Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kompy UPDATE: My Plain & Fancy Kitchen in Progress

Posted by kompy (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 11:55

I posted a few months ago. I went through a divorce in 2010 and purchased a 1930's Colonial. I finally got around to remodeling my bath and kitchen this year.

Here's my before! Not bad for almost 60 years old. The cabinets had solid birch end panels. The range was cool but the oven's thermostat was unreliable. I never really knew what it was heated to. LOL. The oven door would fall open easily and was dangerous.

Kompy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Picture #1

Here it is....mostly done except for backsplash, paint, trimwork, DW panel and flooring is not completed.

Details:
Cabinets: Plain & Fancy Custom Cabinetry
Door: Vogue flush inset w/ F20 (ogee) edge detail on frame
Finish: Cascade White Enamel in Low Sheen
Countertop: Silestone Quartz "Lagoon"
Sink: KWC
Faucet: KWC
Flooring: Bella Cera (I forget the wood/finish)
Lighting: Rejuvenation
DW: ASKO fully integrated
Range: Fivestar 48" all gas w/ sealed burners
Hood: Independent Hoods (now out of biz :-(

o
Picture #2

Sink closeup

o
RE: Kompy UPDATE: My Plain & Fancy Kitchen in Progress

It looks great! I'm always a fan of vintage style. Do you still instinctively reach out to catch the oven door? ;)

o
Picture #3

I never thought I'd go with pre-finished wood floors but I did....and I LOVE it! This floor is SO easy to sweep and clean! Even though its darkish, it doesn't really show that much dust/dirt.

o

I went with an ogee style edge on the quartz top. Picked up some pink tulips at Trader Joes!

o
Picture #4

I want to sleep in this kitchen! :-)

o
Silestone Lagoon

Here's a closeup on the Silestone Lagoon top. I also got this in my bathroom in January....loved it so much....had to have it in my kitchen too.

o
bath

Ok, while I'm at it, here's the bathroom I remodeled just prior to the kitchen. I So can't wait to get back to normal! And clean up the dust that's everywhere!
Kompy

o

Just stunning! I love it!

o

You managed to update beautifully and have a lovely nod to the era of your home. Congratulations on a beautiful remodel. Your bathroom is wonderful too ! c

o

Beautiful! I like everything a lot. Congratulations, Kompy.

o

Gorgeous! Enjoy!

o

so pretty! love the plate rack and your hood especially!

o

Kompy I love it! Every detail is perfect. The floor...thud.

o

Lovely! So cohesive and inviting! The edge on the quartz is beautiful. Your kitchen has a wonderful, period, always-been-this-way feel to it. I imagine the space smelling of fresh snickerdoodles fresh out of the oven. Congratulations!

Also love your bathroom! The wall color and beadboard make it so clean and happy. I'd love to walk into a bathroom like that every morning.

Just a couple of questions. What are you planning for your kitchen BS? Also, what is the paint color in the bathroom? Thanks!

o

Kompy, it's beautiful!! You have a wonderful sense of style, and your remodel suits the house.

o

Beautiful transformation!
Those cabinets are to die for!
Love P& F, but alas they're not on the west coast. I always hear they have a great painted finish; is that why you chose them?

I love insert cabs too, but keep hearing maybe not for me because my kitchen isn't large, but it looks like yours isn't king size either. Did you feel like you lost much space by going insert?

Can we please see a pic or 2 from another angle, your fridge and 4th wall perhaps?

Your countertop looks beautiful too. What are you thinking of using for your backsplash?

Your floors look great. Why did you think you wouldn't like prefinished floors? I don't have wood now, but that's the plan and prefinished seems to be what everyone shows me. Are there normally disadvantages to it?
If you think of the brand and color please post the info; I'd also like easy are.

Thanks for sharing and your BR is lovely too!

o

Beautiful and of course well done. Such good taste.

With all you have done for all of us here, you deserve a little kitchen joy yourself!

Enjoy.

o

Va va va voom! What a beautiful new kitchen. Love the range and hood especially, and those cabinets are fabulous!! Great job!!! Congratulations. :-)

o

Kompy, it's lovely! I remember your sketches and have been waiting for this. Fabulous hood, countertops, floor and cabinets. I'd sleep in there too!

o

Looks very cozy, great job! Looking forward to seeing the rest when it's done.

o

hi kompy!! I wondered when you were going to post again.
Great to hear from you ! Your home looks so warm and inviting. I love everything !!

Time to build some new memories Ü

o

It came together wonderfully... a really lovely space. Enjoy!

o

I love the Plain & Fancy Inset White Cabinets! I love the hardware chosen. I love the gorgeous counters and the edge chosen. I really adore your floors and wish you would look up for all of us the wood chosen and the color and width. Your appliances are all beautiful. Your kitchen is gorgeous as I knew it would be as you have good taste. Your bathroom also looks so nice!

o

Every last detail is to die for. I don't often post, but just had to tell you how gorgeous your kitchen and bathroom are.

o

Everything looks sooooo beautiful! Wonderful kitchen!!

o

That is SOOO beautiful!! You were brave to do the 48" range... What are the dimensions of your room?

The bath is adorable!

Nancy

o

All of it is wonderful! Such beautiful cabinetry and lovely overall style. Could you share the name of your rejuvenation pendant?

o

A classic beauty Kompy. See you also liked the plate rack. Brava and congrats.

o

Lovely, thanks for sharing. I first saw the post when it was only the before picture, so I was confused. Glad I looked again! When I was reading about your wood floors and I read that part about not showing much dirt, I had to laugh, and said to myself, "but it shows blue tape pretty well" :)

Anyway, just a beautiful room and I love your BR too.

o

Wow! Thanks for sharing. It is looking spectacular!!! Love your cabs, counter, and your floors.
And of course your cooking area with the ovens and hood!
Zowie!!!
More pictures as you finish this project!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

o

very well done. enjoy!

o

Everything is so pretty! Wow - what a stove! Enjoy!

o

Just awesome, Kompy! I'm not sure I'd like to sleep in it, but I would love to cook in it and then clean up later! Beautiful!

o

This is the most delicious and perfect kitchen. It is so respectful of the age of your home- as someone else said, it feels like it has always been there. Classy, elegant.. a real show-stopper. I absolutely love it!!! I am green with envy. It is just wonderful. Congrats!

o

Wow, it's just beautiful right now! I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

o

Kompy, Beautiful job! I love it!

o

Kompy, that kitchen is a beauty!

o

It's beautiful. I knew it would be, but still so nice to see it -- right down to the tulips. Nice to see the Silestone again too. I don't find dark wood floors to be any worse either and I really like the way they look in our home too.

This post was edited by lascatx on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 15:17

o

Aw shucks. You had to go ahead and nudge me out of my lurker mode just so I could shout out my congrats! Great job! Really, really nice.

o

Lovely! I really like the counter tops.

o

Wow! Great transformation! I especially love the cabinetry and your lighting choices.

Off topic, but can you please tell me how your Asko DW was anchored? Mine is meant to be screwed into counters, but my granite fabricator would not do it. As a result, my Asko shifts forward and is not steady. I need to address this, but I'm not sure what needs to be done. I appreciate any insight you can share.

o

Beautiful, Kompy! Great job!

o

That's a very classy kitchen; I love it!

o

Omigosh, everyone...I haven't been online since Saturday. I'm overwhelmed by your comments. Thanks to each and every one of you. I'm back in the office and will respond to all questions at lunch time.
Love, Kompy

Ps. Went BS shopping yesterday! :-) 90% sure what I'm doing.

o

• Posted by kompy Ohio zone 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 14:56

Answers to questions:

flwrs: What are you planning for your kitchen BS? Also, what is the paint color in the bathroom? Thanks!

A. Good question. I kept going back and forth between white subway (ceramic or marble) and something with color. I have not found anything I like yet at Florida Tile. I do like the Meram Blanc white tile w/ grey veining from The Tile Shop. I just worry that they buy closeouts and only stock things until they run out. Also, their sample boards looks so nice, but some of their boxes of tile have been sifted through...leaving all white. I like this tile because it has a lot of diverse colors of grey and white. There was a greenish marble with dark brown streaks that I also liked. Still love it. But have decided I just want the white tile...so I can easily change my color scheme down the road.

The paint color was pulled off of a Behr's sample. I was at Ace and had them color match it. I think it was Behr's "Aqua Bay" #480C-3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
island: I always hear they have a great painted finish; is that why you chose them?

A. Yes!!!!

Did you feel like you lost much space by going insert?
A. Probably, but I wasn't going to compromise my design. I love inset cabinets and that's what I was going to have. I have a LOT of strorage in other area. I have a whole wall of pantries behind this kitchen in a back hallway.

Can we please see a pic or 2 from another angle, your fridge and 4th wall perhaps?

A. I was not able to afford to do all my kitchen at once and be able to get top of the line materials, so I chose to my kitchen in phases. The L-shaped area was phase 1. I also plan to do: 2: Hutch/Pantry. 3. Ref. built in area. 4. Free standing island. 5. Butlers pantry in hallway behind ktichen.

When I get a chance, I will post pics of my layout and/or renderings of the other areas.

Why did you think you wouldn't like prefinished floors?

A. Because my home is sol old and I have original oak flooring from the 1930's throughout. I believe you can match what you have better if you put down 3/4" unfinished flooring and have site stained. But I chose to go with a darker color so decided to try the factory finish.

The brand of my flooring is called:
Bella Cera
Wood: Acacia
Finish: Venice (previously wrote Naples...I was wrong!! Sorry...my floors are the VENICE finish!!!!!!)
width: 4 3/4"
warranty: 50 years
I posted link below to their website to find a dealer near you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --

springroz,
What are the dimensions of your room?

A. 12x14 approximately

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
Rovo,
Could you share the name of your rejuvenation pendant?

A. Pearl with the acorn globe
http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/pearl

---------------------------------------------------------------------

dilly NY,
Asko DW's can be side mounted as well...screwed into sides of cabinets. However, due to the constant pulling and pushing...they will also need to be periodically tightened. There's no way to secure it as tightly as another cabinet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------

I hope that answers everyone. Thanks again for your comments. I love it too and it's everything I had imagined it would be and wanted.

I was looking for a slightly formal, vintage 30's kitchen.

Thanks,
Kompy aka Kelly

See link below on my floors. I am pretty sure mine are Naples. I will double check the packaging...still in my foyer. ugh. :-)
UPDATE: OK, I was wrong. It was NOT Naples....I have the VENICE finish!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flooring by Bella Cera: Accacia Venice

This post was edited by kompy on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 18:29

o

Just had to post to tell you how much I love your kitchen ... it is just stunning

o

Thanks Cinnamon girl!

o

Great job, Kompy. I hope you enjoy many happy years in your beautiful kitchen. Could you share the name of your cabinet hardware, pulls and knobs? Thanks!

o

Here is a rendering, early on in my designing showing the other side of my kitchen.....maybe a year ago????

I am no longer doing a SubZero or refrigerator like that.
The door on the left is an original swinging door to the formal dining room. The door on the right is an ORIGINAL built in closet with shelves, a place for broom and swiffer and an access door to a laundry chute. I can't tear it out....as there's a chimney chase behind it. So this closet is only about 18" deep.

To the left of the hutch is the arched doorway you see in my pics. I also plan on doing a free standing island of some kind and a built-in area around the refrigerator. Wall ref. cabinet w/ tray dividers and a tall skinny pantry that opens from the side, is a possibility. I haven't thought that side out yet.

I might add in a wood to the island or hutch...or another color of paint. Anyway, nice that I can live with this for a while and take my time deciding.

Thanks again,
Kompy

o

Another view of other side.

Layout to follow.

o

For those of you who asked, here is basic floorplan of my kitchen area.

o

I was so enamored with so many beautiful elements, that it took me a few times through the photos (and re-reading... 'Duh' for me) to even notice that the room wasn't completely finished! What a masterpiece... in progress I don't blame your wanting to sleep there.

o

Erinf8, Here's my hardware information.

Purchased from: Hardware Resources

Jeffrey Alexander Brand
Belcastel Series » Order # MO6373NI

I got the matching knob and the matching polished nickel cabinet latches for the upper-most wall cabinet doors.

You can purchase them at other online vendors as well.

They are very well made, incredibly shiny (Bling!) and heavy.

See weblink below.
Kompy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardware Resources

o

Your Kitchen Designer did a BEAUTIFUL JOB !!! I wish I could have used YOUR KD :)
It came out wonderful, may you have many, many happy years there. What a lovely home you have.

o

Both the kitchen and the bath are fabulous!

Wow, I can imagine cooking on that 48" range!

o

Love your P&F Vogue cabinets, the ogee edge, the hood, the floor. I love everything. I am a lurker also, about 1/2 way through my kitchen remodel.
I've gotten so much info from your posts. Thank you for sharing your expertise and congratulations on your beautiful new kitchen.

o

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

o

gorgeous! That silestone lagoon is gorgeous, does the polish hold up to etching?

o

divorced? you?? no way, i can't believe it

o

Hi Scrappy....silestone does not etch. I love it!

Fmrquahog. Yeah. me too. 20 yrs....never thought it would happen to me either.

o

I'm SO JEALOUS! You have great taste.

What did you do with the little enamel table? My mom has one JUST like it that belonged to her grandparents. She uses it in one of her spare bedrooms for activities with the grandkids.

o

Hi Alex, Sorry JUST saw this. I still have the little red and white enameled table. There's no way I will ever sell it. It was my parents and I have such fond memories of my mother's kitchen: Making cookies, homemade Play-dough, and having family dinners. I moved the table down to my 'football cave' and my old commercial popcorn popper and carnival style hot dog machine both sit on top of it now.

Here is a picture of me sitting on the cool RED table with my sister for our 2nd and 3rd birthdays (1966)....we are just 7 days apart and always celebrated our birthdays together. we loved it! I am on the left side. I love the vintage curtains and the beadboard walls. This must be etched in my consciousness and why I still love beadboard (see my bath pics) :-)

o

Kompy- Cute picture!

Your kitchen is beautiful and I love all the choices you made! Everything looks amazing.

That being said...I need some caffeine (LOL) because when I looked at the second picture of your new kitchen, I thought you had navy blue wallpaper with pink roses on it...behind the sink. I thought....that's really pretty, you just don't see flowers like that and it looks great with the tulips!

Then, double take...I realized it was the insulation! Still, the flowers would have been pretty, too :)

o

Beautiful kitchen! Enjoy it! I love the picture of you and sister on table.

o

Kompy, it's all beautiful. You make it look so easy, so together, fitting perfectly in your lovely home. I want to sleep in every room.

You and your sister are adorable and I love the warmth of this photo.

Of course it is not easy. It took a lifetime of professional skill. It's what you do and you are good! Very, very good. And thanks for all you do for us here.

o

Thanks guys! Lavender....My vase from Hungary does have little pink flowers and I love it. Maybe I'll look for a vintage apron with pink flowers. Although, I rarely bake, would look cute hanging somewhere on a hook.

FYI, my nickname is Kompy because my sister, who 11 months and 3 weeks older than me, could not say my name, which is Kelly...she called me Kompy and the name has stuck all these years! :)

My painter came today to look at what needs to be done. I'll post more updated pics when its done.

o

Thanks guys! Lavender....My vase from Hungary does have little pink flowers and I love it. Maybe I'll look for a vintage apron with pink flowers. Although, I rarely bake, would look cute hanging somewhere on a hook.

FYI, my nickname is Kompy because my sister, who 11 months and 3 weeks older than me, could not say my name, which is Kelly...she called me Kompy and the name has stuck all these years! :)

My painter came today to look at what needs to be done. I'll post more updated pics when its done.

o

Gorgeous!! What updates have you done since? If any...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here