Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody have Porto Rosa granite countertops?

Posted by julia42 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 11:51

We're getting ready to start our kitchen remodel. I'm 100% certain I want to have white shaker style cabinets, and I've been pretty certain I want black granite countertops. Mostly I've been looking at Absolute Black granite. Yesterday, however, I went to a granite yard and found a slab of "Porto Rosa" granite that caught my eye, and my mind keeps wandering back to it.

I think black countertops will look great and classic, but they lack some personality, and I think this Porto Rosa would look great with the only backsplash I've found that I really really like. I really like that the patterning is veined rather than splotchy.

However, I have seen other granites that I've liked in the slab yard but haven't liked when I've seen them as countertops. I couldn't find many pictures of Porto Rosa installed online. I was hoping maybe some of you out there might have Porto Rosa in your kitchen and could comment on it or, even better, post photos. Does it feel very busy? Does it give a strong impression of "pink", or does the black have the most visual impact?

Also, if anybody has suggestions of other (non-brown) granites that are more veined than splotchy, I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks!
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody have Porto Rosa granite countertops?

Sorry I can't help per se, but I wanted to respond because I could have written your post. I am also embarking on a remodel, also with white Shaker cabinets, but I was pretty much set on a white solid surface countertop with blue and green flecks when I decided to check out my local granite yard (I've been avoiding it because I HATE browns and creams, and that's a lot of granite). I was very much drawn to the Porto Rosa. I also loved the thin veining, thought it gave it a more modern feel.

I am also concerned about the amount of pink in it, though. I think it does read black, not pink, but I'm more worried about finding a backsplash that won't clash with the pink. I'd like to do a color because I don't want an entirely black and white kitchen but I'm stymied by the pink. What backsplash are you using?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here