Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Locating Replacement Hinges for 1978 Era Kitchen Cabinets

Posted by Tom1042 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:45

Can someone help me locate replacement hinges for my kitchen cabinets? I have some broken self closing hinges on my cabinets and cannot identify the brand. They are inset type bronze finish. The photo shows a logo and patent number.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Locating Replacement Hinges for 1978 Era Kitchen Cabinets

I think you can still find these. Have you tried BB stores? Ebay maybe?

I feel like you should be able to find something darn close without too much trouble.

o

Yes, you can still get these. They're usually called partial inset hinges or lipped hinges. The key is measuring each of the sides of the corner piece accurately so that you know what size you need--they tend to come in combinations of 1/2" or 3/8" but sometimes in other sizes as well. If you have a weird size it can be a challenge (I had to get ours on eBay finally...and then we ended up not reusing our cabinets, augh!) but if yours are only 35 years old they'll probably be in one of the more standard sizes.

o

I have the same hinges, I think ours were 3/8". We found them at Lowe's. We replaced the our brass or bronze with the nickel finish. The holes for the exposed part of the hinge fit perfectly. However, the 3 holes on the inside of the door did not match up and we had to drill new. Luckily, the hinge did cover the existing holes so they are not seen, nor had to be filled. I think Lowes only had 2 different sizes. I did look on Ebay and different sites, but did not find a perfect match.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here