Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snigel_gw

Moenstone Granite sink

snigel
10 years ago

My kitchen undermount Moenstone Granite sink split and will need replaced. Moen discontinued these and has no replacements. Does anyone know where we should check for possible inventory on these? We will have a major project and possibly have to replace the granite counters if we cannot find the exact sink. I have already checked amazon, ebay and craigslist. Any other suggestions?

Comments (133)

• DinNC
    6 years ago

J Corlett-thx for advice: Cabinet interior 31 1/2" exterior: 33 1/2. Going to get Plummer opinion before ordering any sink. Present moenstone sink measures under exterior bowl 28 1/2".

• Karen Piekarski
    6 years ago

DinNC, here is a copy of your current sink specs: http://igate.northernplumbing.com/specsheets/moen/25275.pdf

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

DinNC:

Most plumbers are afraid to tap a cabinet front off. It's no big deal, it goes right back on, but they're afraid of getting in over their heads. You need someone who isn't afraid of cabinets.

• Karen Piekarski
    6 years ago

All finished.

• DinNC
    6 years ago

Karen, looks awesome! I'm starting to make more calls to get this done soon.thx for specs- so helpful! What is warranty on new sink as composite? I'm using your pics as example to get 'er done.. Thx..Merry Christmas to all!

• Karen Piekarski
    6 years ago

DinNC, the warranty says lifetime...if that really means anything. Good Luck & Merry Christmas to you, too!

• krbali
    6 years ago

Hi everyone! My crappy Moenstone sink has been cracked and sealed for years now. I think it's finally past repair and found this helpful string. Thank you. It's a 25425. Joseph - do you think this Blanco sink would fit? Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

The Blanco will work undermounted.

• Holly Whittington
    6 years ago

Hi guys, we finally just had our Moenstone sink (that I posted earlier in this thread) replaced with a Koehler Vault Double Basin sink. The plumber was able to use it without cutting the granite. He just had to drill a new hole for the faucet into the Koehler stainless steel sink. I was so relieved and am very happy with the results. I ordered the sink from Home Depot for $298. It came with a basin rack too. The plumbing was a bit pricey at $900 but all worth it because they did a good job. So if you are still considering it, look into getting a Koehler Vault.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

$900.00 is a very fair price for that sink change out.

• Holly Whittington
    6 years ago

You are right Joseph. The sink looks so good too. Even with water spots. It gleams! The guys who did the job were great. Several other plumbers wouldn’t even touch it.

• iljc
    6 years ago

DinNC: Our granite cut out and sink are exactly like your with the same specs. We are looking to replace our Moenstone cracked sink without replacing our granite. Did you find an acceptable replacement sink?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

iljc:

This delighted customer thought this Kohler 3821-1-N A was an "acceptable replacement sink" for her fake cast iron with the swoop similar to the Moenstone.

I get $1,800.00 for the sink, top alterations and polishing, and plumbing to existing waste and supply lines because I can. Obviously the top was not replaced; not even moved.

• DinNC
    6 years ago

Hey iljc- I Got a sink I hope to fit crescent granite-- online from Menards per link in this chat. The guys are coming today to install without cutting the granite- is the plan. I will post pictures and let you know how it turns out. '

• Holly Whittington
    6 years ago

iljc: Check out my stainless steel sink I had installed as a replacement in the above pic in this thread. It worked out too.

• DinNC
    6 years ago

It's in! Had to drop in as cabinet too small as we thought. Cabinet already cut internally and we're a fraid to cut more off sides. Menards 270$ Composite sink looks great (gray) as new sleek faucet lends to the modern update. We Had to cut granite back crescent - boo-was a messy dusty job-but sink is a legit replacement undermount for weird shape. But now have normal centered opening for future replacement- important for resale. Just be sure enough room to work/turn up/ mount-and get good help--measure twice-or five times! Best of luck to all! I am happy with the results, it was worth the money to get unsightly one out/ have sanitary prep area!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

DinNC, it looks great!! Good color with your granite, too. I know you are happy!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Took this leaker out yesterday.

That's a Kohler single hole sink. The two custom holes on the right cost me $172.00 at the fab shop. Yes, the reveals are perfect.

Gonna have a 1 1/2" strip welded on to the back of a low divide short apron to cover a huge cutout on Monday. $400.00 sink customization alone.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Wow. Great improvement. I always prefer a double bowl for myself, but that old sink is pretty awful. The new one looks so much better!

• king james freeman
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

hello

I've been following this conversation for a while. I also have the weird Moenstone double sink that is cracked. Having followed the thread by Karen Piekarski I opted to purchase the sink from Menards for a replacement. I called a plumber (supposedly very good) and he would not do the job. I contacted my original counter guys (installed about 10-12 years ago) and they would not take on the job. Now I'm stuck with new sink, faucet, disposal and no one to put them in. I live in Palm Beach County Fl. Anyone have any suggestions?

• mrswebb3
    6 years ago

We encountered the same problem, after receiving our “free” replacement sink from Moen. We had several contractors out, two saying no way and a couple others that gave us options being way out of our price range....$1,000s (remove the whole counter top, cut out the front piece of granite and replace with a farmhouse style sink, with no option to actually use the “free” replacement sink). That was a year ago, just last month my husband decided to take matters into his own hands and bust the sink out himself, I ordered a drop in sink and new faucet from Amazon and we got a new disposal from Lowe’s. He had to get a diamond blade and cut the front rounded corners of the granite to 90 degree angles for the sink to drop in. He does not work in a contractor type field (I was nervous)...but he pulled it off and we love the results. The sink did leak a bit at first so we did end up calling out a plumber friend who said he just didn’t use enough plumbers putty around the drain/disposal. Sink was under $300, new “fancy” faucet $140, disposal $75ish, diamond blade $30 (I think?) and plumber friend $65. Still cost around $600 to fix (so much for a free replacement), but way cheaper than what a “professional” was quoting. Oh and we sealed the edges with 3M clear silicone. Hope that helps, best wishes!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

king james freeman:

I'll install them all for $1,900.00 which includes 6 hours of drive time and cutting, profiling, and polishing the cutout. I've done this job 50 times or so.

Florida law allows me to connect to existing piping, it's considered maintenance, but if any lines have to be altered, that's plumbing, and requires a plumbing license. If I can't connect to the existing without alteration, I'll credit you $200.00.

I killed this Moenstone last week:

• king james freeman
    6 years ago

Thank you, Joe Corlett

If you look back on this discussion to Karen Pierski's comments and pics, I have the same Moenstone sink and have purchased the Menard's sink which is a close replacement: black, granite double that fit in her profile with minor (?) mods (hole for faucet?). My counter top is silestone with the silly curves. You had mentioned in response to Karen's discussion that the Menard's sink would work,. I will be replacing the sink, disposal, and faucet. Moen faucet, insinkerator disposal and the Menard's sink. I do have a dishwasher connected to the plumbing which is relatively new and seems to work fine. If this scenario works for you, let's make sure we are on the same page and I am willing to proceed asI need my kitchen back !

Thank you

• ajarbore
    5 years ago

@mrswebb3: Do you have the brand/model of the sink you ordered from Amazon? My cutout is very similar to yours, with not much space between the faucet hole and the existing back splash. A Kohler Vault sink will not work for me. Your re-do looks great!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

ajarbore:

That's a Kohler 3821-1-NA in mrswebb3's second picture. You may have to have your faucet hole filled, but I doubt it. The sink measures 22" x 33". It will work.

• ajarbore
    5 years ago

Joseph Corlett:

The measurement from the edge of my back splash to the center of the faucet hole is 1 1/2" inches, so I don't think the Vault would work as a drop-in option. That model looks to require 2 7/16". I'm thinking that the Ruvati RVH8005 might work-- it appears to have that needed measurement. By any chance do you know someone in Indianapolis who does the type of work you do?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"By any chance do you know someone in Indianapolis who does the type of work you do?"

This may be your lucky month. I'm going to my 45th high school class reunion on May 26th. Our beloved niece and her family live in West Lafayette, IN, and we'll be visiting. Because I'm changing a sink for a high school buddy when I'm in Toledo, I'm driving up in my truck with all my tools. If you've got $2,300.00, we've got a date. The Vault's getting undermounted, believe me.

$500.00 down, I can take a credit card by phone. 248-842-5693.

• ajarbore
    5 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Joseph Corlett, but unfortunately the timing does not work for me.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Another Moenstone bit the dust today:

Kohler 3839-1-NA with the equal low divide.

Ladies, if you can't convince the old man to spring for a replacement sink, just drop a heavy skillet into a Moenstone.

• dpbpsu
    5 years ago

Hi . I just redid my kitchen and replaced my moenstone double sink in ivory. We loved the sink and took great care of it. Currently put it up on ebay. Open to all offers. Not looking to overcharge. Located near Philadelphia pa.

Has newr moen faucet. Excellent condition. Dennis d1bradley@yahoo.com

• rbb732
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone...I have a triple Moenstone with a garbage disposal in the middle. Any suggestions for what sink brands I should look at?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

What is your top made of, please? If it isn't solid surface, you're going custom sink or top replacement.

• rbb732
    5 years ago

Wilson Art Gibraltar...same as Corian. How do I get a custom top mount sink made. I went to a plumbing fixture show room and all I could find were stainless steel sinks and all are too small.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

rbb732:

You've got to come up with color/particulate matched material (which may mean sacrificing a desk top or backsplash) to fill in the oversize sink hole:

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

What is the length of your sink base cabinet, please?

• ajarbore
    5 years ago

Thank you to James Corlett and others who have posted on this topic. I wasn’t able to connect with Mr. Corlett when he was traveling to Indiana in May, but ultimately found a local contractor in Indianapolis who could do the granite modifications and sink replacement as described in the thread. I’m very pleased with the results of today!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Nice work. How much did he charge if you don't mind?

• ajarbore
    5 years ago

Joseph (sorry called you James in earlier post!): Brandon's labor charge was $780. He removed the existing plumbing/disposer, removed the sink and faucet (yes, the sink had to be hammered out into about 100 pieces!); modified and polished the cut-out; installed the new sink, faucet and basket strainer; re-connected the existing plumbing, and did some extra silicone sealing around my existing backsplash. I purchased the Vault sink, accessories and new faucet from Home Depot. Although Brandon's work is stone counter repair/modification, sink replacement, etc., this was a slightly different project for him. The tolerances were very close. Your photos really helped him to visualize how the end result should look. And, the recommendation of the Vault series of sinks was key. I could not find any other sink that I felt confident would work as an undermount. Thank you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Thanks, but I hope Brandon raises his rates. From the looks of his work, he deserves it. Mine are double his and I'm comfortably busy. I sold a sink replacement today for $3,300.00, my highest ever, but apparently that's more appealing to the homeowners than the 7 large the granite boys were quoting for top replacement. And they would have provided another junk sink.

• ajarbore
    5 years ago

I will pass your message on. Brandon, aka The Rock Doctor, is a young contractor who is trying to grow his business. I’ve been praising his work on local social media/consumer sites. Most people in my area (and elsewhere) would either live with a “bad” situation until they renovate, or just buy new granite. I find that to be unreasonable. I hope you are teaching your skills to others, too!!! It’s an amazing talent/skill. These beautiful granite and stone countertops should last decades. I would think the demand for the service is huge— or about to grow exponentially. People just don’t know about it.

http://gorockdoctor.com/

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

ajarbore:

Believe it or not, I've been contacted by a guy that wants to franchise my sink replacement business across the country. We're working on things.

I wish my grandniece would learn this business; she's in Lafayette, IN.

If Brandon's interested in grossing 200K a year with no employees, have him contact me, please.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

Wow - great work for a good price - you lucked out. And he is cute too!! LOL!

His business will grow - and it's a smart move to charge the rates he is to grow that business. He will do well.

• Tamie French
    4 years ago

This thread has been very helpful. Before and after pics of replacing my Mown Monostone sink with a Kohler Vault sink. No need to change the granite. Thank you!

• Andrew
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a cracked Moenstone sink just like Tamie's - and would like to replace my sink with a Kohler Vault (probably a single-basin model). My question is - assuming your Moenstone had an exterior dimension of 22" x 33" like mine - did you replace it with a standard 22" x 33" Vault, or does it require some kind of adjustment to account for the swoop at the top?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Undermount your 33 x 22 sink with a Hercules Universal Sink Harness or a Sink Strap or two. No special adjustments needed.

• Cassie Swisher
    3 years ago

Joseph Corlett- do you know of anyone replacing these sinks without removing granite in the Columbus- Cleveland, OH area? I have one that needs replaced as soon as possible for a home sale!

• Mike Justice
    3 years ago

We had a Moonstone sink undermount installed in 2007, Moen had quit making that sink in 2008. My sink cracked on Christmas Day 2020. We happen to have the sink with a curve on the backside. I had to find a sink with a wider panel on the backside to allow for the granite to fit the sink. I ended up getting a GGM3028B sink to fit. If you enlarge the picture, you can see the arch on the granite to match the old sink design.

• sandyaponte2015
    3 years ago

Hi Mike, do you know which Moen sink you had before? I have a 25425V model (also installed in 2007 and discontinued). I am trying to find a replacement without having to modify the granite!

• peeperssky
    6 months ago

i know this is an old thread, but wondering if there are any better options now for an undermount replacement for moenstone 25350? i have multiple cracks and don’t want to replace the granite counter tops. Thanks