not cleaned since then too). :(

Budget-

IKEA cabs including two big kitchen pantry cabs and one base cab used as my bathroom (seen briefly in one pic)-$7,000
Fantastic White granite-$4400
Appliances and hood $3500 (bought scratch and dent)
lighting, faucets, paint, etc., etc. was additional
If have any questions let me know. I gained so much great advice from this forum, happy to return the favor.

Comments (53)

• dcward89
    10 years ago

OMG...I almost thought for a minute it was a late April Fool's joke where they take pics of two different things and show before and after!!! Really beautiful transformation!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Could you tell me where you got your pendant lights - very pretty. Do they shed enough task lighting on the island? What kind of light bulbs are they?

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

awww, thanks so much everyone! sjhockeyfan-all my lighting came from overstock. the lights are turned off in the pics but they provide a lot of light. they use 40 watt G9 base bulb . I am thiking of getting a smaller wattage bulb as they are almost too bright for me.

• jennifer132
    10 years ago

Wow! I had to go back and forth between the before and after photos. It's hard to believe it's the same place! It looks awesome.

The crown molding makes it look really finished, nice touch.

• dcward89
    10 years ago

Edited for double post...who knows why!

This post was edited by dcward89 on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 13:47

• denise142
    10 years ago

Amazing!!! Is this Adel White or Ramsjo White?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Wow, that old kitchen sure had a lot going on in it. It's amazing how much more serene the new one is. How did you do the microwave shelf?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Very cool! What a transformation! I love the little retro touches. It seems to me like the left upper corner by your window would have been hard to plan and I think you handled it very well (I'm always agonizing over corners).

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Wow that is an amazing transformation! You two must be enjoying it so much.

Great price on cabinetry. It looks very good in the store. Do you know the overall cost of the kitchen reno?

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I agree with sjhockeyfan that you are in the running for the "best transformation 2014" award!

The granite is stunning - I love the pattern and colours. I like that you chose not to do a tile backsplash - it lets the granite be the star.

A tiny suggestion - see how the white cabinet shows along the corner of your island? You can easily fix that by applying edge-banding in that area, or even just brushing on some dark grey paint. Sometimes those little finishing touches make IKEA kitchens look more custom.

Super cute tub too - could you share the make/model?

My IKEA kitchen is in mid-installation (and will be for a while :/ ). I'm loving the quality of the hardware and drawers - a dream compared to what I'm used to.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

PS Just noticed your microwave shelf -- that looks very awesome and custom. Great job!

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

wow! stunning! both kitchen and bathroom. I really love the modern look.

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

feisty-always open to suggstions.will totally do gray paint. good idea. I also still have to fill nail holes in crown and paint never ends!

They are adel white. I really wanted to do tile backsplash in both bath and kitchen but ran out of money and now find I don't miss it!

tub was the Jessica slipper tub seen here, http://www.signaturehardware.com/67-jessica-freestanding-acrylic-slipper-tub-on-plinth.html

i had a kitchen designer becuase i reconfigured whole house/added master bath, knocked out wall in between kitchen and LR..he planned the microwave shelf. He is the whole reason the IKEA cabs turned out so great. Works long distance (he is in chicago, I am in OH) and did all the IKEA ordering for me..that was a huge relief. If anyone is interested in using him, PM me.

• ardcp
    10 years ago

just WOW!
    those pics are making me wish i had thought about trekking 3 hours to ikea a little harder! totally magazine worthy and awesome!

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

Stunning transformation - you must be so thrilled with your beautiful new kitchen. Great job!
    I also used adel brown as my bathroom cabs, lol.

• slush1422
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful!!! Isn't IKEA awesome for cabinets!? I've had mine (also Adel) for almost 3 years now and still love them.

• crl_
    10 years ago

That is fabulous! I love ikea cabinets. :). And your kitchen is really beautiful. We did our last kitchen with ikea and one of the things that struck me is that I never felt like I had compromised at all--they were my first choice.

Thank you for sharing your reveal!

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Whoa! What a great change!! What's the two colors in your bathroom?

• mgmum
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi teachertile-it's just one color on the walls, BM silver lake love it..very soothing

• smiling
    10 years ago

Oh Wow! That is just a stunning design and transformation. What vision you had to be able to see that kitchen as a possibility in the space with which you started, just amazing. Don't you just love Ikea cabinets!! The drawers, hardware, innards, flexibility, and ease of changes, to say nothing of the incredible value. They look fabulous, as does the whole room. Congratulations! Please let us know if you hear from Ikea about using your kitchen in their ads, I won't be the least surprised.

• slush1422
    10 years ago

There is a blog I follow that recentely started featuring Ikea kitchens. She is going to feature mine soon - I can't wait!!! Anyways here is the link to one of the kitchens and she asks that if anyone would like to be featured on her blog to email her if you are interested.

"Do you have an Ikea kitchen (it need not be 100% Ikea) that you would be willing to share on House*Tweaking? If so, please contact me at housetweaking@gmail.com for consideration. Thank you in advance!"

Here is a link that might be useful: HouseTweaking Blog

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Fabulous transformation! You had quite a vision when you bought that house. Must be extremely satisfying to have it done and looking so nice. I really like the gray island--I am doing that too.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Holy cow - it really is hard to believe that is the same space. It is an AWE worthy transformation!!! I can't stop flipping between the before and after photos. I have no doubt you will enjoy cooking in the new kitchen. I love the aqua accents. Where did you get the chairs?

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Absolutely stunning. I love it.
    What a fun tub!

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chairs were an awesome find on Craigslist. Very expensive chairs 10 years ago that needed some TLC. Love them. Recovered them and spent a ton of time buffing the corrosion out of the alumnium.

Here is another angle. the "sitting" room was eliminated and we used half that space to bump out kitchen, other half was used to bump out master bed and build my master bath. It's a small mid century ranch. 1500 sq ft.

• nmjen
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the pendant lights...and is that a clock made out of utensils? Genius! Also, that tub is just beautiful. Enjoy!

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

That must have soooo satisfying to knock that out! It does look fab, and it is an amazing project. Congratulations!

• dccurlygirl
    10 years ago

Erinb, do you have before and after floorplans to share? I'd love to see how you reworked the entire space. This is fabulous. Thanks!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Wowzers! Love it all, extra shoutout for the stools, the very nifty clock (did you make it yourself?) and the faucet arching gracefully as a swan. The fireplace is speaking to me, too.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Excellent job! Such a pretty & soothing kitchen. I'm going w/ IKEA boxes & drawers & can't wait to get them in. Enjoy your new & wonderful kitchen.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I think Ikea kitchens are awesome and am thrilled whenever someone uses them so well. Even though I didn't use them myself LOL!

Congratulations on such a wonderful transformation! You really did a good job in pairing your granite with your fireplace.

How did you find your long distance designer?

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks rae! my kitchen desgner is actually a relative who has an architecture background. I knew I needed help when I started planning on moving walls. Having an expert inovlved to help me utilize every square inch of space was critical to the success of this project. For a 1500 sq ft house, we really have a great floorplan now!

• glitter_and_guns
    10 years ago

WOW! I am stunned at the difference! It looks amazing. Like what is bigger than amazing? Words are failing me!

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

The new kitchen looks so serene and beautiful, but also highly functional. I bet it's a fun place to cook! As everyone is, I'm just astonished at the transformation. Congratulations!

I have a condo in Chicago and was looking for someone to help me with an Ikea kitchen. Definitely pming you for information about your talented relative here!

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justmakeit-just sent you a pm :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm always amazed at the before & after but WOW, what a change. Your new kitchen is lovely. Love your aqua/turquoise accents. You deserve a bubble bath in that big tub. Excellent job!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Fantastic! The "after" is just gorgeous, and how wonderful you did it without breaking the bank.

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

someone asked me about customer service with overstock, as I bought all my bathroom tile and lighting fixtures there. I will say it's mixed. I have had issues with a couple of lights. It's hard to communicate with the customer service reps (i usually use online chat) because they are clearly from another country. There is a lot of misunderstandings. I had to fight them on a couple of things and originally go them to refund defective merchandise but it wasn't easy. I have bought from them for years and think the customer service used to be better.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, what a transformation! A fantastic job! So hard to believe from where you started. Wonderful kitchen

• judithva
    9 years ago

erinb007,
    Love how your kitchen turned out. You have the exact cabinets that I am considering....I was not sure about the Adel because they are the thermofoil(?) front, but yours look wonderful! The closest Ikea is about 3 hrs away so I have not been able to see them in person...

For your pantry, did you use 2 15" cabinets together? And are they the 80" or 88" inch high (I love the idea of using crown at the top like you did) so I am assuming you used the 88" high pantries?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love your Ikea kitchen so much! How tall are your cabinets? How did you do the crown molding and what paint color/manufacturer did you use? I love your Fantastic White Granite counters! I love the placement of your microwave! The transformation is amazing!

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lynn and Judith! I still love my kitchen and couldn't be happier with the IKEA cabs. The pantry is 24x64 on the bottom and 24x24 on top. My pantry is insane. I still pinch myself. Everything rolls out so smoothly. Perfection. In looking at the renderings, it looks like the tops are 39" high, does that make sense/answer your question? I too love the Fantastic White! I used BM Paper Mache for the crown..it' s a perfect match. I just told my GC that I wanted a simple crown, nothing too elaborate and that is what he came up with. Hope this helps.

• fatherdowling
    9 years ago

This is one of the most impressive transformations I've seen. Such a huge change my brain cant even comprehend that it's the same room.

• carolmka
    9 years ago

Well done.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I just did a Ikea renovation using the opposite scheme - gloss grey and white in the bathroom, Adel Medium Brown in the kitchen. They both look so good, no matter which room you use them in.

• judithva
    9 years ago

erin,
    thanks for the feedback on the size of your pantry, it helps me alot in making decisions.

• judithva
    9 years ago

Erin, well here I am back with a question again..I just went to the Ikea website, I can't find a pantry that is sized "24x64" as you mentioned (only 80 tall or 88 tall). Did your designer tweek a taller pantry (cut it down to 64")?

• chicagoerin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi judith-found my purchase order.. the pantry is hte 24x88 one, sorry, i think i misread the design plans (happy to e-mail those to you if you like)

• judithva
    9 years ago

Erin, thanks for the correction :) Yes, I'd love for you to email me your design plans. (I opened my email on my GW profile page)
    thanks again for all your help!