Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellilou3

Which laminate counter edge did you choose?

Hi all,

We're building a house and, of course, coming in over budget. I originally wanted soapstone in the kitchen but, to save money, we're going with Formica Basalt Slate Honed counters and are trying to figure out which edge to get. What's been your favorite?

The island will be walnut butcher block with an ogee edge, so I'm thinking the laminate needs to be simple so as not to compete with it. Also, since the counter is black, I'm afraid a square edge would too readily show the seams. Thanks for your input!

Comments (13)

• Freda
    15 years ago

I have perlato granite laminate countertops with Terra nova edge. I really like it. If you search under maeT you should be able to find the pics that I posted of it.

• sara_m
    15 years ago

I've heard of using a sharpie marker the same colour as the laminate to fill in the edge and hide the seam.

Another kitchen here was posted with a soapstone look-a-like laminate and it was gorgeous!

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

I'm interested in this also. I was planning to go with a rounded - just looked simple to me... so hearing what others say will be interesting to me. maybe I should be more thought into it...

• caryscott
    15 years ago

My Mom did a "Geneva" edge which is described as an "understated modern drop ogee with clean attractive edge contour lines". She is really happy with it. Kitchen I am doing now can be done from one sheet (no seam on the top) so like the Soapstone kitchen already mentioned and Rhome410 we will do a custom top with a set on edge but a little thicker than standard. The homeowner picked this really funky pattern called "Beluga Beige". The larger sample I ordered came in yeserday. I love it but we will see whay the homeowner thinks when he sees more than a 2"x3" sample chip.

Geneva Edge:

Formica's Beluga Beige:

• mom2sethc
    15 years ago

Hello,

We have beveled edges in our kitchen. We used a staight edge in our bathrooms. I love the beveled edge, but I also like the simple rounded bullnose edges. I think I would have prefered the bullnose edge in my bathrooms.

Kitchen:

Bathrooms:

Elaine

• rjr220
    15 years ago

Love the laminate, which is in the running for my countertop (If not soapstone, then laminate until the budget allows a counter redo . . .) I like the looks of your beveled counter -- could you be so kind as to tell me which one it is? I am looking at the Smoke quartzstone in the radiance finish.

Thanks!

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I decided on a double roundover edge:

Hope it looks good!

• joyce_6333
    15 years ago

Kellilou3: The picture you posted is of a solid surface countertop. Can this double rolled edge also be done with laminate? I was told the rolled edge can't be done on the corner. They told me there would have to be a flat part on the corner.

The one thing I don't like about most laminate counters is the edges. If you can get a double rolled edge, I would definitely rethink my decision to do Silestone again.

Joyce

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Joyce, you're exactly right. That was a picture of solid surface...my mistake! I did find a PDF which shows the different edges available for Formica, and the double roundover shows a seam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to PDF document

• janie-k
    15 years ago

We have the Wilsonart oiled soapstone laminate. We had planned on soapstone but this was a whole house reno and ran typically over budget... so the counters were our budget cut because they are an easy swap out later. I have to say that I'm totally happy with the laminate and now it just seems silly to spend $$$ for soapstone that wouldn't look very different. Anyways, we just went for the standard straight edge (which also saved a lot of $$$) I took a Sharpie to the edge to hide any of the brown that was showing at the seam. It looks great and I like the simple straight edge.

• janie-k
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add that we made our counters 3cm thick to simulate real soapstone thickness. I'm happy with the way it looks... I really prefer this thinner edge.

• naan
    14 years ago

Hmm, jenocurly, I have the same question as you. I just posted a new question re: the edge on Oiled soapstone--before I re-read this post. Myabe you'll see some info. on my new post's answers or maybe add your question there? (I'm new at this posting stuff)

I have cherry cabs too! I think oiled soapstone is a great look.
    Naan