Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Corner cabinet - trash or super susan

brightm
9 years ago

Has anyone any experience with the product linked below? I'm trying all different placements for trash, and this would be a good one. I initially didn't want a corner cabinet with a super susan, but had really warmed up to the idea. I was planning to review threads from the people who loved theirs today and plan out what I'd keep on mine. But in researching trash, I came up with this three bin, 32 qt each unit that goes in a standard 36x36 corner cabinet.

The run along my front wall is going to be:
18" 4 drawer (silverware, ziplocs, saran wrap, towels)
DW
33" sink base (centered under 52" window)
9" pull out
36" x36" corner

Then next to that on the next wall we're still trying to work out. The plan had been 21" trash and then fridge. But it may end up being a tall 24" with Miele speed oven then fridge. Which means I get some storage, but lose the trash there. I was looking at rev-a-shelf stuff to put below the speed oven when I came across the product linked below.

ETA: The cabinets are frameless so 4 drawer should be fine over 3, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: corner trash center

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

Do you really generate that much trash and keep it around long enough to fill that up? If you take the trash out daily, you won't, and you'll get less smells and issues as well. I can fit almost all of my pots and pans and little electronic helpers in a single super susan. They work THAT hard! And I wouldn't waste all of that hard working space on trash!

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really just wanted one 35qt-ish for trash (could go smaller) and one 35qt (at least) for recycling. Trash I'm fine being smaller, but we've tried recycling being smaller, and then things just get thrown into trash.

But you're confirming what I've seen from others, the love of the super susan. That's what I was planning to do on it: blender, juicer, crockpot, rice cooker, etc. I was thinking that they don't get accessed as often as other things, and so while the shape of the space might be a good spot, they could stay where they are now which is at the other end of the kitchen in wall cabinets above the washer and dryer, if that would help solve my trash situation.

Thanks for the input.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Follow up question:

How much difference would I notice on a 36 x 36" super susan vs. 36 x 33?

I know in the asymmetrical one, you just get the turn table from the smaller unit (26" diameter vs. 31), but it looks like you get a little patch of space along the side that could be used for waffle iron, meat slicer, big-thick cutting board etc.

My real concern is for the door. The opening would be smaller and would seem to already be a bit on the tight side. Anyone have a 33 x 33 or a 33 x 36?

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I'm with Holly - that does seem like a lot of trash and recycle. How big is your family?

As for your other question - I love my Super Susan. I have mine in a diagonal corner, with a drawer above, so I have less height on the susans themselves. I measured my tallest small appliance, and had the cabinet maker space the shelves accordingly. If they were the same height, my rice cooker wouldn't fit.

Mine contains the following: rice cooker, crock pot, mixer, waffle iron, George Foreman grill, colanders.

I also have a 9" cabinet next to my sink, used for cookie sheets and cutting boards. I have a little drawer above mine, which isn't much use - I wish I had instead put a shelf inside, for things like long aluminum foil or rolling pins. What do you plan to put in the pull-out?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

as someone who has a 33" sink base and a super susan, i can say the ss is awesome and a very good use of the corner. i have all my pots and pans, colanders, glass mixing bowls and fry pans in it. if you can make your sink base 36" instead of 33" your sink options will be plentiful, choices for 33" are limited especially for under mount. i couldn't make mine any bigger as it's boxed in by the dishwasher but i wish i could have. the only thing i don't like about my ss is i have it butting up against the range. it felt a little tight at first but i have already gotten used to it. still in hindsight a filler between the corner susan and the range would have been nice.