Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfl122_gw

Wood kitchen cabinets

cfl122
14 years ago

If I want kitchen cabinets made of wood, am I retricted to the "shacker" design?

I am loking for a slab design? Can this be made of wood or even, plywood? If so, who builds this cabinets?

Comments (7)

• sochi
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only limitation with wood cabinets that I know of is if you want solid wood - it isn't advised to do slab doors with solid wood as it may warp. Most solid wood cabs are shaker I think.

But lots of us here have very high quality wood veneer slab doors, looks fabulous and wears well. I should think that most local cabinet makers and cabinets companies would be able to do whatever you desire, veneer or solid.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Wood cabinets are available in many, many styles, and certainly in slab style. And there are several sources for cabinets.

The finished kitchens blog is a great place to start. From the home page, follow the link at the right for the finished kitchens slideshow to get some ideas. (When you see something similar to what you want, you can click on the picture to see the details.) (Just a few for starters are barb59's, beatrix_in_canada's, and cat_mom's. You can also go directly to these from the alphabetical links at the right of the blog page.)

From the blog page you can also follow the Categories link, then click on Cabinets. This will give you an idea of dozens of sources for cabinets. You can also look at places like Home Depot or a local kitchen design shop.

Finally, you might want to post a topic with a header like "Show Me Your Wood Cabinets with Slab Doors" and I bet you'd get some nice inspiration pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• plllog
    14 years ago

What Sochi has said about advice against warping isn't wrong, but isn't the whole story.

My old kitchen had slab solid wood doors of oak, which is a very stable wood. I didn't take them apart to see the construction, but the boards must have been joined with tongue and groove or biscuit joints (that you can't see), whereas people often say that you have to have battens (cross boards across the back or front that hold the boards together). That is, slab are made out of several boards laid side by side rather than cuts from old growth trees. These are joined and glued. The oak doors never warped or split. There was water damage to the cabinet boxes, which missed the doors. Time, use and cooking didn't warp the doors. This is a moderate climate which is neither humid nor hard dry.

I think a lot of whether warping will occur depends on how stable and how dry the wood is. Wood should be dry and aged--really dry as wood--before being made into doors. There may be companies cutting corners by using wood that hasn't finished drying. Also some species of wood may have more tendency to warp, and some moist climates might be more conducive to it.

All of that said, many people find the appearance of a plywood door more appealing. Plywood is cut in a spiral off a tree so that there is a continuous sheet of wood. The glue is put between layers, and the layers are stacked going opposite directions (i.e., one facing north, one facing east, one facing north, one facing east) to give the finished product additional strength. Plywood that is meant to be seen usually has a veneer, a paper thin layer, of "pretty" wood on each face, and lesser wood for the interior layers. I don't know if they still make "lumber core" which had two thick layers of pretty wood, with a middle layer of lesser wood.

A lot of sleek, modern kitchens--probably some (most) of the ones you've admired--are made with high quality fiber board with wood veneer. The fiberboard is very flat and very stable so it's easier to get that sleek look, but a good cabinetmaker can achieve this with any material. When you see a curved wood door it's almost always veneered fiberboard. It is possible bend thicker wood, but it's done with clamps over time and is usually reserved for fine furniture work. In a kitchen that costs less than $100K I can just about guarantee that the curved doors are fiberboard cores (or some other space age product).

As to who makes them, that's your choice. There are factories that make cabinets. You can buy their products through big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes, or through cabinet stores (kitchen and bath emporia). Sometimes a contractor will order these cabinets directly, himself.

OR, you can find an independent cabinetmaker. Some small time guys buy their doors and drawers. Cabinetmakers with their own shops (i.e., small factory) usually make their own. Many of us here have found that when comparing any amount of custom fit, an independent cabinetmaker can produce the same or better quality, for the same or smaller price, as the big factories. Many cabinetmakers will also do all the little custom touches for the same price as plain boxes. And they'll usually do their own installation, so if something doesn't fit right (it happens even to the best of 'em, especially if there's any work done in the room between measuring and installation), they just take the piece back to the shop and fix it.

There is also the disappearing breed of build in place carpenters. Whether it's from a factory or cabinetmaker, today's cabinets are made as case goods (boxes) which are fit together and hung on the walls. A carpenter can build your cabinets in, without backs, or shims or adjustable shelves. You get more storage space because the cabinet walls aren't taking up any, less flexibility because the shelves are attched to the walls (no flexibility with drawers and pullouts in either, though ROTS (roll out tray shelves, usually behind doors) can be moved in either, though not on whim like an adjustable shelf). Carpenter built takes a long time. It's usually one guy and a helper or two making the cabinets right at your house with simple tools.

Your choice. :)

These are my maple faced plywood slab cabinets in my laundry room:

And these are my bamboo slab kitchen cabinets. There are many ways of making bamboo board. These have one layer of wide strips laid side by side on each face, with a core of strands stacked at a 90 angle in both planes.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh. The laundry cabinets have knobs now.

• sochi
    14 years ago

I happily defer to plllog! I guess it depends on the wood type and style, but that is the only possible limitation I've heard of. Bottom line, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there capable and ready to make you the wood cabinets of your choice, slab or not. There are many, many great options.

Good luck.

• someone2010
    14 years ago

Cabinet makers have been making solid wood cabinets with solid wood slab doors forever. You can get inset, overlay, or anything else. They do the same thing with plywood, the difference being the way they look. One common style used today is the Euro style (32mm) you see in some of the postings above. These are plywood without a face frame. Most of the face frame cabinets made like this I've seen are made from pine and painted. Anyway, I think you can find the plywood style at any home store.