Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kompy_gw

Kompy UPDATE: My Plain & Fancy Kitchen in Progress

kompy
10 years ago

I posted a few months ago. I went through a divorce in 2010 and purchased a 1930's Colonial. I finally got around to remodeling my bath and kitchen this year.

Here's my before! Not bad for almost 60 years old. The cabinets had solid birch end panels. The range was cool but the oven's thermostat was unreliable. I never really knew what it was heated to. LOL. The oven door would fall open easily and was dangerous.

Kompy

Comments (81)

• armada
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

very well done. enjoy!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Everything is so pretty! Wow - what a stove! Enjoy!

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Just awesome, Kompy! I'm not sure I'd like to sleep in it, but I would love to cook in it and then clean up later! Beautiful!

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

This is the most delicious and perfect kitchen. It is so respectful of the age of your home- as someone else said, it feels like it has always been there. Classy, elegant.. a real show-stopper. I absolutely love it!!! I am green with envy. It is just wonderful. Congrats!

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

Wow, it's just beautiful right now! I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

• Eden-Manor
    10 years ago

Kompy, Beautiful job! I love it!

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Kompy, that kitchen is a beauty!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. I knew it would be, but still so nice to see it -- right down to the tulips. Nice to see the Silestone again too. I don't find dark wood floors to be any worse either and I really like the way they look in our home too.

This post was edited by lascatx on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 15:17

• marthavila
    10 years ago

Aw shucks. You had to go ahead and nudge me out of my lurker mode just so I could shout out my congrats! Great job! Really, really nice.

• doraville
    10 years ago

Lovely! I really like the counter tops.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Wow! Great transformation! I especially love the cabinetry and your lighting choices.

Off topic, but can you please tell me how your Asko DW was anchored? Mine is meant to be screwed into counters, but my granite fabricator would not do it. As a result, my Asko shifts forward and is not steady. I need to address this, but I'm not sure what needs to be done. I appreciate any insight you can share.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Kompy! Great job!

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

That's a very classy kitchen; I love it!

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Omigosh, everyone...I haven't been online since Saturday. I'm overwhelmed by your comments. Thanks to each and every one of you. I'm back in the office and will respond to all questions at lunch time.
    Love, Kompy

Ps. Went BS shopping yesterday! :-) 90% sure what I'm doing.

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Answers to questions:

flwrs: What are you planning for your kitchen BS? Also, what is the paint color in the bathroom? Thanks!

A. Good question. I kept going back and forth between white subway (ceramic or marble) and something with color. I have not found anything I like yet at Florida Tile. I do like the Meram Blanc white tile w/ grey veining from The Tile Shop. I just worry that they buy closeouts and only stock things until they run out. Also, their sample boards looks so nice, but some of their boxes of tile have been sifted through...leaving all white. I like this tile because it has a lot of diverse colors of grey and white. There was a greenish marble with dark brown streaks that I also liked. Still love it. But have decided I just want the white tile...so I can easily change my color scheme down the road.

The paint color was pulled off of a Behr's sample. I was at Ace and had them color match it. I think it was Behr's "Aqua Bay" #480C-3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    island: I always hear they have a great painted finish; is that why you chose them?

A. Yes!!!!

Did you feel like you lost much space by going insert?
    A. Probably, but I wasn't going to compromise my design. I love inset cabinets and that's what I was going to have. I have a LOT of strorage in other area. I have a whole wall of pantries behind this kitchen in a back hallway.

Can we please see a pic or 2 from another angle, your fridge and 4th wall perhaps?

A. I was not able to afford to do all my kitchen at once and be able to get top of the line materials, so I chose to my kitchen in phases. The L-shaped area was phase 1. I also plan to do: 2: Hutch/Pantry. 3. Ref. built in area. 4. Free standing island. 5. Butlers pantry in hallway behind ktichen.

When I get a chance, I will post pics of my layout and/or renderings of the other areas.

Why did you think you wouldn't like prefinished floors?

A. Because my home is sol old and I have original oak flooring from the 1930's throughout. I believe you can match what you have better if you put down 3/4" unfinished flooring and have site stained. But I chose to go with a darker color so decided to try the factory finish.

The brand of my flooring is called:
    Bella Cera
    Wood: Acacia
    Finish: Venice (previously wrote Naples...I was wrong!! Sorry...my floors are the VENICE finish!!!!!!)
    width: 4 3/4"
    warranty: 50 years
    I posted link below to their website to find a dealer near you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------- --

springroz,
    What are the dimensions of your room?

A. 12x14 approximately

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
    Rovo,
    Could you share the name of your rejuvenation pendant?

A. Pearl with the acorn globe
    http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/pearl

---------------------------------------------------------------------

dilly NY,
    Asko DW's can be side mounted as well...screwed into sides of cabinets. However, due to the constant pulling and pushing...they will also need to be periodically tightened. There's no way to secure it as tightly as another cabinet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------

I hope that answers everyone. Thanks again for your comments. I love it too and it's everything I had imagined it would be and wanted.

I was looking for a slightly formal, vintage 30's kitchen.

Thanks,
    Kompy aka Kelly

See link below on my floors. I am pretty sure mine are Naples. I will double check the packaging...still in my foyer. ugh. :-)
    UPDATE: OK, I was wrong. It was NOT Naples....I have the VENICE finish!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flooring by Bella Cera: Accacia Venice

This post was edited by kompy on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 18:29

• cinnamon_girl1319
    10 years ago

Just had to post to tell you how much I love your kitchen ... it is just stunning

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Cinnamon girl!

• chickpea8
    10 years ago

Great job, Kompy. I hope you enjoy many happy years in your beautiful kitchen. Could you share the name of your cabinet hardware, pulls and knobs? Thanks!

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a rendering, early on in my designing showing the other side of my kitchen.....maybe a year ago????

I am no longer doing a SubZero or refrigerator like that.
    The door on the left is an original swinging door to the formal dining room. The door on the right is an ORIGINAL built in closet with shelves, a place for broom and swiffer and an access door to a laundry chute. I can't tear it out....as there's a chimney chase behind it. So this closet is only about 18" deep.

To the left of the hutch is the arched doorway you see in my pics. I also plan on doing a free standing island of some kind and a built-in area around the refrigerator. Wall ref. cabinet w/ tray dividers and a tall skinny pantry that opens from the side, is a possibility. I haven't thought that side out yet.

I might add in a wood to the island or hutch...or another color of paint. Anyway, nice that I can live with this for a while and take my time deciding.

Thanks again,
    Kompy

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view of other side.

Layout to follow.

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those of you who asked, here is basic floorplan of my kitchen area.

• rhome410
    10 years ago

I was so enamored with so many beautiful elements, that it took me a few times through the photos (and re-reading... 'Duh' for me) to even notice that the room wasn't completely finished! What a masterpiece... in progress I don't blame your wanting to sleep there.

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Erinf8, Here's my hardware information.

Purchased from: Hardware Resources

Jeffrey Alexander Brand
    Belcastel Series » Order # MO6373NI

I got the matching knob and the matching polished nickel cabinet latches for the upper-most wall cabinet doors.

You can purchase them at other online vendors as well.

They are very well made, incredibly shiny (Bling!) and heavy.

See weblink below.
    Kompy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardware Resources

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

Your Kitchen Designer did a BEAUTIFUL JOB !!! I wish I could have used YOUR KD :)
    It came out wonderful, may you have many, many happy years there. What a lovely home you have.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Both the kitchen and the bath are fabulous!

Wow, I can imagine cooking on that 48" range!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Love your P&F Vogue cabinets, the ogee edge, the hood, the floor. I love everything. I am a lurker also, about 1/2 way through my kitchen remodel.
    I've gotten so much info from your posts. Thank you for sharing your expertise and congratulations on your beautiful new kitchen.

• NAN95
    10 years ago

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

gorgeous! That silestone lagoon is gorgeous, does the polish hold up to etching?

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

divorced? you?? no way, i can't believe it

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Scrappy....silestone does not etch. I love it!

Fmrquahog. Yeah. me too. 20 yrs....never thought it would happen to me either.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I'm SO JEALOUS! You have great taste.

What did you do with the little enamel table? My mom has one JUST like it that belonged to her grandparents. She uses it in one of her spare bedrooms for activities with the grandkids.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Kompy- Cute picture!

Your kitchen is beautiful and I love all the choices you made! Everything looks amazing.

That being said...I need some caffeine (LOL) because when I looked at the second picture of your new kitchen, I thought you had navy blue wallpaper with pink roses on it...behind the sink. I thought....that's really pretty, you just don't see flowers like that and it looks great with the tulips!

Then, double take...I realized it was the insulation! Still, the flowers would have been pretty, too :)

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Enjoy it! I love the picture of you and sister on table.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Kompy, it's all beautiful. You make it look so easy, so together, fitting perfectly in your lovely home. I want to sleep in every room.

You and your sister are adorable and I love the warmth of this photo.

Of course it is not easy. It took a lifetime of professional skill. It's what you do and you are good! Very, very good. And thanks for all you do for us here.

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! Lavender....My vase from Hungary does have little pink flowers and I love it. Maybe I'll look for a vintage apron with pink flowers. Although, I rarely bake, would look cute hanging somewhere on a hook.

FYI, my nickname is Kompy because my sister, who 11 months and 3 weeks older than me, could not say my name, which is Kelly...she called me Kompy and the name has stuck all these years! :)

My painter came today to look at what needs to be done. I'll post more updated pics when its done.

• kompy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! Lavender....My vase from Hungary does have little pink flowers and I love it. Maybe I'll look for a vintage apron with pink flowers. Although, I rarely bake, would look cute hanging somewhere on a hook.

FYI, my nickname is Kompy because my sister, who 11 months and 3 weeks older than me, could not say my name, which is Kelly...she called me Kompy and the name has stuck all these years! :)

My painter came today to look at what needs to be done. I'll post more updated pics when its done.

• mgmum
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!! What updates have you done since? If any...

• Whitney White
    8 years ago

I would love to see the finished product, do you have any photos of the kitchen completed?

• Kompy
    8 years ago

I will try to get photos taken soon and post them here! :-)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

Here's an UPDATE: The painter had to have surgery and kept putting me off, so I finally just painted it myself. And I HATE painting...but saved some cash I guess. The color shows more blue in the photos...but in reality, it is more pastel aqua/blue. The color was from ACE but I had to go back and have them add some white to lighten it. Sorry kitchen is messy. I took the photo the night I finished up painting as was too tired. Clock radio on the right for jammin'. :-)

• Wendy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen!

A quick question. I see tape on your flooring. Is it engineered? If so, did you run it under the cabinets or up to? How is it handling the heavy range?

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Pretty color! I don't think you ever posted photos of the whole kitchen remodel. Are you going to do so? I remember you were taking it in stages. It is a lovely kitchen.

BTW I just placed my order for Shiloh, Square Flat inset, soft white for my new kitchen. Nervous and excited at the same time. I'm not thrilled with the dealer (and I know this is a big issue) but the price was very good and I'm sold on Shiloh's value.

• dretutz
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is perfect. Love that you kept vintage look with modern conveniences. Kudos

• happy2b…gw
    8 years ago

It is so nice to see your beautiful kitchen again.

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Favorites are... Range hood, ceiling lights, counter top, stove..... Oh, you get the picture, everything is just right. Also, swinging kitchens doors to the dining room are SO vintage, I really want one but I don't have a doorway for it in my great room:/

Wonderful job.

• Avril Schofield
    6 years ago

Kompy, Any chance if you are still out here...could you tell me about your vent hood? My kitchen plan looks a lot like yours - we have good taste, yes?!

• Kompy
    6 years ago

I got the hood as a closeout from a distributors for $400. I know.... I got a huge deal. I still had to supply the blower but got a 1200 CFM blower on closeout as well! The hood was Independent Hoods but they went out of biz during the recession....which is why the store was closing out all their stock. I think you could find something very similar from Modern-Aire in California. I love the curved design...it's been a dream to clean. Rarely shows finger prints or smudges!!!

• Lisa 902
    6 years ago

I love this kitchen. How is your beautiful floor holding up?

• June S
    3 years ago

what's your opinion on plain and fancy vs signature vs woodmode? Thank you!And I saw one of your comments mentioned christiana cabinet, do you have some experience with them?