Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ship4u

My wife said to ask.......

ship4u
11 years ago

We've been blown away by all the kind words and compliments that people at this forum have given regarding our kitchen renovation.

Since our house is an old Tudor, we submitted our kitchen renovation to "This Old House" and, low and behold, it was selected for their on-line competition of, gasp, 500 renovations. Apparently, the judges take into account how viewers feel about the renovation.

If you feel inclined to support us please go to this link, slide the opinion marker to the right and submit your vote:

http://youroldhouse.thisoldhouse.com/thisoldhouse/submission.jsp?id=125298

Thanks for your help. We might have a chance!

They limited the entry to 6 photos, so we couldn't show everything that we wanted

Comments (77)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Raen: I thought a little like you do when I looked there... but then on the voting scale the bottom says "just not my style"... so that kind of makes it a style preference rather than an indication of being poorly executed or something. I think I'd just not vote though, rather than vote someone down.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I put my 100 in, too. Like you, Deedles and Raenjapan, I thought it was a tough-scoring crowd! Scores seemed to be always lower than what I gave, even when I wasn't too crazy about a room. I was disappointed that when I voted, Ship4u's kitchen came up at 75, but as it turned out, that was a pretty good score.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

deedles, raen, rhome, I felt the same way. Thanks!

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Put my vote in as well. I have to say that some of those "after" kitchens looked like "before" kitchens (only made it to 250 tho). How did they make it to the "top 500"?

• eleena
    11 years ago

Michelle,

That is what I was thinking too!!!
    I had to look hard and read the labels to figure out which ones were Before and which were After, LOL

• barbaranh
    11 years ago

You definitely scored 100 with me, ship4you!

And thanks again for all your help re finding the right tiles.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi barbaranh,
    I won't stop until we find just the right ones for you!!!!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Oh please, ship4u, please tell me what paint you used in your kitchen.... :(

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gosh deedles, I am so sorry. I tried to send you a direct email, but I guess that it did not go through!!
    We wanted a paint that would be soft to go with the dark cabinets. We chose Sherwin Williams Cotton White #7104 Super Paint Semi Gloss Latex.
    All the best!
    Don

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I'll vote too. Thanks for letting us know.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After I first told some friends about the contest, I went to the site to see how we were doing. Our score came up as 54, so I first thought that my friends forgot to move the marker.
    But then I saw, as others here on the list saw, that there was a lot of negative voting, that was dragging a lot of contestants down. Negative voting for people who had nice kitchens. It struck me that something seemed gone awry.
    I wonder if the "competition" is so vicious that contestants get their friends to vote other people negatively. I hope not, however, in today's world.....who knows.
    Anyway, thanks to GW we're now up to 77!!!!!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all you wonderful folks, we're now up to a score of 79!

• library_girl
    11 years ago

Definitely deserve 100!! Love it!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much...I'm hoping will go above 80.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

Done!

• linjbo
    11 years ago

Voted! 100.

• Susied3
    11 years ago

ship4you, you are now over 80! I wish we didn't have to vote to see the other's scores. But as far as I've seen, you are the highest!

Going to my other computer to vote again. :>

• colorfast
    11 years ago

I participated.

There were a few kitchens that appeared to be minor facelifts. They should be proud of their work, but I'm not sure they should be in the top 500.

• scuzz
    11 years ago

I just voted 100%. I love Shaker and the houses are so lovely. (I only live about 30 minutes from you!) Your kitchen stayed true to your home style, you've reno'd it beautifully and I can certainly appreciate all the time and effort it took.

I'm not sure people are being negative. I checked a few other kitchens and most of them are at 50%. I voted for one at 100%, just to see what would happen, and the marker went from 50% to 32????

Anyway, you have a lovely kitchen you can be really proud of..happy to help you (hopefully) win!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks to everyone, we're now over 80!

harleysbud, the marker is set at a default of 50%, you can only see the actual score by voting. Thanks for your support!!!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just went to 81...thanks!!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Winners will be announced May 11......

• brandia35
    11 years ago

Ship4u, what size is your apron sink? Also what is the width of the aisle between the peninsula and tall pantry/wall?

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi brandia35, the sink is the Kohler K-6534-4U Double Basin Cast Iron Sink from the Hawthorne Series. The finish and appearance of this sink is even better than we anticipated. We chose the double basin for washing on one side and rinsing on the other. The overall size is 33w x 22.13. The basins are 15 x 14.
    Here's some photos of the sink installation:

The faucet we used is the Grohe Bridgeford.

For the aisle between the peninsula and the pantry, we used the old doorway, which was 30 inches. We didn't want to go less than that. By removing the door frame on the pantry side, that gave us about 3/4 of an inch to allow some overhang of the oak butcher block counter top. We actually ended up with about 30 1/2 inches of clearance.

Hope that helps.
    Best regards.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

Not too late to vote....

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks oasisowner!!!! there's still a few days left to vote!!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

still at 81, just voted again.

Do you win anything? Like getting featured?

GoodLuck.

• brandia35
    11 years ago

Ship4u, thanks for the measurements. Is the 30" wide aisle sufficient space for you? I'm going to have a peninsula in my new kitchen. So far the distance (aisle) between the peninsula and the cabinets directly opposite the peninsula will be 36" and I'm wondering if that's wide enough. I haven't ordered the cabinets yet.

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi bee, the grand prize is pretty nice, cash and a truck, but the odds are pretty steep against us. Wins in categories carry a $1,000 prize and coverage in the magazine. That prize would get us started on our bathroom.....

Hi Brandia, 30 inches is more than enough for us, particularly with the open area above the counter. 30 inches was the size of the original door, so it actually seems bigger. The 30 inch space is just for walking in and out of the kitchen into the breakfast nook anyway.
    Hope that helps!

• brandia35
    11 years ago

Thanks ship4u, that helps. Btw, I voted for you.

• eleena
    11 years ago

82 now, with only two (or three?) days to go...

GL!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, thanks eleena and brandia

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

Great job! You got my 100!

• TracyO
    11 years ago

I voted for you : )

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you folks are great!!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had over 1,000 viewings of the photobucket album. Phenomenal!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I gave you a positive vote - no way should you be able to vote a negative!!!

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! One more day to go!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

still hanging at 82....wish there was a way to see how you are doing compared to others without having to vote....

Does it end on Friday night?

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bee,
    Thanks for checking. Yes, Friday night is it. If we win, it will be because of the support of this group!!!

• library_girl
    11 years ago

I would say that if you win, it's certainly because your kitchen deserves to win! Truly beautiful!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

you are at 83!!!

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

Last day to vote!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ship4u's Kitchen

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow 83!!!!!!! Thanks Bee

oasis, great idea to repost the link!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Hope you win!!

Nancy

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, and everyone. I keep checking my email and listening for the phone...:^)

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Few more hours to go!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

ship4u how did it turn out?

• ship4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it doesn't appear that we were selected. Our score was 83 and we had a bazillion GW votes. Did anyone see a score higher than 83?