Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zathnany

marble convert - now what color cabinets?

zathnany
12 years ago

We are doing a 'green' kitchen renovation, which basically means that we're keeping as much of our old kitchen as we can (refurbishing the 1930 wood floor and, believe or not, keeping the 1956 steel metal cabinets). The steel metal cabinets may not sound nice, but they're actually great, very functional, durable, and inset.

The question is - of the dozens of options - what is the right color "white" to paint these cabinets? We are doing electroplastic painting and can choose any Benjamin Moore color out there.

The floors are Colonial Maple. We have black counter stools.

Thanks for your input! (and thanks to everyone who posted beautiful pictures of your white marble kitchens. your photos, experiences and tips/advice convinced us we could join you).

Comments (12)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

What kind of marble are you getting? Carrara? or Calacatta?

There are MANY threads on finding the right white (whether BM or SW or Valspar) for cabs. Have you tried searching with the search box at the bottom of the page? Googling works too, just type "site:ths.gardenweb.com" in with your other searc words so it'll only return threads from GW.

Your cabs sound very cool!

• zathnany
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your response! The marble was installed yesterday. It is called statuario marble and we love it!! It is very white with grey veins. I will try to take a picture and post it. In the meantime, I will take you up on your advice and search for the right white w/marble in these forums. Thanks again.

• zathnany
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some pictures, but keep in mind that this is a work in progress. Walls need to be painted still. Backsplash coming Monday. Appliances not in yet. Cabinets need painting. Etc. etc.

Kitchen sink counter:

Close up of countertop:

Island:

Kitchen view:

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Those counters are out of this world gorgeous! Congrats! Any white paint would be lucky to keep that marble company. If you get stuck with a few samples painted in the walls, post them for feedback.

Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Holy Smokes... that marble is crazy gorgeous!

• zathnany
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!! This is how our counter shopping went at slab warehouses.

No, no, no, no, no - WAIT! We love that one. Sales rep: "that's marble, you don't want it".

No, no, no, no, no - WAIT! What's this one? We love it. Sales rep: "that's marble, you don't want it".

No, no, no, no, no - WAIT! This one is perfect. Sales rep: "that's marble, you don't want it".

After weeks of this same routine, I researched online and said to my husband that the marble IS what we want and we agreed to go for it. Then the search was on for white marble. We got lucky finding a small company in Massachusetts (http://www.thenewfamar.com/) that specializes in white marble with a wonderful Italian owner who treated us with cappuccinos and guided us on the right options for our kitchen and goals. I am glad to have found the Garden Web community! I will definitely keep you posted as things progress.

• celineike
    12 years ago

ohhh, your marble looks just like mine (on my island) not installed yet. and it looks great!!!
    I dont have my white picked out yet... and i know it's going to be a huge ordeal for me :o)
    Im trying to stay true to the strong white in the Statuary but with a touch of warmth.
    Im hoping to get some colors figured out asap, so I'll let you know what i go with and please post what you decide!
    Looks great so far!!!

BTW, I was totally against marble in the beginning too - and not due to maintenance, just felt it wasn't my "look". But my contractor said i HAD to use her slab that she had been saving for months but couldn't use. When i saw it - i just couldn't resist that dramatic grey vein!

• carolfamily
    11 years ago

HI there. I, too am using famar and are planning to purchase statuario for my countertops. what color did you choose for your cabinets?

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I have statuario on my island. Would LOVE it on my perimeters too, but I only learned about it AFTER the perimeters were done. My perimeter cabs are very bright white (thermofoil) with blue pearl granite. My island is navy blue with the statuarietto marble. I love it! I love the brightness of the white cabinets and marble.

• nini804
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous marble! You won't regret it!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

WOW - absolutely beautiful marble!!! Can't wait to see it finished!

• Nicole
    11 years ago

Love it! Your chrome handles look similar to some that were in our old kitchen on the original 40's homemade wood cabinets. I saved a few and put them on a dresser and I think the others are in a ziploc bag somewhere in the basement.