Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhm1152_gw

shiloh cabinet rating

nhm1152
12 years ago

I AM CONSIDERING "PAINTED" SHILOH CABINETS FOR MY KITCHEN. ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH SHILOH CABINETS?? I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT.

THANKS.

Comments (16)

• lambsear1
    12 years ago

Hi,

Check out the Kentucky Mama blog. She redid her kitchen with Shiloh cabinets.

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

I have narrowed my decision down to Shiloh or Greenfield. From what I've seen, Shiloh is a good quality cabinet, and I havent found anyone that can beat their price for inset. I havent found any bad reviews of them, either. My only question is about drawer construction. Dovetail is an upgrade, but I dont know what standard construction is like, and they dont mention it on their website. So if anyone has Shiloh, how is standard drawer construction?
    Sorry to piggyback on your post, but hopefully the answer will help you too.

• EllenMel
    12 years ago

I used Shiloh cabinets for a custom built hutch. Excellent quality and beautiful wood....would love to have them in my entire kitchen!

• EasyPeasy
    12 years ago

I am interested in them, too, for my own kitchen. I am going to a showroom to look at them this week. I'll let you know what info I get.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

nhm - I'm going with painted Shiloh too...but still in planning stages. Loved the free inset and the quality in the showroom. Good luck!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

I have Shiloh painted inset, no complaints at all - I definitely recommend them! Just make sure your installer is good. Our GC had to reinstall ours because our installer mickey moused some things.

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

Chris - did you go for dovetailed drawers or standard construction?

• EasyPeasy
    12 years ago

I visited the showroom today. The cabinets seem nice. There is no upcharge for inset (forgot to ask about upcharge for *beaded* inset....darn it! Anyone have the answer to this question?). I was told this is the case through 2011 and they are thinking of keeping it that way for good. Interestingly enough, when I asked about how inset pricing compares to full overlay, I was told that shiloh full overlay is a 4% upcharge.

On the negative side, I was surprised that soft close drawers and dovetail drawer corners were not standard on Shiloh (Kraftmaid, for example offers these at no upcharge). I was not thrilled with the standard drawer construction. Personally, I want my cabinets to last 15-20 years, so construction matters to me! On an aesthetic note, I do not believe that the cabinets have exposed hinges if you are into that look. I know....lack of exposed hinges is a huge positive for some people.

Apparently, there is a deal running on shiloh through the end of the month that includes soft close and dovetail at no upcharge. Just FYI.

Oh, and I don't know if it's just my computer but the shiloh website pretty much sucks. I'd highly reccomend going in to look at some displays IRL.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

I couldn't understand your question it wasn't emphatic enough.

On a more serious note we all have different communication styles but all caps is the equivalent to shouting. So sincerely: GOOD LUCK! I hope you get some useful feedback.

• coffeebeantown
    12 years ago

When I ordered my Shiloh cabs in November there was a no up-charge deal for beaded inset. I went with painted finish with a pewter glaze to match the stainless appliances. I also went with the 5 piece drawer heads.

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

Easypeasy, I assume the deal on soft close and dovetail is through the end of April? I got an estimate at the end of March and there was no mention of any deal. FYI, cost of those two upgrades for me was an extra 675. Flat front drawers were the same cost as 5 panel. So no upcharge for inset, but there are a few built in costs to make up for that.

• colorlady
    12 years ago

I'm just about to order an American made Shiloh kitchen. I can't believe there's no upcharge for beaded inset, painted finish, distressed finish, glazed finish, brushed finish, 5 piece drawer fronts, blumotion, etc. All these things were upcharges when I looked at other lines. Dovetail drawers ARE and upcharge though. Lots of color and finish options. We intended to buy maple and fell in love with Hickory...which is less expensive. Woo-hoo! We were told lead time is 5-6 weeks. I'm in New England and found a showroom and dealer in Plaistow, NH. This line allowed me to have features that I wanted but could not afford in other lines....including the big box stores.

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

colorlady -
    When I got my estimate in March, there was an upcharge for painted finish and blumotion....do you think this could be a special promotion, or could each dealer offer different deals?

• colorlady
    12 years ago

Just ordered and I must correct myself. I guess the blumotion is an upcharge because I opened the drawer of a Shiloh island store display and it clearly did not have Blumotion OR full extention drawers. So I guess those things must be an upcharge but still...in the end, I got a kitchen with all the bells and whistles I wanted from Shiloh that I couldn't touch -- pricewise -- in other lines. I got glazed, distressed, hickory beaded inset doors; five piece drawers (lots of em); full ext. drawers; dovetail construction; 1/2 ply sides; soft close doors; plus 2 double uppers in a painted/hilighted/brushed off white painted finish for $7300

• colorlady
    12 years ago

Hi designnov. The free inset option is a promotion but it is still on so if you got an estimate pre-promotion you should go back and get a revised estimate.

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

Thanks - my estimate included free inset - just not free painted finish or blumotion...that is what I was wondering about. I see now that there is no free blumotion, but was painted finish included or an upcharge?

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource