Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankieto

In Counter Compost

frankieto
10 years ago

Hello

I am almost at the point where I can finalize the details of my new kitchen before the renovations starts. Before I met with the KD, I created a list of Must Haves and a list of Nice to Have for my new kitchen. On my list of Must Haves was the In-Counter Compost unit by Blanco.

I did my homework and know the specs but I want to know the following from anyone who already has the Blanco In-Counter Compost Unit.

1. Where on your counter do you have the unit placed?
2. I want to place it in a corner on the countertop (dead corner) but the concern I have is that there will be a corner storage unit under the compost unit in a cabinet. How much will the unit interfere with any items in the corner storage unit?
3. Are you able to fit a compost bag on the Blanco pail and put the kitchen waste in the bag? The photos of the Blanco that I have seen only show the pail full of kitchen waste, no bag present. If I put a compost bag on the pail will it be visible on the counter? Currently I put my kitchen waste in a compost bag which is in my small compost bin behind a cabinet.

And finally, if you have one, are you still happy with the decision to put one in your kitchen?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and sorry for so many questions.

Comments (26)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Do people really do this? It sounds like a terrible idea to me.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Sounds gross to me and an attraction for house pests.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Why is it a MUST have? And it looks like the bag would show unless you folded it down

I compost, but we have an open bucket near the prep sink and empty it frequently enough that odors are not a problem, and use a mix of pellet fuel and shredded paper in the bottom (about 1/4) to soak up moisture from scraps and coffee grounds.

If you have a problem with compost flies and odors, you aren't emptying it often enough.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

I remember someone here has one, but I don't remember who it is.

Personally, I wouldn't do it...that's a big hole in the countertop if for some reason it doesn't work out quite as you wish. Instead, I would continue what you mentioned that you've been doing and go with a small pail that lives in a cabinet in the area where you'll do most of your prep work (likely near the sink or prep sink). Is there a reason that isn't working for you? (I ask because I want to compost more and would like to be aware of what challenges I might face with my expected plan, which is what you are currently doing.)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Old Bat definitely has it - I wanted to do it but just not enough counter space to pull it off.
    I can't remember who else.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We just use a cannister on top of our counter which we empty daily into our compost heap outside.....

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I wanted one when I started planning our reno. Then I saw how much drawer space I'd lose below (and how expensive they are!), and thought better of it. I'd want it very near to where I do most of my prep; are you sure it'll be convenient to access if it's in the corner?

• localeater
    10 years ago

Oldbat2Be and GWLolo both have one. Here is a link to an older thread with discussion and pictures.
    I thought about doing one I would have wanted the vessel right where I prep. I don't think putting it in a dead corner space is a good idea. While it does take advantage of dead space, it puts the compost container in a place where it is not that functional, IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost containers in the counter

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It sounds like another gadget they've come up with that we don't need to buy. Having to drill a hole into the counter would make the decision for me.

A canister with a good tight lid sounds like a good option to me. If I were to dispose and rinse it out at the end of each day. I don't like to keep garbage in the house, even the empty food packaging. Still, I don't usually take the trash out each night.

I like to keep a waste bowl on the counter as I work, then it all goes over to the GD or trash when I'm done. I find it efficient and it keeps things neat.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Snook - it is not a new concept. I have friends with 10-20 year old kitchens who have this and love it - told me I had to get one but no space for it in my kitchen. The same one was made by another manufacturer before Blanco. I thought the design was pretty nifty and if I had 2 sinks and an island - I would have done it.

I ended up using recycled zip lock bags and freeze my compost until it can go outside to the compost bin or city bin.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Wow, what a pity there were so many negative comments.
    Ours is ordered, but reno doesn't start until June, so I have no photos for you.

If you already compost and are dedicated to it, then you know how easy and important it is, and that bugs are not an issue.

I can't wait! Nothing to clutter up the counter, and no more reaching under the sink (open door, lift lid on compost pail, hope I aim ok) every time I have to throw out my veggie scraps.

I don't use compost bags now, and don't plan to later, either. I try not to use any plastic bags, actually, and the compost pail is supposedly dishwasher safe anyway, so why bother?

In terms of the dead space, ours will be behind my pot drawers, so they're going to cut the pot drawer so that 1/2 of it is shallow, and the other 1/2 will be full depth.

For me, it is sooo worth the whole in the counter, but I don't have it yet, so no BTDT, sorry.

• dretutz
    10 years ago

I use a covered SS compost bucket with a charcoal filter in the lid. It sits in my large, deep Franke sink and is emptied when full. Sometimes 2X a day; other times 5X a week. I am happy with this solution. I keep a vermi culture box in the garden for kitchen scraps which feed my vegie garden boxes. Not everyone can tolerate a box of worms, but my garden loves it. Everyone comments that it looks like my vegies and flowers are on steroids.

• kam76
    10 years ago

I think all these negative comments are from people who don't actually compost. I am an avid composter and have been for the past 12 years. If you empty your compost regularly there are no smell/bug problems. I just tear off a piece of paper grocery bag or put used paper towels in the bottom of my bin and everything slides out nicely. My struggle is where to put the in-counter composter as well. Obviously the prep area is good but I also do a lot of dish scraping into the bin after meals so near the clean up area would be good too. I would just love to get it off my counter top. Putting it underneath in a cabinet is not an option for me because I feel like I use it 10 million times a day. I would just make sure in your corner that it is easy to reach both for putting items in and also for getting the unit out of the counter...it can get quite heavy if full. I guess I look at it like this: you can take the unit out to move it to an area that you need it (in an infrequent type of situation) just like you would move your on top of the counter unit. Also, if you are committed to giving the space to an on the counter unit anyway, why not have it flush with the counter instead of sticking up? Sounds like you are trying to use dead space so you are not even affecting any storage below.

• frankieto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did not expect so many negative comments. I am a regular composter and take out my compost every day. The unit I use currently is similar to what olivertwist has. I have been composting for many years and never have I seen any pests or insects in my house. When there is something smelly in the unit I take it outside immediately.

The reason why this is a Must Have is because the chopping is done on a cutting board on the counter and it would make sense to simply slide in the scraps to the compost unit instead of opening up a lower cabiner door and pulling out the compost unit. What may not work for others will work for me. I saw it in a showroom and realized that it is something that can work in my new kitchen. Thank you oldbat2be for showing your photos.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I agree that it would be a wonderfully functional addition to a kitchen! Lacking space for it, this is my solution, which is pretty good, but not nearly as awesome:

All the prep scraps get scraped into the prep sink, and then I throw them all into the compost pail after prep is complete. Things would be much neater with the in-counter model right there.

I agree with you that a liner bag is a nice convenience, and hope it's compatible with your Blanco. My organic market's produce bags are compostable cornstarch bags! So no need for me to buy them.

• muskokascp
    10 years ago

We compost a lot but I decided against an in counter compost system to try and keep the fruit flies at bay in the summer. Now we keep all our compost in a compostable bag in the freezer and it works like a charm. I like not having to empty the container daily and wiping it out.

I would suggest trying the freezer method before committing to a large hole being cut in your counter.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I like that freezer idea! Thought about the hole in the counter thing but just couldn't give up an inch of drawer space. Whatever works for anyone is worth it.

For the Vitamix people: somewhere I read about having a dedicated compost cup for the VM. Cram your stuff in there with a bit of h20 and let 'er rip. Dilute in a big pail of h20 and feed the gardens. No more turning of the heap. I kind of like that idea, myself.

• eleena
    10 years ago

Deedles,

You are my hero!

Why didn't I think of Vitamix for scraps? The only thing holding back my composting was having to chop the scraps by hand. Well, that and having a very small backyard, LOL.

BTW, I really like that Blanco thing but DH would never let me cut such a big hole in our soapstone. He didn't even let me cut one for an electrical pop-up outlet. :-(

Also, I do most of the prep work over the sink, so it is easier to put a container inside the sink and damp the stuff into it. I have a nice SS one with tightly closed lid, one of those to keep tea or grains. It usually sits on the counter and you'd never guess it contains compost.

Just my 2 cents...

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Deedles that is ingenious! I was going to start tossing more of my veggie scraps outside but watering with them is even better! lol I take it that it does not cause odors or other problems?

I guess if you have the sink in an island, keeping a container off of it feels neater. But with a backsplash, I can't see cutting into the counter when you can just put a pretty canister on it. The in-counter unit takes up just as much counter space.

• calumin
    10 years ago

We've just started using an inset Blanco compost unit that sits over a dead corner cabinet area. It is great, and it also fits a 3 gal compost bag without anything showing.

The only question I have is the lid doesn't have anywhere to put a carbon filter for odor control. Has anyone put something in there for this purpose? I was looking at this one from simplehuman but am not sure if it would fit.

simplehuman odorsorb

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Our Carbon Filter on our old one got thrown out ages ago and it never posed a problem.

GC cut the whole in the drawer last week for the compost pail. Countertops templated last week and being fabricated now, so I will soon have a compost pail to show off.

9 years ago

Any updates from you folks who were waiting for your in-counter compost buckets? I'm curious about odor and fruit-flies. We now have a stainless bucket by the back door with a compostable bag in it and suffer from both problems if we're a bit slow about emptying. I'd hate to chop a hole in the counter only to find out that the bucket has to be emptied as soon as anything is put in.

• olivertwistkitchen
    9 years ago

LOVE mine. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Once or twice over the summer I noticed some fruit fly larva, but no different from when the bucket was under the counter. Otherwise no issues whatsoever. I take it outside once a week or less. It does not smell, and even the rare times that it does, when the lid is on it, you can not smell it AT ALL.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I would not want a pail of rotting food under my counter. (Find enough of that in the frig).

• blue violet
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We are drawing plans for our kitchen now, and the integrated compost bin is a Must Have. We have a big veg garden and we eat a ton of vegetables. We empty the compost pail at least twice a day. We compost vacuum dirt and lint... we use our compost pail more than any other waste container, but you don't hear people arguing against finding a sleek solution for the trash/recycling. We live in a warm clime and would like to go another step: installing compost access in the kitchen exterior wall, adjacent to our outdoor garden sink. The compost bucket will be emptied from outside, whenever someone is at the garden sink. Finding the sweet spot in the counter will be the big challenge, but dang if that hole isn't getting drilled :-) In fact, I'd like to use the drilled out stone as a cover, if we can.

Tip: I catch water that would otherwise go down the drain, into the compost pail, so that it's a pretty sloshy mix. It empties nicely into the compost pile, which is simply a moveable frame that we reposition around the garden when it fills. Water that would have gone down the drain makes it into the garden. Every little bit helps, around here.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022